Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

2 minutes ago, Andreas said:

DHD: "Industry estimates have Endgame‘s weekend between $315M-$330M. Don’t be shocked if it goes higher."

...what exactly are we looking at here?

Could 100M OVER Infinity War be a possibility? Is that even logistically possible?

• Like 1

Just now, fabiopazzo2 said:

How?? 

Movie theaters are striking shows Saturday and putting in full midnights and later again for all screens all over...that's how you roll in dough:)...they are pretty much opening up every seat possible, which didn't look like they were gonna do Monday...but then the presales never slowed, and they just fully hopped on board the train:)...

33 minutes ago, justvision said:

A few people did express the same doubt. It wold seem Endgame should did something in high 60M for previews from all the sold outs. 3 hours show time might actually hurt. I still hope 60M is not the final figure.

@captainwondyful mentioned a few times that Endgame's Thr numbers could be capped to some degree thanks to the runtime because the smaller to medium size venues simply could not meet any sort of demand even if they kicked out all other films past 6pm. Like, literally could not.

Even in the era of ultra-megaplexes, there still are a ton of medium and small sized theaters out there.  Especially in smaller towns. 

I know some of the trackers were following medium to large markets. Sacto, for instance is a Top 20 DMA (barely). I didn't track the entirely of our DMA (lolololololo.... yeah, no). But I captured everything within 25 miles of Downtown Sacramento (my personal yardstick).  Guessing that's about 1.5m to 2m people (hard to track all of the census designated areas locally that aren't in the city of Sacramento proper).

Just basically saying that while anything with 10 screens or more was probably, probably, able to keep up with EG to some degree, a lot of the smaller venues out there just got drowned.

Anecdotally I can point to a pair of theaters owned by Regal in Davis, CA.  One is a five screen theater, the other six. From what I can tell, Regal usually splits new movies between the two theaters and treats it like a 11 screen theater, just in two locations.  Well EG was hastily added to the second of the theaters at the very last minute.  Other areas which  didn't have two theaters both owned by the same company wouldn't have that luxury.

Basically all of the above is saying:  Don't forget all the small to medium sized venues out there.  That's why I really love getting info from folks like captainwondyful.  It helps yet a yardstick for how the smaller places are doing.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Andreas said:

DHD: "Industry estimates have Endgame‘s weekend between $315M-$330M. Don’t be shocked if it goes higher."

...what exactly are we looking at here?

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Astonished 4

Christ... It's insane that what was the 3-day OW record just over a decade ago is Endgame's ONE-DAY target!

I just finished my second viewing a couple hours ago. The first two hours definitely dragged a bit for me, but I still loved it and found it to be a great love letter to the fans and the characters and a fitting end to the current storyline. As such, I'm more than happy for the MCU and its success. 

Now, let's see those legs... Cameron needs a challenge. :) 

• Like 1

While big cities are pretty much sold out, we shouldn't count out smaller, rural areas and their walk-up potential. My theatre has 5 showings tonight, and while 1 of them is already sold out, the other 4 are not even half full, with one having just been added last night and is currently only at 2% capacity.

The potential for walk-ups does exist. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Movie theaters are striking shows Saturday and putting in full midnights and later again for all screens all over...that's how you roll in dough:)...they are pretty much opening up every seat possible, which didn't look like they were gonna do Monday...but then the presales never slowed, and they just fully hopped on board the train:)...

🤣 how we cannot freakin crazy with this numbers

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@captainwondyful mentioned a few times that Endgame's numbers could be capped to some degree thanks to the runtime because the smaller to medium size venues simply could not meet any sort of demand even if they kicked out all other films past 6pm. Like, literally could not.

Even in the era of ultra-megaplexes, there still are a ton of medium and small sized theaters out there.  Especially in smaller towns. 

I know some of the trackers were following medium to large markets. Sacto, for instance is a Top 20 DMA (barely). I didn't track the entirely of our DMA (lolololololo.... yeah, no). But I captured everything within 25 miles of Downtown Sacramento (my personal yardstick).  Guessing that's about 1.5m to 2m people (hard to track all of the census designated areas locally that aren't in the city of Sacramento proper).

Just basically saying that while anything with 10 screens or more was probably, probably, able to keep up with EG to some degree, a lot of the smaller venues out there just got drowned.

Anecdotally I can point to a pair of theaters owned by Regal in Davis, CA.  One is a five screen theater, the other six. From what I can tell, Regal usually splits new movies between the two theaters and treats it like a 11 screen theater, just in two locations.  Well EG was hastily added to the second of the theaters at the very last minute.  Other areas which  didn't have two theaters both owned by the same company wouldn't have that luxury.

Basically all of the above is saying:  Don't forget all the small to medium sized venues out there.  That's why I really love getting info from folks like captainwondyful.  It helps yet a yardstick for how the smaller places are doing.

All this is really saying to me is despite the massive weekend numbers which will be helped by big city theatres playing 24 hour shows in tons of theatres, in smaller towns they don't have that luxury and thus demand will continue to swell throughout the next week and next weekend. 

Sounds good to me!

• Like 1