Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

7 minutes ago, blackspider said:

I worked at a theater when it came out. Absolutely insane walk up business. First showing Friday morning did around 300 people, unheard of. It was definitely one of the bigger moments where theaters were caught with their pants down. We were running out of concession items, certain sodas bibs gone. What a time.

funny thing that weekend was there in Canada the business was big but nothing special. It did under Age of Ultron opening weekend.

That is why I was so confused...

https://globalnews.ca/news/4176328/avengers-infinity-war-canada-box-office/

BIGGEST OPENING WEEKENDS EVER IN CANADA

1. Avengers: Infinity War – $19.77 million
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $18.6 million
3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $17.2 million
4. Marvel’s The Avengers – $15.6 million
5. Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron – $13.8 million

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Ok I doubt the 43 million includes presales for later shows. Bc given how presale-heavy this Thursday night will be then if that was the case they might as well just give an estimate already. But the article is very unclear.

I feel like it's most likely they're using a formula based on current admissions. Maybe there's some factoring in presales, but I seriously doubt they have access to info about all of the later presales

Edited by Djsoke

Just now, Djsoke said:

I feel like it's most likely they're using a formula based on admissions. Maybe there's some factoring in pre-sales, but I seriously doubt they have all of them.

I'm still trying to figure out why they would do this "done so far" thing when they've always done estimates in the past. Maybe the estimated number is really big and they don't want to overshoot? I hope that's the case.

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

funny thing that weekend was there in Canada the business was big but nothing special. It did under Age of Ultron opening weekend.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4176328/avengers-infinity-war-canada-box-office/

BIGGEST OPENING WEEKENDS EVER IN CANADA

1. Avengers: Infinity War – $19.77 million
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $18.6 million
3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $17.2 million
4. Marvel’s The Avengers – $15.6 million
5. Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron – $13.8 million

You’ve always been a very trusty Canadian source and usually things translate pretty well. JW still doesn’t make much sense to me. If TFA didn’t make it look like an absolute bitch later that year it’d definitely have more resonance. 

The parallels between it and The Phantom Menace are pretty scary. Both released 22 years after the original, both break a shit load of records. And Jurassic World actually retained more of JP’s audience than TPM did relative to Star Wars, another clear sign it massively overperformed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

when we get the real numbers we all gonna be like

r6bwZbk.gif&key=ffc83642a23c1b2afff9cda5

The spontaneous burst of laughter at the end of the trailer already made the ticket worth it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackspider said:

You’ve always been a very trusty Canadian source and usually things translate pretty well. JW still doesn’t make much sense to me. If TFA didn’t make it look like an absolute bitch later that year it’d definitely have more resonance. 

The parallels between it and The Phantom Menace are pretty scary. Both released 22 years after the original, both break a shit load of records. And Jurassic World actually retained more of JP’s audience than TPM did relative to Star Wars, another clear sign it massively overperformed.

There can be a divergence between the market...

Look at no BP in the top openers (but BP did around 58 million compared to IW 63 million).

I think Avatar out grossed SW7 here in Canada or its very close. 

The Kings Speech made more then Passion of the Christ in Canada lol

39 minutes ago, a2k said:

at least they didn't give the shitty deadline range : 43 to 50-55+ some say it could do as high as 57 while 60+ cannot be ruled out. with k12 being x% off rival studios are hinting at 65. sources are keeping an eye on the west coast because the number could be pushed to 70+.

Instantly hired, you have the gift.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, commendable said:

Lets get those cinema score predictions. A+ for a guaranteed 3x multiplier

A+, but worse legs then Infinity War due to the fandom rush. I have a gut feeling it'll have the worst first weekend % drop of the MCU so far (below homecomings -62.2%), no matter how phenomenal the reception ends up being.

Edited by dakus
  • Like 1