That One Girl

Nightmare Alley | December 17, 2021 (Wide Release) | Searchlight | Directed by Guillermo del Toro and starring Bradley Cooper

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

GOAT movie. PTA's best. during the phantom thread press tour he talked about it like he's kinda embarrassed about it now which is a shame. in fairness if you watch the behind the scenes he's obviously so fucking wired on cocaine the entire time.

It'll probably always be my favorite. I watched that doc roughly twenty times as a teen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

leo would probably be tom cruise's role in magnolia if that was made today and he'd kill that shit. he'd probably make it even smarmier. 

i seriously doubt it. maybe in his youth, but leo's acting has gotten progressively worse. i just can't connect. The revenant was ok

Edited by Alli

1 minute ago, Alli said:

i seriously doubt it. maybe in his youth, but leo's acting has gotten progressively worse. i just can't connect. The revenant was ok

How about Ansolo as Frank T.J. Mackey?

• ...wtf 1

43 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

inarritu's always had haters for his exhausting try hard nonsense. including me! i liked the revenant actually but even that is a dumb chuck norris revenge movie gussied up by some nice lubezki photography.

dang, it's been a long time between films Revenant (2016) & Wall Street (2013). 

That's funny too how The Revenant's profits are probably still below the total cost of the film, despite the scheduling helping The Revenant break out maybe 2x as much as it could have domestically, and being the exhausting film you described above. 

Bradley's gonna have to like run for State Senator to help boost the OW on this

12 hours ago, Alli said:

Disagree. The Wolf of Wall Street is some of the best acting this decade. He’s great in Shutter Island, Django and Gatsby aswell.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

If Gaga wants of play a bitch from hell....which is what the female lead in this film is. It's one of classic Film Noire Black Widow Spider Femme Fatale roles.

FOr those how have not seen the original, NONE of the leads charecters are very admirable. They are all pretty much scum.

I can't see her in that role - not razor edge sharp or cold enough.  It needs someone like Chastain or Blanchette.

Aww, I wanted to see Leo do this. I like Bradley Cooper as well though and I'm sure he'll be great. I haven't seen the original and know nothing about it though so I have no idea who'd be a better fit but I was intrigued by a Leo/Del Toro movie.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Aww, I wanted to see Leo do this. I like Bradley Cooper as well though and I'm sure he'll be great. I haven't seen the original and know nothing about it though so I have no idea who'd be a better fit but I was intrigued by a Leo/Del Toro movie.

i don't know from the book, but based on the first movie neither of them tbh. it should be someone younger.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

No disrespect to Leo but I personally am a bigger fan of Bradley-should have won the best actor Oscar for A Star is Born-Cooper.

Well yes, but by losing, at least there's no Oscar acceptance speech of Bradley being all, "Babe, I love you so much," about a partner he ended up splitting from a few months later, and it's cringey to look at for the rest of time.  For years, I've thought Sandra Bullock should try to win another Oscar, just so there's an acceptance speech where she's not gushing about that dirtbag ex of hers. First World Problems...

Wasn't a start date already reported for filming, I want to say the end of September in Toronto? I would have guessed that meant DiCaprio was locked as the lead. It doesn't always work out that when Leo bails on your movie late in the game, that you just slide in someone else just as A-list and stay right on schedule. Unless he passes, too, sometimes "in talks" mean just that and the person passes, other times it's just a prelude to hearing it's a done deal about a week later. 

Reading the plot summary on Wikipedia and pretty much everyone in the story is a terrible person. Leo was great in Wolf of Wall Street, but Cooper might be better at playing despicable characters, or at least more experienced at it.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't know from the book, but based on the first movie neither of them tbh. it should be someone younger.

He should. 

Tyrone Power was 32 when he played the role and convincingly played a younger man in his early 20s which is a significant chunk of the film.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Reading the plot summary on Wikipedia and pretty much everyone in the story is a terrible person. Leo was great in Wolf of Wall Street, but Cooper might be better at playing despicable characters, or at least more experienced at it. 

Powers as a then Golden boy of cinema had that lustrous sheen and charm which was not only perfect for an effective con man but also managed to keep him slightly sympathetic with hints of vulnerability even as he plumbed the ugly underbelly.   It's what makes the film a great noir tragedy - that with all his assets (physical and mental) he could have been successful & happy but with hubris and greed he brings his downfall on himself. 

Edited by TalismanRing

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

He should. 

Tyrone Power was 32 when he played the role and convincingly played a younger man in his early 20s which is a significant chunk of the film.

Powers as a then Golden boy of cinema had that lustrous sheen and charm which was not only perfect for an effective con man but also managed to keep him slightly sympathetic with hints of vulnerability even as he plumbed the ugly underbelly.   It's what makes the film a great noir tragedy - that with all his assets (physical and mental) he could have been successful & happy but with hubris and greed he brings his downfall on himself. 

I just watched the movie today, very enjoyable but I can see how a remake isn't the worst idea. From the way Stanton was dressed and how characters spoke to/about him at the beginning, I figured that he was supposed to be "young", but he always looked at least 30 to me. Tyrone Power just had one of those builds/faces that didn't allow him to pull off "callow youth" for very long.

Even at the start, people are dressed like they're in the present day of the times, the 1940s. Maybe the book gives the sense of 15-20 years passing but I didn't get that from the movie, you can easily write a new version so that it takes place over 4-5 years. But after seeing the story, I do get why someone who's closer to 30 than 40 might make more sense as the lead.

It's different to see characters fleshed out, compared to reading about their actions in a plot summary, so I take back that everyone is a terrible person in the story, some do show flashes of conscience here and there.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:57 PM, CoolioD1 said:

i kinda think cooper is an upgrade just in terms of quality i think he's a better actor. obviously not as consistent as dicaprio in terms of box office. maybe if Del Toro casts Lady Gaga in the female lead that'll make up for it.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, dudalb said:

If Gaga wants of play a bitch from hell....which is what the female lead in this film is. It's one of classic Film Noire Black Widow Spider Femme Fatale roles.

FOr those how have not seen the original, NONE of the leads charecters are very admirable. They are all pretty much scum.

I think the women in this are kind of all supporting, given their screen time or the kind of roles that have? If there is an awards campaign (and I'm not sure it's really that kind of movie), the psychologist is the Best Actress push. It's Guillermo del Toro, he might just call up Jessica Chastain for it.

Lady Gaga would be on the upper end of the age range for Molly but isn't so young that she wouldn't be plausible as Lilith. Whatever is going on with she and Cooper personally, if they do get her for this movie, too, the set will be absolutely hounded by paparazzi!

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

On 6/15/2019 at 9:40 AM, BoxOfficeChica said:

Well yes, but by losing, at least there's no Oscar acceptance speech of Bradley being all, "Babe, I love you so much," about a partner he ended up splitting from a few months later, and it's cringey to look at for the rest of time.  For years, I've thought Sandra Bullock should try to win another Oscar, just so there's an acceptance speech where she's not gushing about that dirtbag ex of hers. First World Problems...

Wasn't a start date already reported for filming, I want to say the end of September in Toronto? I would have guessed that meant DiCaprio was locked as the lead. It doesn't always work out that when Leo bails on your movie late in the game, that you just slide in someone else just as A-list and stay right on schedule. Unless he passes, too, sometimes "in talks" mean just that and the person passes, other times it's just a prelude to hearing it's a done deal about a week later. 

The male lead's first girlfriend is the only decent person in the film,and she is not in for that long..at the beginning and the end.

My  question is will they do it in period? I think it might  work better set in the 30's and 40's with the big Carny angle early on

Make mistake, this film has a dark, cynical view of human nature...it what makes the film work..

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 11:34 AM, TalismanRing said:

He should. 

I think one of the few film noir male lead performances that matches this..and another case of off type casting the worked..was Fred McMurray in "Double Indemnity".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

The male lead's first girlfriend is the only decent person in the film,and she is not in for that long..at the beginning and the end.

My  question is will they do it in period? I think it might  work better set in the 30's and 40's with the big Carny angle early on

Make mistake, this film has a dark, cynical view of human nature...it what makes the film work.. 

GdT's last two feature films had period settings. Now his last movie won Best Picture, he's lining up an A-list lead, the studio will probably be a little more generous with the budget. The mentalist angle would fit into any time, I think, but the carnival aspect works best as an element of years gone by.  Plus, the fashions of the 1940s are great for this genre, neo-noir just doesn't have the same style.

I looked up how old the actresses from the original film were in 1947:  Joan Blondell (Zeena) was 41, Coleen Gray (the girlfriend) was 25, Helen Walker (the psychologist) was 27!  The girlfriend probably has to stay youngish, and it would make sense if the carnival veteran seems older than the male lead. I think there is flexibility with the age range for the psychologist.  People now would look askance at today's 27-year-old actresses as such a character (not that this always stops Hollywood), but someone mid-30s or older should work.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

On 6/16/2019 at 10:04 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

GdT's last two feature films had period settings. Now his last movie won Best Picture, he's lining up an A-list lead, the studio will probably be a little more generous with the budget. The mentalist angle would fit into any time, I think, but the carnival aspect works best as an element of years gone by.  Plus, the fashions of the 1940s are great for this genre, neo-noir just doesn't have the same style.

I looked up how old the actresses from the original film were in 1947:  Joan Blondell (Zeena) was 41, Coleen Gray (the girlfriend) was 25, Helen Walker (the psychologist) was 27!  The girlfriend probably has to stay youngish, and it would make sense if the carnival veteran seems older than the male lead. I think there is flexibility with the age range for the psychologist.  People now would look askance at today's 27-year-old actresses as such a character (not that this always stops Hollywood), but someone mid-30s or older should work.

Carey Mulligan or Alicia Vikander as the girlfriend, Jessica Chastain as Zeena, and Rachel Weisz as the psychiatrist?

• Like 1