Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

9 minutes ago, BlueCore said:

If estimates hold it should have between $1.25-1.30bn by the end of the weekend. For the sake of this post let's go 1.25. Russia isn't including as they open on Monday but I'm imagining if it did it would be at least $20mn at the low end of expectations. So at the low end including Russia we have $1.27bn OW, we'd only need a 2.13~multi to hit Avatar's total. Even with the huge opening, I don't see any logic to endgame of a multi <2.13. This would be incredibly low due to; standard Marvel and Avenger legs, the presales we're already seeing for the weeks/weekends to come, the reviews and audience scores, the great WOM, and it being a finale.

I'm not an expert but I feel this is locked at this point. I personally don't see a multi of less than 2.15 possible.

I can see your logic, and you are probably right.

But, to be the devil's advocate, isn't it likely that after such monstrous OW numbers, a massive decline is in store? 

When I woke up to see these numbers being reported on social media and various outlets, I realised I would have to go through about 80 pages of this thread just to witness the reactions to this astonishing performance. And I did so with pleasure.
It's fitting really, just as the movie itself surpassed my wildest dreams, Endgame is destroying the expectations I had for it financially. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's obviously fun to speculate on where this is going to end up after the first weekend. But maybe the best thing to do right now is just enjoy this earth-shattering Earth moving thunderous explosion that this film is creating this weekend. Just for perspective I was alive and well and 11 years old in 1983 when return of the Jedi absolutely decimated the opening weekend box office number. I'm glad to say that I've lived through two or three of these actually four LOL. It's just a great time to be a fan of the box office.

In some ways this the Return of the Jedi moment for this generation. The end to a huge franchise that, first of its kind in many ways which has caught the imagination of a whole generation.

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 4

I just cant fathom all of this. This is stupidly crazy.

And im so glad ive discovered these forums back in 2014. With weekends like these, i always remember why i love following the box office so much.

Oh and 2 things that came to my mind:

1) I actually think that Endgame had an effect on the winter/spring box office and depressed the grosses of the movies (except Captain Marvel obviously) a bit. I know we joked about familys saving money for Pika-Pika, but ... i actually think they saved it for Endgame lol.

2) Yes, if Endgame goes to 800M-1B DOM, all the movies in May be getting hit (Godzilla, i pray for you), but on the other hand - Endgame could also help them! All these trailers are now shown before hundreds of million of people around the world - there isnt better marketing or a better way to let people see you trailers than that.

I think we're in for a fucking historic next month boys and girls.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

But, to be the devil's advocate, isn't it likely that after such monstrous OW numbers, a massive decline is in store? 

I don't see where massive decline would come from. WOM is amazing, movie's rewatchable and there are people who are waiting for less crowded days/weeks. so it isn't like it'll run out of steam quickly. I think it's gonna have really strong hold for this type of opening. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It's possible, but given all the scores, WOM, etc., I don't see it's weekend and weekly percentage falling much faster than IWs. It would need a second weekend drop of more than %65 to have the possibility of missing $2.7bn - I think we're safe from that happening :)

Edited by BlueCore

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't see where massive decline would come from. WOM is amazing, movie's rewatchable and there are people who are waiting for less crowded days/weeks. so it isn't like it'll run out of steam quickly. I think it's gonna have really strong hold for this type of opening. 

Got it.

Valonqar confirms $200m second weekend people! 

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's obviously fun to speculate on where this is going to end up after the first weekend. But maybe the best thing to do right now is just enjoy this earth-shattering Earth moving thunderous explosion that this film is creating this weekend. It's just a great time to be a fan of the box office.

This!! 

35 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't see how avatars record is not going down. Off of a 1.3 billion dollar opening weekend it needs an incredibly small multiplier of something like 2.3 to get there. I think the floor right now is probably 3 billion.

Exactly. I can’t see it being that front loaded  

• Like 1

These numbers are just stupendous. I remember last year when IW hit us with those amazing numbers, I was convinced EG would grow, but by only a couple of millions, because it just seemed impossible for any movie to gross much higher than that. However, here we are, expecting a 350 million opening! A historic weekend, for sure, so y'all better enjoy it while it lasts, 'cause I don't see any movie in the next decade even coming close to what we're seeing now.

Also, can't believe that Avatar WW number is in serious danger. 2.7 billions seemed unreachable, but may now fall like a house of cards. History in the making, people...

• Like 1

Its legs will be great for a Marvel movie. Its long and has so much going on you need 2 or 3 views to digest it all. Ive seen it 3 times already, and Im more than happy to see it again. The only 3hr movies that got me to come back were the LOTR trilogy, and since then the only other movie of any length was Avatar, and only because I wanted to see the 2D and 3D versions for comparison.

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Actually, there hasn’t been a single ”Avengers”-films in the Avengers-franchise to make underwhelming box office numbers at all. None. All of them are huge billion dollar-grossers, And this fourth film definitely follows suit.

Excuse me, Age of Ultron was a gigantic flop.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Got it.

Valonqar confirms $200m second weekend people! 

I hope so but I won't be disappointed with a drop between 50-52% cause that would be an insane hold for such a crazy big opening. IW dropped 55% so this would be softer drop. 

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Actually, there hasn’t been a single ”Avengers”-films in the Avengers-franchise to make underwhelming box office numbers at all. None. All of them are huge billion dollar-grossers, And this fourth film definitely follows suit.

Excluding all the Ultron debates of course