Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

Finally watched Endgame last night, awesome movie (A), lost track of the sellouts at that point but it was at 84 when I stopped tracking, would have done more sellouts than Saturday if it managed to fill those 11pm-11:50pm showings that it was struggling to sellout all day (would have been over 88-90 sellouts). Two of the theaters had two more showings before 7pm compared to Friday and Saturday to boost Sundays sellout count, and the walk up theater for the first time all wknd sold out everything from the fist showing to 8pm. Overall business was level/up but the majority of tickets sold cost less as the majority of sellouts trended in the AM rather than the PM unlike Friday and Saturday.

Edited by B J

15 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Makes sense. I've seen 3 movies in my life twice (I'm 34 and seen at least 500+ in theaters). 4th was CM solely for the sake of End Game. I saw End Game on Saturday Morning and Monday Morning. Im planning on seeing it again with my wife when get to America this weekend if possible. Then a 4th time if I can squeeze in Imax. Considering imax 3D as well because why not.

I thought you move back to the US this weekend (last April weekend)?

So only to not misunderstand that again: you move the first May weekend?

Hope the ears of your daughter are healthy again, flying is no for for inflamed ears

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

DH2 had a 72% drop in its second weekend, I think while 50% would be great for Endgame, I don't think a 55-60% drop would be a bad thing. 

Potter was probably the most front-loaded film series in film history, next to Twilight. It had a very passionate fan base but it never really expanded beyond that fan base into the casual moviegoer. I think the MCU definitely gets casual filmgoers here and there. So no, you are right, it definitely will not fall like dh2 did but a 60% drop would not surprise me.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Ink Stain said:

Hey guys! I got into box office over the last couple of months and I’ve been lurking here since then.

I wanted my first post to be in this historic thread, so I’m just going to offer my thoughts on next weekend and Endgame’s legs in general. I think it’ll end up having great holds for a couple of reasons:

1) Statistically, A+ cinemascores have great holds, and that’s an important point even if it has been beaten to death in the previous pages. I’d also like to link this analysis (not mine, but very well done) to give some hard numbers on the correlation between a big OW and poor legs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/b2pl1f/na_big_opening_weekends_do_not_cause_poor_legs/

2) Empirically, less than half of the fans I know have seen Endgame. Of those of us who have seen it, over half plan to see it again. Of casuals who’ve watched few of the movies, they keep hearing us whispering in a corner about it and asking which films they need to watch before seeing it. It’s an event now—people are going, confused or not, and the WOM is insane.

3) Looking at presales for the next week, a quick glance at my local AMCs for next Friday and Saturday are already showing some “almost full” warnings in the premium formats. Granted, I’m in Cambridge/Boston, a major metro area, but still.

Welcome to the site! Also excellent post.

Yeah I don't see this thing dropping like a rock. Just look at the holds for Saturday and Sunday. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ink Stain said:

Hey guys! I got into box office over the last couple of months and I’ve been lurking here since then.

I wanted my first post to be in this historic thread, so I’m just going to offer my thoughts on next weekend and Endgame’s legs in general. ...

welcome to the forum!

Probably the best weekend to join, for a time at least I guess 😉

Edited by terrestrial

28 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

81% said they would consider seeing the movie again in theaters

U wot mate?    

I mean, I’m going to see it 4+ times, but I thought repeat business among GA was usually waaaaaaaaaaay lower than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

U wot mate?    

I mean, I’m going to see it 4+ times, but I thought repeat business among GA was usually waaaaaaaaaaay lower than that.

Fandango doesn't say when it did the survey.  If it was the preview audience they're more hardcore but then there was $60m worth of previews so ...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RollinWithBrolin said:

Remember before Infinity War when the prevailing hypothesis was that 70 million was the practical daily cap, and could only be hit on a Saturday?

Now we have a Sunday over 90 million...

Well, clearly 110M is the real practical daily cap, so they were only off by 57% or so 👀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I thought you move back to the US this weekend (last April weekend)?

So only to not misunderstand that again: you move the first May weekend?

Hope the ears of your daughter are healthy again, flying is no for for inflamed ears

She's still sick and got me sick lol yay but she's almost better. Flying May 2nd. April was last weekend in UK house. On military base.

She's a trooper on planes though. Near 60 trips on plane and we got upgraded to premium economy. She's super excited.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2

My local theater has 11 IMAX shows today. eight of them are sold out, the other two are front row is only and the last one at 11 p.m. is 50% sold out. Monster Monday incoming.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 5