Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

6 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Not to get too close to a Fan War; but how does being a Star Wars fan mean he has zero credibility? He isn’t wrong saying that The MCU won’t surpass Star Wars in cultural relevance.  Star Wars is Star Wars. It is the Granddaddy of all of them.  Kevin Feige talked about growing up on Star Wars and how he wanted to create a Star Wars for this generation. 

And that is what he did. The Boomers and Gen X have Star Wars. The Millennials and Gen Z have the MCU. Regardless,

Star Wars will always be Star Wars. Period. 

I think the major difference is people in Asia actually watch Marvel. Domestically, no, Star Wars will probably remain the dominant cultural force. But globally, it's Marvel easily. 

EDIT: Aaaaand beaten to the punch.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

In North America yes but I think MCU is going to be the Star Wars for Asia. Marvel has easily surpassed  the popularity of Star Wars OS.

I would amend my statement to agree with that!   Excellent point. 

• Like 2

That Avengers: End Game is gonna become

the first Superhero Movie to Win Best Picture. 

Hey, I was on board yesterday - let's see ROTK part 2 at next year's Oscars - you KNOW Disney will be dying for that b/c the viewership would be epic:)...

• Like 1

My friend who works at Cineplex Brampton as a manager and where I share some updates just stated that by 5pm Friday today, this was their biggest day ever for any movie at their Theater

yes even above IW saturday

😨

What will tomorrow bring...

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, dsahy said:

Campea has been underplaying the MCU for months now. He still doesn't think that the MCU has surpassed Star Wars in the cultural zeitgeist. He foreshadowed his lukewarm review for EG by continually saying that he hoped that the movie doesn't suck, and had more anticipation for the Lion King and Star Wars then Endgame. Today he was comparing the Thursday night number to The Force Awakens, to use it as evidence that Endgame won't hit 300 million OW. Its strange, but it seems he sees the MCU as a threat to the Star Wars Legacy.

Really? What is he on?

Nothing against the guy but Collider went to another level when he left and Harloff became the main man. 

• Like 1

Not to get too close to a Fan War; but how does being a Star Wars fan mean he has zero credibility? He isn’t wrong saying that The MCU won’t surpass Star Wars in cultural relevance.  Star Wars is Star Wars. It is the Granddaddy of all of them.  Kevin Feige talked about growing up on Star Wars and how he wanted to create a Star Wars for this generation. 

And that is what he did. The Boomers and Gen X have Star Wars. The Millennials and Gen Z have the MCU. Regardless,

Star Wars will always be Star Wars. Period. 

Campea can't be objective, that's why he has no credibility. Just listen to the things he says. Everything has a bias. Literally everything. I watched a few of his youtube shows back when he was working for one the the big theater chains, and the guy was easily spotted for what he is - a shill with an agenda. Someone who can't be objective has no value as a critic or a journalist. Nothing he says matters except to those who are of the same mind.

Also, he's wrong. Marvel has already surpassed Star Wars in terms of cultural relevance. Like everyone else in my age range, I'm Gen X, I grew up with a Star Wars lunch box and I had a bunch of action figures with light sabers. You know what else I had? Spriderman undroos, Thor bed sheets and a stuffed spiderman that my 5 year old adores (it is 40 years old but still in decent shape). So Marvel is not some new phenom. Go to any Walmart and check out the toy section, compare the Marvel offerings to the Star Wars one. Guess which they have more of?

What I'm saying is even more true outside of the US. Here, Star Wars is revered as something special. Globally though, it is not viewed the same. That's why SW films tilt domestically.

Anyway, there's no reason why both franchises can't be big things. I'm not going to claim that Star Wars sucks, or is irrelevant. The facts contradict those claims. What is a problem is letting one's passion for one franchise cloud their judgement of others.

• Thanks 1