Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, next weekend's movies...there are a lot of them.  I'll be fascinated to see how theaters deal with the hugeness of Endgame and the arriving movies all through May.  If I was a betting person, we could see a lot of "underperformers" in May and really shortened legs from the leftover movies released before Endgame...

I mean, how many screens do you keep dedicating for Endgame and for how long?  Next weekend's openers are certain to only get single screened probably at anything under 16 screens, and that's if they are even booked at lesser theaters.  But, to put it in perspective, I think we have 3 wide openers next weekend, 3 wide the next (with Pikachu), and 3 wide the next (with John Wick), and some limited openers every weekend...That's a lot, especially when you consider how dominant Endgame might still be in weekends 2/3/4...so, if I were a movie that could kick on the May 10 or May 17 weekend (it's probably too late for May 3), and I wasn't Wick or Pikachu, I would, b/c you'll get no space and run out in 2 weeks (ala Missing Link, After, and Hellboy)...

It's gonna be a tight, tight May...and the spoils for that tightness may all go to the victor...should be pretty interesting to watch...

It probably means holdover theater counts - not named AEG - are going to be slaughtered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

I know Marvel is Saturday king and all, but there’s no way it can go up that much tomorrow from this already insane number, right? Right?!!

Even a "conservative" MCU Sat jump gets it to 110m easy with a 97m true Friday. Seems impossible Sunday drop could be worse than -20% due to all the spillover from such a huge number, so that puts us in the 360 range for the weekend then. Ya know, conservatively. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It could mean that if this were one of those movies where hype and WOM was going to be contained in the fanbase. 

All I know is that when I look at tickets for tomorrow, there are a boatload of showings from 3 different theaters, but not a single one of them is sold out.  To me, it looks like demand was very high (obviously) and capacity has been adjusted to meet that demand.

2 minutes ago, FTF said:

To confirm, is this insanely pushing a $100m true Friday or did the preview # go up?

That's an interesting thought, does preview # ever deviate far from when it's first reported on Friday? It appears we never hear much about them after being reported, apart from the record breaking ones.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

At the theater with 10 friends ready for my endgame

Theater is a disaster trash everyone huge lines ...lord of the flies shit .. 

Readdyyyy

when i went to the midnight show the other day there was a huge line out the door for the toilets. never seen that here before. i never even got the chance to go in them before the film (i survived though).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s not enough that the movie itself attacked me emotionally, but it’s also attacked me with all these numbers it’s pulling.

Seriously, fuck this shit.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Sam said:

I know Marvel is Saturday king and all, but there’s no way it can go up that much tomorrow from this already insane number, right? Right?!!

Have you seen it a 2nd time?

I saw it earlier again, there is so much to unpack which will help with multiple viewings. I loved it even more the 2nd time.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZackM said:

All I know is that when I look at tickets for tomorrow, there are a boatload of showings from 3 different theaters, but not a single one of them is sold out.  To me, it looks like demand was very high (obviously) and capacity has been adjusted to meet that demand.

Ok, but Sat is always a super heavy walk up business day. I don't think there's ever been a Sat at the box office that was dominated by pre-sales.