Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

1 minute ago, baumer said:

So I did a quick theater update and at the three theaters closest to me, end game has been sold out all day and the late shows which begin at around 9 and the last showing around 11, are basically 90% sold out. The only seats left are the first two or three rows. I'm going to predict that it's going to have a crazy Sunday hold of 10% or less.

Then we would just need 3.3 on Fri actuals to go from 0 true days over 100M to 3 in the span of a single weekend.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

So I did a quick theater update and at the three theaters closest to me, end game has been sold out all day and the late shows which begin at around 9 and the last showing around 11, are basically 90% sold out. The only seats left are the first two or three rows. I'm going to predict that it's going to have a crazy Sunday hold of 10% or less.

The theater closest to me is the same. 

• Like 1

Are you in a big metro area?

12 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Remember when The Mummy Returns And Burton’s Planet of the Apes had the second biggest opening weekends ever?

Burton’s Planet of the Apes. Now that’s a movie I’ve not thought of in a long time...

I remember being hyped for that. Tim Burton! Remaking Planet of the Apes! How could this possibly be anything but awesome?

Almost 18 years later, all I really remember is that Lincoln Memorial twist, and that Helena Bonham Carter’s character looked kind of what Michael Jackson had devolved into by that time. That’s got to be one of the first movies where I was actually cognizant of my disappointment. (Actually, most of that summer was like that for me. A.I., Tomb Raider, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within...though I am one of the people who loved Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.)

Edited by TServo2049

50 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

I can’t believe ROTSs Thursday record still hasn’t fallen. 

Well, no big gun's really attempted a Thursday opening since. It's either Wednesday or Friday.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not sure. My theater had 87 showtimes yesterday. Today, it has 75 showtimes and more showtimes for holdovers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Box Office Freak said:

Have any celebrities tweeted about Endgames box office.

I want to know what the industry is thinking

Yea @Shawn has been tweeting about it all weekend

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Checked mine and the same.  Up until 11 they're all 90-99% sold out.  They also added an 11:30pm show which they didn't have scheduled yesterday and its already 80% sold out.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

The theaters in my area are also mostly sold out. I was actively shopping and got a ticket to a 9:15 showing. Earlier times had nothing available.

However, the caveat is that it appears there were pretty significantly fewer showings in my area today compared to Friday and Saturday. The 30 screen megaplex nearby had about a dozen fewer showings and nothing before 9am. On Saturday they started at 5am. So the drop could exceed 10% if the number of showings per location dropped enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhorse said:

I'm actually more stunned that it's made something like 1.2 billion in it's first weekend. This has to be unprecedented for sure.

Of course it's unprecedented. These numbers are just stupid. they're just so hard to wrap your head around. 1.2 billion dollars is a massive amount of money for any movie, ANY MOVIE, to make in its entire run. Even if the next Star Wars movie was to only make 1.2 billion dollars it would be somewhat disappointing for a Star Wars movie but it would still be a huge sum of money. This freaking movie did it in three goddamn days. It just doesn't compute.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Calm down!  10% or less without a Monday Holiday is not happening.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Of course it's unprecedented. These numbers are just stupid. they're just so hard to wrap your head around. 1.2 billion dollars is a massive amount of money for any movie, ANY MOVIE, to make in its entire run. Even if the next Star Wars movie was to only make 1.2 billion dollars it would be somewhat disappointing for a Star Wars movie but it would still be a huge sum of money. This freaking movie did it in three goddamn days. It just doesn't compute.

The first Avengers did 1.5 billion its entire run lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

I'm actually more stunned that it's made something like 1.2 billion in it's first weekend. This has to be unprecedented for sure.

This is truly a weekend to remember at the box office. Massive numbers for domestic, OS, and WW. Lots of records are just being demolished.

• Like 2

Well five for lots of OS markets if you want to be exact but still, Endgame has just snapped the box office.

Looking around the highest grossing opening weekends, it seems like Black Panther fared best with 9% drop on Sunday, followed by Force Awakens with 11%. Black Panther obviously had President's Day the following day while Force Awakens was probably closing in on school holidays. I think Endgame's Sunday can probably match the Friday gross minus previews, which would be right around that 11.3% drop Force Awakens had. 10% or less would be a bit of a stretch for me. 

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

@doublejack that is a good point. I didn't even take that into consideration. Okay maybe 10% is a bit too aggressive but I will stand by the same job as Infinity war. So 15% or less.

• Like 1