Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

33 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Wonder Woman has some clunky moments (mostly the very beginning and the very end) but it has much higher highs (No Man's Land) than Captain Marvel which imo was just solid overall. I'm just so glad we've moved on from the Catwoman/Elektra days of superhero female leads lol

That might have been the most insightful thing Dana Stevens has written in a superhero movie review. It went something like... she thought CM was only ok, but she was really glad we'd gotten to the point that not only could we make good superhero movies with female leads, but also that it was ok to make a superhero movie with a female lead that was only "ok" and have it still be viewed as a success.

It read as kind of a back-handed compliment, but its still a good point.

Edited by Wrath

55 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Actually, considering Wonder Woman was following Suicide Squad and BvS, two universally panned movies with a lot of stench on them, it's actually a monstrous testament for the movie  and the iconic character to gross more than Thor 3 and Guardians 2 domestically and have some of the best legs for a movie in its genre ever.  This will be viewed as hate but WW imo was a (much) better movie than CM. CM literally had its opening gross handed to it by the Infinity War post credit's scene. CM is attached to the mega rolling machine that is the MCU; the brand at this point is Teflon.  CM is a solid movie but it wasn't anything special. It had moments but was more or less average overall.  Other's have this opinion for Wonder Woman so it is what it is.  Don't be surprised if Wonder Woman 2 explodes next summer.

Oh please enough with the myth that Captain Marvel grossed a lot because of Infinity War/End Game. Let’s not forget that Ant-Man and the wasp received the same treatment and that barely scrapped 600 million. And that movie was also directly connected to infinity war with the snap. Also are we going to ignore Aquaman’s (an extremely mediocre film as well) gross? If that could cross 1 billion then there shouldn’t be any questions about Captain Marvel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I think previews were easily a record yesterday here, and today is gonna be fucking ridiculous as well, every show I look at is sold out or near sold out. The demand is sky high.

19 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Here’s another opinion...over 20 billion dollars WORLDWIDE in 10 years and that is not counting marvel movies from other studios (if we do then we go to the  30 billion territory) Disney dared to try something like that with Star Wars, on a much smaller scale, and fell flat on its face so no more Star Wars spin offs and quite sometime until the next trilogy. If we get into semantics the numbers are simply overwhelming ...

Lol. I already said MCU surpassed Star Wars worldwide though, I know the numbers; they're staggering.. I'm talking about simply in the United States. It hasn't. I mean I don't know what else needs to be said. 

Star Wars A New Hope adjusts to Well over a 1 billion

Star Wars Force Awakens Adjusts to 976 million, so basically 1 billion

Empire and Jedi adjust to over 850 plus million 

Menace over 815 million 

Take out the re-releases, Force Awakens is basically 1 billion. and the first star wars would likely still be in the top 10.

lol

20 minutes ago, MadmenEndgame said:

So before this thread start to blow up.. I want to rank some of my favourite people in this thread. I am new here but I have been highly entertained by them. 

1. @CJohn

2. @MrPink

3. @Sam

4. @CoolEric258

5. @iHeartJames

2019 Boffy Funniest Poster campaign begins in earnest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

At what Deadline midnight number we riot. I will go with 57mn. Anything below 57mn I am disappointed.

The record (so yea, $57m). It's breaking every opening record around the world for the most part, and we already know previews will come in over $50m. The question is how much? 

40 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

$64,350.07 PTA needed for 300m

$4,368/theater over the record (TFA $59,982)

Actually less if you look at adjusted.

$2,093/theater over the record (TFA $62,257 adj)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

At what Deadline midnight number we riot. I will go with 57mn. Anything below 57mn I am disappointed.

Deadline early estimate will probably be a ridiculous range like 45-60 :sparta:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Oh please enough with the myth that Captain Marvel grossed a lot because of Infinity War/End Game. Let’s not forget that Ant-Man and the wasp received the same treatment and that barely scrapped 600 million. And that movie was also directly connected to infinity war with the snap. Also are we going to ignore Aquaman’s (an extremely mediocre film as well) gross? If that could cross 1 billion then there shouldn’t be any questions about Captain Marvel. 

No, Captain Marvel was a solid movie, but to ignore the impact of Infinity War, an all time great blockbuster with one of the best cliffhanger endings in modern movie history (it'll be remembered as the best non Empire Strikes Back cliffhanger ever In my opinion) is crazy. The SECOND I saw that logo on the beeper at that post credits scene I literally said, "welp shit, looks like I have to see Captain Marvel." When people were predicting CM's opening weekend I was one of the people saying "150 million at least based off the post credits scene alone." I had a co-worker literally tell me a few days ago that his favorite part of Captain Marvel was the post credits scene where she shows up answering the beeper. I know it's one person but like I said if you think that didn't play any part than it's a misguided assumption.

Also, Aquaman's 1.1 billion dollar gross could be attributed to audiences having more faith in DC due to Wonder Woman along with Jason Mamoa's popularity, and Aquaman being known in terms of being a punchline for decades and the curiosity involving the different take on the character as well. Justice League didn't count imo because it was a direct Snyder lied sequel to BvS which was blasted by everyone. 

Ant-Man? Come on now. Ant Man's cut scene wasn't even close to Captain Marvel's in terms of importance/shock factor. The first woman hero movie from the MCU with a direct link to the cliffhanger Infinity War?! It played a part, no question.

Edited by jaybox
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1