Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

16 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, as much as I'm a fan of Disney and everything they're doing, I really badly want to see some seriously big tentpoles from other studios. If not other studios, just something different. I'm not saying I'm experiencing superhero fatigue, but I do want some variety. I wish Disney or some other studio could come up with another adventure epic along the lines of Pirates of the Caribbean. Those movies epitomized the fun summer blockbuster. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time watching Dead Man's Chest in the theatre!

I'd argue that Jumanji is currently filling that void, though that might be a bit of an early call.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

if WAG puts every character they own in it, that'd be a huge selling point.

It’s more of nostalgia being huge (lots of 90s/00s kids love this) + LeBron James. It’s literally a Jumanji 2 in the making if it is good and fun.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It’s more of nostalgia being huge (lots of 90s/00s kids love this) + LeBron James. It’s literally a Jumanji 2 in the making if it is good and fun.

I hope it's different from the first and not just a rehash. 

I think having other animated characters would be like Roger Rabbit redux, who wouldn't want to see say the Animaniacs and/or Scooby-Doo interact with Bugs and co. I would understand if WAG just wants to focus on the Looney Tunes though

A few thoughts related to what we're seeing:

-The casting of RDJ in Iron Man is the single most significant decision in the history of modern cinema. Anyone else in that role and none of this probably ever happens.

-Iron Man is the most commercially important film of the 21st century so far. Perhaps the most creatively important as well, in terms of setting the template for what works.

-The post-credits scene from Iron Man should be put in the cultural history books. "I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative." And here we are.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I'd argue that Jumanji is currently filling that void, though that might be a bit of an early call.

Good point. Like you said, it could be an early call though. I'm interested to see if the sequel can go up from Welcome To the Jungle. If it does, Sony has a legitimate tentpole franchise there. If not, it was lightning in a bottle. Not saying a decrease would be bad. I'm just talking in terms of Jumanji being a Marvel/Star Wars/PoTC/Jurassic World/Fast & Furious type billion plus dollar franchise.

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

But nobody wants to be in t

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Good point. Like you said, it could be an early call though. I'm interested to see if the sequel can go up from Welcome To the Jungle. If it does, Sony has a legitimate tentpole franchise there. If not, it was lightning in a bottle. Not saying a decrease would be bad. I'm just talking in terms of Jumanji being a Marvel/Star Wars/PoTC/Jurassic World/Fast & Furious type billion plus dollar franchise.

I mean is PoTC truly like that anymore. :ph34r: Also I'd say despite some recent growing pains, HP and DC still have it in them.

31 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Lmao you think I don’t understand why Disney is doing what they are?

Of course they’re doing it because it’s profitable, I don’t blame them for that.  But that doesn’t mean I need to support a lack of creativity and originality they perpetuate.

I also don’t get why I say something negative about Disney remaking all of their old movies and people feel like they need to defend a corporate studio, as if some forum user’s criticism is going to stop their strategy.

I also don’t buy, “ITS ABOUT THE CHILDREN!”  I grew up on movies like The Wizard of Oz even though that released way before I was born.  I didn’t need a half-assed modern remake of the Wizard of Oz to appreciate the original.

I get that this is a box office forum and we are all partial to the movie side of things and you have strong feelings against remakes. I get it.

For Disney, live action remakes are just forms of media that they have recently focused on. Were you also against them producing their original IPs in other forms of media? Their old movies were also made into storybooks, coloring books, musicals, TV shows, etc. 

And I never said children don't appreciate old movies. I just said 2D animation has somewhat been stale on them because they grew up with the film technology in the stage that it is now. 3D and CGI is the norm for them. Of course I am strictly talking to the film side of things. TV still has 2D animation. But look at the output of the film industry for strictly children as target market. The sheer amount of computer animation relying on 3D is massive. This is just where things are now, just like streaming is taking center stage now. 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean is PoTC truly like that anymore. :ph34r: Also I'd say despite some recent growing pains, HP and DC still have it in them.

Oh no, PoTC isn't now, but it was at the time. 

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Pirates would find it hard to regain its mojo without Depp although perhaps a smaller budgeted Bumblebee type film could work

@A Panda of Ice and Fire I don't want to insult your intelligence. Obviously you get what Disney is doing and we don't need to explain it to you. I guess for me the point is I find it odd to root against movies. I mean, you don't like what they're doing. Okay, let's say they fail. It's not like that's going to help other studios and what they're doing. It just means the state of cinema will get even worse if other studios don't up their game. I guess it would make you feel better apparently, but that's about it.

Anyway, no need to discuss it further. If you want Disney movies to bomb, power to you. No skin off my ass. I just think it's an absolutely pointless exercise.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Pirates would find it hard to regain its mojo without Depp although perhaps a smaller budgeted Bumblebee type film could work

I always thought Pirates had spin-off potential. The potential to go off in a different direction. A world like that has a lot of fun story and character possibilities. That might just be my love of the genre talking though.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Some poor souls still are trying to say that Rise of Skywalker will

beat Endgame domestically. Helpfully they will just admit eventually they bet on the wrong horse 

Who's saying that?? I'm a Star Wars fanboy and you can forget it.