Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

6 hours ago, baumer said:

Well this is why we come to this site. It's for weekends like this. You don't even have to like the film or like MCU or like what Disney is doing. If you are a fan of fall in the box office this is the stuff that we live for. Breathe It All In, soak it all up and just enjoy it for what it is.

I agree with this !!

I just had the feeling that you weren't near as active as you once where in the good old days with Tele 😛 And it's fun seeing you particapating with us 'newbies' again. (Not that I think I am still that new but in comparison with you,hell yeah I am 😛 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Endgame down only 16% from Saturday at my theatre

Seems right in line with what I would expect the drop to be on the whole. Assuming the Saturday number is in fact $109M, that puts Sunday at $91.56M.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nero said:

Or maybe they want Endgame to have that crown.... Because they like it so much and it's breaking records which were deemed impossible...  Also 1B making in China is very hard. I will give it 2% chance... Imagine Wolf Warrior 2 movie which had patriotic things and connected deeply to everyone in China still couldn't do 900M.. What the hell can Avatar 2 fo then? Don't bring Avatar now that it grossed 200M the time was different and China didn't have as much movies locally which were specially made... So no Avatar 2 won't be grossing 1B in China.. 

Some people specifically mentioned Avatar. They don't want that movie to remain #1 and want Endgame. 

China has weird patterns for blockbuster but one thing has been consistent for them, if something takes root like a trend or a fad, they will cling to that. Avatar 2 will most likely be that. It already has many want-to-see ratings despite having no promotions at all. Avatar has "nostalgia" there. However, I am not saying it'd be like 3B floor 🙄 I'm just saying I can see China going crazy over Avatar 2. I don't belong to that group.

7 minutes ago, sahmeelg said:

Some people specifically mentioned Avatar. They don't want that movie to remain #1 and want Endgame. 

China has weird patterns for blockbuster but one thing has been consistent for them, if something takes root like a trend or a fad, they will cling to that. Avatar 2 will most likely be that. It already has many want-to-see ratings despite having no promotions at all. Avatar has "nostalgia" there. However, I am not saying it'd be like 3B floor 🙄 I'm just saying I can see China going crazy over Avatar 2. I don't belong to that group.

It will go high in China, but Chinese government won't allow hlwd movie to outgross domestic one. So unles wolf warrior 3 (if there going to be such a thing) grosses 1.1B Avatar has no chance at getting 1B. Right now I see it at 700M

China doing 1 billion is not gonna out happen..US will outgross it and probably misses 1 billion too hopefully 937+.

Today it's gonna do a lot less than Monday in America. 18-20 million USD imo. Even with the next big holiday week 600+ is already hard enough. 650-700 million is my over the moon target to shoot for. 

9 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

It will go high in China, but Chinese government won't allow hlwd movie to outgross domestic one. So unles wolf warrior 3 (if there going to be such a thing) grosses 1.1B Avatar has no chance at getting 1B. Right now I see it at 700M

If Avatar 2 happens to appeal to China's collectivist nature, it's game over. 

20 minutes ago, sahmeelg said:

If Avatar 2 happens to appeal to China's collectivist nature, it's game over. 

Watch the Chinese govt suddenly pull out Avatar 2 from theaters if it has a realistic chance of outgrossing Wolf Warriors 2.

7 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Watch the Chinese govt suddenly pull out Avatar 2 from theaters if it has a realistic chance of outgrossing Wolf Warriors 2.

Depends if the gov't itself wouldn't be swept away with the potential mania. Collectivism when tied with consumerism is a common phenomena in Asia. But the nationalistic nature may kick in and prevent it from getting ahead of WW2. Unless a potential WW3 (if one is even getting made) gets to $1B+ first before Avatar 2.

I don't see how AEG falls below 2.6b ww really.

530 OS-China weekend => 1.2b OS-China total including Russia doesn't require much more than 2.2x from current OS-China markets.

1.4b from Dom and China combined (850 + 550) takes it to 2.6b ww. Again not giving very good legs.

It can well do 1.3-1.4b OS-China, 1.5-1.6b Dom+China for 2.8-3.0b ww on the higher side.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, a2k said:

530 OS-China weekend => 1.2b OS-China total including Russia doesn't require much more than 2.2x from current OS-China markets.

1.4b from Dom and China combined (850 + 550) takes it to 2.6b ww. Again not giving very good legs.

It can well do 1.3-1.4b OS-China, 1.5-1.6b Dom+China for 2.8-3.0b ww on the higher side.

I agree in the low side. IMO, 2.6-2.7b is the most probable range, with a decent chance to beat Avatar. To go beyond 2.8 would require of some stellar legs, considering the size of the opening and the demand already burnt.

I still think that legs will be worse than IW's because of the never-seen expectation that EG had. The temptation to avoid spoilers has forced many people to go during the OW instead waiting some days (myself included). And although many fans will repeat, tripeat, ... n-peat, many others who have watched the film during the OW will not see it again at theaters.

Let's remember that this is not like Bohemian Rhapsody, an event film which is not needed to have seen 21 previous films to understand what are you seeing. Casual moviegoers will not see EG. I could be wrong, but I do not see the $3b chance.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, peludo said:

Casual moviegoers will not see EG. I could be wrong, but I do not see the $3b chance.

Definitely a bigger reach. Already know 4 people seeing this movie who didnt have much interest in Marvel movies, all didnt see Infinity War, are going to see this movie. Main reason being that they didnt want to miss out because everyone else talking about it. Its just an event people want to be part of which might propel to higher heights than expected.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, a2k said:

Hmmm... $1.5B DOM+China requires like $950M DOM and $550M looks a bit hard. I would say maybe 1.45B DOM + China which is something like $900M DOM and $550M. I do agree about 1.3-1.4B OS tho. It made $530M ( could go up ) this weekend with Russia still left. With 2.4 multiplier brings it to $1.37B + $40M Russia makes it to $1.4B . Still very possible to pass Avatar. 

Note : Maybe I’m lowballing DOM tho. Just in case of frontloadedness.

• Like 1

Seriously, I don't get why some expect weak legs. This is "THE" movie that defines an era.

When a film reaches "THE" factor and is also praised, legs are inevitable no matter the huge opening. First Avengers, The Dark Knight, Avatar, Sixth Sense, TFA, Hunger Games... Only exception is DH2. Wouldn't be shocked if we see a film grossing 1b DOM for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

My goodness, this movie. It opened to 17.9 M here in the Philippines. It's already the second highest gross of all time in just 5 days. :lol::lol::lol:

Kayom buddy!!

This start is amazing but good to see you know whats coming my friend. Nothing will stop Jcs band camp from blowing all the long haul records away. Dare I say in Avatar we have the potential to go deep into 1b domestic territory and over 2.8 B overseas??  The lore of a worldbreaker 3 peat is looming

I see Avengers endgame hitting

2.2-2.4b ww as a real possibility. Kal-El of Bom is very very impressed my friend.. How are you Kayom??😎😎

Avatar 2 will Shatter the 3billion worldwide.

• Knock It Off 1

Biggest debut ever in Portugal, of the 3 Imax screens in the country all of them were sold out, the one in Lisbon had to schedule extra sessions for 09:40 Sunday morning. Saw it Thursday on 2D screen then on saturday on IMAX, the first time I saw an Imax movie.