Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think it’s harder for Pirates to pull it off because it’s so focused on Jack Sparrow but a passing the torch type film could work. 

Would love that. They can expand more on that world. The swashbuckling adventure is honestly awesome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clang123 said:

They said $79M yesterday at 12:30am EST. It did around $20M more total.

If we go by their $90M now and also add $20M more, ~$110M seems to be correct.

But this is 11 million more from the same 2700 locations as yesterday. So why would we assume the other locations didn't also increase. 

Today's number is about 15% ahead of yesterday. 

So that +20 million could also be 15% ahead, or 23 million.

So I'd say the number is more likely 113 (90+23) than 110. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

But this is 11 million more from the same 2700 locations as yesterday. So why would we assume the other locations didn't also increase. 

Today's number is about 15% ahead of yesterday. 

So that +20 million could also be 15% ahead, or 23 million.

So I'd say the number is more likely 113 (90+23) than 110. 

$110M, $113M not much diff. I wasn't trying to be exactly specific, just rounded it to the $110M number

Edited by clang123
  • Like 1

Everyone saying “this cannot be beat” for years or decades is forgetting that the MCU is 11 years old. 

There’s lots of time and lots of smart people in Hollywood. No one has matched up to Disney yet, but to think they won’t, or can’t.... that’s a mistake. 

Candidates:

- If Avatar builds an amazing world and serial story, I could see Avatar 5 doing this. We don’t have any evidence today that it will, but we had no evidence that Endgame would do anything like this even two years ago. 

- Lets say Chris Nolan took on another franchise, elevating a serialized trilogy of a re-made or new IP to superstar heights. (Bond? Side story in the lord of the rings universe?)

- Revenge of Star Wars. Star Wars 8 was awful and very poorly received. If SW8 had gotten the same reception as SW7, our collective mouths would be watering as we’d be wondering right now if SW9 could top Endgame. That’s not the world we’re in, but I could see Star Wars making a comeback with a built-up, amazingly excited, highly-anticipated movie sometime in the 2020s. 

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Tele is a smarter man than me for that

Just focus on the cool stuff. You have Game

of Thrones tomorrow night! Suppose to be lit. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 2:53 AM, justvision said:

Last week I read a thread in BO subreddit. IIRC, the estimate is that for a movie less than 3 hour length, the ceiling imposed by physical and logistic constraints is 500M OW domestic. For practical purposes, it should be around 350M.

IMO, the single most crucial  means for Endgame to get above 300M OW is to have a 20M increase in Thursday night previews from AIW 39M. This can be done by having more screen times.

Having quite good feeling as a NA BO novice to call these 7 weeks back.

Yes, Endgame is maxing out what dom can feasibly do with 2019 capacities and logistics.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Tele is a smarter man than me for that

If you dislike it that much you should just avoid forum just like Tele.. Let us enjoy out moment.. You can watch GoT tonight

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nero said:

If you dislike it that much you should just avoid forum just like Tele.. Let us enjoy out moment.. You can watch GoT tonight

You’re saying this as if I wasn’t self-referencing the fact that I should be avoiding the forums

15 minutes ago, martymcfly said:

- Revenge of Star Wars. Star Wars 8 was awful and very poorly received. If SW8 had gotten the same reception as SW7, our collective mouths would be watering as we’d be wondering right now if SW9 could top Endgame. That’s not the world we’re in, but I could see Star Wars making a comeback with a built-up, amazingly excited, highly-anticipated movie sometime in the 2020s. 

A domestic comeback at some point maybe, but I think Star Wars has lost its best chance (with TFA) to ever capture the interests of audiences in the developing world, and those are very important markets pushing EG into this historical heights. Star Wars will be around for a while, for sure, but it'll like be relegated to just "one of those franchises". 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, martymcfly said:

Everyone saying “this cannot be beat” for years or decades is forgetting that the MCU is 11 years old. 

There’s lots of time and lots of smart people in Hollywood. No one has matched up to Disney yet, but to think they won’t, or can’t.... that’s a mistake. 

Candidates:

- If Avatar builds an amazing world and serial story, I could see Avatar 5 doing this. We don’t have any evidence today that it will, but we had no evidence that Endgame would do anything like this even two years ago. 

- Lets say Chris Nolan took on another franchise, elevating a serialized trilogy of a re-made or new IP to superstar heights. (Bond? Side story in the lord of the rings universe?)

Star Wars won't do it... Unless it's released in Summer it won't break the 350M OW record no matter what..Also It's not big in Asia which is a very growing market... No Chris Nolan movie has done big outside franchise for OW record... Avatar is generally not fanboy driven so there won't be much rush on OW as there was for 350M OW for Endgame

6 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

You’re saying this as if I wasn’t self-referencing the fact that I should be avoiding the forums

Read my PM!

23 minutes ago, martymcfly said:

Candidates:

Still an impressive box office none the less. I'd also add DC to that list, especially as it seems WB is getting their act together finally.