Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

I'll be part of the historical boxoffice in less than 10 hours! :bravo: Even my ticket provider sent out Event Reminder Emails so that we wouldn't forget (as if that's possible!). I don't know about your ticket service but mine never did that! So when I saw notification from them, my heart sank. I thought something was wrong. But no! They were, like, don't forget what happens today at 6:30 pm! :lol:

4 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

These numbers are massive. I wonder how much bigger the total gross would be during a December release. 

Won't make a huge difference. December movies have larger legs but they also have smaller openings. The Force Awakens would have opened close to 300 mil if it released in May or the Summer and ended with the same gross.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Won't make a huge difference. December movies have larger legs but they also have smaller openings. The Force Awakens would have opened close to 300 mil if it released in May or the Summer and ended with the same gross.

Okay, this is some straight up bullshit right there. 

TFA wouldn't have open to 300M in Summer. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So it’s just a coincidence that 3/4 Two billion grossers were December releases? It definitely would have made a difference. The casual audience that weren’t planning on going would have gotten swept away by the hype and watched it during the weekdays. By the time the 2nd weekend comes many of them won’t care as much. 

Edited by HeadShot
  • Like 2

$164.1mn from 12 markets, $54mn excluding China from 11. http://bit.ly/EGOverseas

In like for like markets comp I have it grossed $44.5mn in 8 markets against $29mn of Avenger: Infinity War on Wednesday. Thats +50% which is great as many had Wednesday holiday for A:IW.

Spoiler

Avengers: Infinity War grossed an estimated $39.0M internationally on Wednesday from 21 markets.

Opening day grosses included:
Australia - $6.7M
South Korea - $6.5M
France - $3.9M
Italy - $3.9M
Philippines - $2.7M
Thailand - $1.8M
Indonesia - $1.8M
Taiwan - $1.8M

• Like 4
  • Astonished 3

These numbers are just ludicrous. And the reviews are as well. Slate's Dana Stevens admits she doesn't get super hero movies (though she'll grudgingly acknowledge when the good ones are good) and she compared it to Samuel Beckett in space. It was a bit TIC, but even so, holy hell.

Edited by Wrath

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$164.1mn from 12 markets, $54mn excluding China from 11. http://bit.ly/EGOverseas

In like for like markets comp I have it grossed $44.5mn in 8 markets against $29mn of Avenger: Infinity War on Wednesday. Thats +50% which is great as many had Wednesday holiday for A:IW.

Hide contents

Avengers: Infinity War grossed an estimated $39.0M internationally on Wednesday from 21 markets.

Opening day grosses included:
Australia - $6.7M
South Korea - $6.5M
France - $3.9M
Italy - $3.9M
Philippines - $2.7M
Thailand - $1.8M
Indonesia - $1.8M
Taiwan - $1.8M

And only need an average increase of 19% around the world for 1 billion so this is outstanding

• Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

....disagree, Force Awakens would've definitely pushed 300 million in the summer. I know MCU is the thing right now but that said you can never discount a hyped Star Wars movie, especially one that was 32 years in the making. 

The fact that the 3rd/4th presale day for TFA was Christmas Day the following Friday tells me that money was left on the table for OW. Idk about 300, but definitely higher than 247. Also it’s in way less theaters opening in the winter

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wrath said:

These numbers are just ludicrous. And the reviews are as well. Slate's Dana Stevens admits she doesn't get super hero movies (though she'll grudgingly acknowledge when the good ones are good) and she compared it to Samuel Beckett in space. It was a bit TIC, but even so, holy hell.

Yeah she's given negative reviews to most MCU films and lol this is wild af.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt Disney said:

I still can’t believe CM is going to gross more domestically than WW adjusted for inflation. WW felt like more of an event movie and I actually thought it was the better movie ( even though I only saw it once in theaters and saw CM twice in theaters). Yet, CM just keeps creeping closer and closer as the weeks go by.

Actually, considering Wonder Woman was following Suicide Squad and BvS, two universally panned movies with a lot of stench on them, it's actually a monstrous testament for the movie  and the iconic character to gross more than Thor 3 and Guardians 2 domestically and have some of the best legs for a movie in its genre ever.  This will be viewed as hate but WW imo was a (much) better movie than CM. CM literally had its opening gross handed to it by the Infinity War post credit's scene. CM is attached to the mega rolling machine that is the MCU; the brand at this point is Teflon.  CM is a solid movie but it wasn't anything special. It had moments but was more or less average overall.  Other's have this opinion for Wonder Woman so it is what it is.  Don't be surprised if Wonder Woman 2 explodes next summer.

Edited by jaybox
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Actually, considering Wonder Woman was following Suicide Squad and BvS, two universally panned movies with a lot of stench on them, it's actually a monstrous testament for the movie  and the iconic character to gross more than Thor 3 and Guardians 2 domestically.  This will be viewed as hate but WW imo was a (much) better movie than CM. CM literally had its opening gross handed to it by the Infinity War post credit's scene. CM is attached to the mega rolling machine that is the MCU; the brand at this point is Teflon.  CM is a solid movie but it wasn't anything special. It had moments but was more or less average overall.  Other's have this opinion for Wonder Woman so it is what it is.  Don't be surprised if Wonder Woman 2 explodes next summer.

I don't think that's wrong. People sometimes forget how high the MCU's standards are. People argue over their relative ranking, but the truth is that only arguably three of them (Incredible Hulk, Thor 2, and IM 2) weren't "solidly good" or better. CM was totally a good movie and was absolutely a solid addition to the MCU slate. It wasn't one of the best ones, but it certainly wasn't one of the worst ones.

WW, on the other hand, was genuinely great. It had some weak parts (the ending climactic battle was underwhelming), but when it was good (like the No Man's Land scene and the following battle in the village) it was SPECTACULAR. There's no harm in saying both were good movies, but WW was probably better.

• Like 4

Wonder Woman has some clunky moments (mostly the very beginning and the very end) but it has much higher highs (No Man's Land) than Captain Marvel which imo was just solid overall. I'm just so glad we've moved on from the Catwoman/Elektra days of superhero female leads lol

• Like 4

12 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Endgame has entered IMDB top 250 at #17 all time on their top 250 movies. It will rise as more votes come in.

Infinity War peaked at #9 for a while. Lets see if i can match or surpass that.

Average rating 9.2 with 30000 votes.

Up to #11 now. Will probably surpass is. Especially with American audience yet to vote, usually has slightly higher average score.

Should note that Infinity War has dropped to #61 these days but it should remain there now it has so many votes, so is stable.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1