Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

9 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

That fool John Campea was talking all month that Endgame wouldn’t even come close too 300 mil ow 

He’s such a pessimist lol and as soon as he’s proven wrong he tries to play it off. I still can’t believe he called Man of Steel a masterpiece 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

That fool John Campea was talking all month that Endgame wouldn’t even come close too 300 mil ow 

Just see his latest video on EG's Thursday gross. He shows that he really doesn't understand how box office works. 

I can’t believe this is happening. 

It appears to be CRUISING past THREE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS like it’s a breeze. Like it’s a walk in the park!

Remember when Spidey 3 broke the OW record in ‘07? We were all astounded at that number. 

Disney be like “yeah, we’re going to take out that movie’s entire end total in 3 days. See ya!”

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Just got out of my screening to see the numbers. I highly doubted 300 and I stand before you wrong.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Few bumps here and there but it works.

did you doubt it more because there wont be enough demand or that there is not enough capacity? 

Pretty sure that all OW EG clubs have succeeded atp. Thursday, WW OW 300+, China 300+, OW 1B+.

Does anyone want to open a $350M OW club? :sparta:

Edited by Andreas

"140-150"

"315-330"

We're not there yet.  If I remember right the data they see is actual presales for the day, and they're estimating what walkups will be for the rest of the day, and back during TFA's weekend they were very far off of what that pace would be because presales were so much higher than any other movie, and those were more concentrated at night, so the pace for matinees was different, etc etc.  This is uncharted territory, don't count the chickens before they hatch, all that jazz.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blackspider said:

As massive as that 60m is, where does this rank amongst you guys for most impressive preview/midnight opening?

Sith’s 16.9m in ‘05 more than doubled the previous record even though it’s number does seem rather pedestrian by today’s standards but this was achieved without any premium format screens, standard film projectors limiting prints and showtimes. It was the first time I believe it came out that theaters were adding 3 am and 6 am shows to keep up. 

Deathly Hallows Part II, it’s numbers speak for itself. 43.5m in true midnight fashion was nothing short of fantastic.

TFA and EG are pretty much a wash for me, both had a perfect storm and capitalized on post-TDKR preview landscape where you have so much room to grow.

What other ones come to mind?

DH2 is the one that really stands out to me. Even with the proliferation of 3D and IMAX and factoring in inflation, I believe DH2 would still have the midnight record today. There have been some big previews since DH2, but many of the people who attended those would have skipped if the showings were all at midnight.

I went to an 18 screen cineplex for the DH2 midnight and it was pure insanity. All of the screens were at or near capacity, and I waited 45 minutes to buy some popcorn and a drink. There were many cosplayers, spontaneous duels prior to the movie, etc. I had been to many midnight showings before (my first was True Lies IIRC, the summer I turned 18), but nothing came close to DH2, and the era is now passed so nothing will ever rival the experience. Midnights are a dead tradition. F

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@captainwondyful mentioned a few times that Endgame's Thr numbers could be capped to some degree thanks to the runtime because the smaller to medium size venues simply could not meet any sort of demand even if they kicked out all other films past 6pm. Like, literally could not.

One of the small local recliner theaters has eight screens.  They had 5 Endgame screenings on Thursday, and then Captain Marvel, COLL, and Penguins were in the other three.  As of 4/25 the theater was 94.51% sold out.  Only thing left was Wheelchair and ADA seats.  I just did a cursory check for today, and once again, they are maxed out.  They are a smaller chain, so I doubt they could drop screens that way like Regal told their theaters too, and the cost/benefit was probably a negative about running all night, the way many AMCs did.

I wasn't there, so I don't know if they put a 1:00AM IMAX on in the 11th hour, but the IMAX Theater didn't have showing after 10PM, as for 4/25.  I just did a check for Monday: the IMAX screen is 3/4 sold out for the day.

So, there's totally a cap in those smaller markets.  Bad for OWs, good for Legs.  

• Thanks 1

Also from Deadline, even though nobody cares

The No. 2 pic of the weekend is Disney’s own Captain Marvel in weekend 8 with $7Mand a $412.5M running cume by Sunday. She is benefiting greatly from Infinity War. A year ago, Black Panther ranked 4th against the opening of Infinity War with $4.7M in weekend 11 and a running $688.3M total.

New Line’s Shazam! and The Curse of La Llorona are fighting over third with $6.5Mapiece right now. That will put Shazam! in weekend 4 at $132.1M stateside and Llorona in weekend dos at $40.2M. Disney/Fox’s faith-based title Breakthrough in weekend 2 is eyeing $6.2M, -45% for a 10-day of $26M.

Godly CM drop, albeit not as strong as Black Panther's....yet.

Sucks for Shazam though. Thought for sure it would've gotten some of that Endgame spillover. But hey, the night is still young.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

Over 330 seems a little bit too excited for me right now, but this movie is a joy to track!

That said, some not too crazy numbers (all rounded):

145 Friday

102 Saturday -30%

77 Sunday -26%

If it has those drops at the top end of the Friday range (150):

150 Friday

105 Saturday

78 Sunday

Edited by LinksterAC