Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

Just now, cheesypoofs said:

So Thursday night is only going to go up from 43m?

Yep. How much it goes up depends on whether that Deadline # includes later presales or not. Imo it can't include later presales because if they had access to that data it would make zero sense to write the article the way they did.

• Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, Menor said:

I'm still trying to figure out why they would do this "done so far" thing when they've always done estimates in the past. Maybe the estimated number is really big and they don't want to overshoot? I hope that's the case.

Estimate number was high 70s and they’re too scared to put it in writing without doling out some buildup :Venom:

• Like 1

Gonna be the Annoying That Fan.  Hearing reports that the TROS teaser trailer went over very well from a couple of folks. Anyone here remember any reaction to it at your screenings?

Hell, just general recollections on the crowd reactions you remember for various trailers is always welcome when it comes to mega openers like this. Be interesting to know what was getting buzz and what wasn't.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Estimate number was high 70s and they’re too scared to put it in writing without doling out some buildup :Venom:

Maybe not high 70s, but even if the estimate number was 65+ they might not want to estimate that and then look silly if it "only" did 60. Could just be my fanboy optimism talking, but I really can't see any other reason they'd deviate from their norm like this.

Edited by Menor

10 minutes ago, commendable said:

Lets get those cinema score predictions. A+ for a guaranteed 3x multiplier

You can’t ask for predictions and then spoil the actual outcome in the same post commendable, that just doesn't make sense.

Just now, Porthos said:

Gonna be the Annoying That Fan.  Hearing reports that the TROS teaser trailer went over very well from a couple of folks. Anyone here remember any reaction to it at your screenings?

Hell, just general recollections on the crowd reactions you remember for various trailers is always welcome when it comes to mega openers like this. :)

TROS was the only trailer at my small town Vermont showing! It ended, the actual movie started, and I was shooketh. So nobody reacted much since the movie had begun but there was excited sounds while it played.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

15 minutes in, I came to the realization that this was one of the most genius marketing campaigns of all time. An hour in, I knew I'd never see a marketing campaign this good in a very long time.

Agreed. But this is the sort of thing that can only really work with a franchise that's built up the goodwill the MCU has. 

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yep. How much it goes up depends on whether that Deadline # includes later presales or not. Imo it can't include later presales because if they had access to that data it would make zero sense to write the article the way they did.

You're asking for Deadline to make sense in any early prediction they make.

Deadline has been responsible for more panics on this forum than any other source

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

thing is it be quite odd for it to smash all the records around the world and underperform in NA

Yeah, like if it was 43m counting all presales then it would probably not even beat 50m in the final number, which seems way too low. I really can't see below 55 being realistic at all.

1 minute ago, AndyLL said:

You're asking for Deadline to make sense in any early prediction they make.

Deadline has been responsible for more panics on this forum than any other source

Ok yes, but they generally have the very consistent pattern that they give an estimate for the previews. They've never done a "this is how much it's made so far". For this movie, they broke that. There has to be a reason.

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

Ok yes, but they generally have the very consistent pattern that they give an estimate for the previews. They've never done a "this is how much it's made so far". For this movie, they broke that. There has to be a reason.

Maybe it’s because this movie is unique in that it had the biggest presales of all time AND it is playing around the clock at some theaters. I know that Empire in NY is playing it all night. That is why they are leaving room to grow. They may know the presales but have no idea about walk ups for so many show times. I am not defending Deadline. They are a hot mess some times.

• Like 1