That One Girl

Nightmare Alley | December 17, 2021 (Wide Release) | Searchlight | Directed by Guillermo del Toro and starring Bradley Cooper

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Why? I'm curious.

Movie is now up to 82%.

She’s just an ungrateful twat. 

Talking about Nightmare on Elm Street, she said “oh shit I just got that” after auditioning for the lead role. So she didn’t want it, but did it anyway. 

Her parents are billionaires. If you don’t want a role, give someone who actually needs it a chance. 

That’s just one reason btw lol, there are others. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

She’s just an ungrateful twat. 

Talking about Nightmare on Elm Street, she said “oh shit I just got that” after auditioning for the lead role. So she didn’t want it, but did it anyway. 

Her parents are billionaires. If you don’t want a role, give someone who actually needs it a chance. 

That’s just one reason btw lol, there are others. 

That and the pie thing :lol:

9 hours ago, RealLyre said:

after watching the original adaptation from the 40s I thought Bradley Cooper was perfect for a role like this so I'm curious to see how GDT managed to mess that up lol

One of the reviews said they kept in the dialogue referring to him as  "boy" and "young man" - which is ludicrous for a 46 yr old - but I doubt that affected his performance.

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

One of the reviews said they kept in the dialogue referring to him as  "boy" and "young man" - which is ludicrous for a 46 yr old - but I doubt that affected his performance.

Tyrone Power was 33 when Nightmare Alley was released and he's not particularly young looking in it either-just edit the script. It was going to be Leo at first and he's older than Bradley, but DiCaprio's baby-faced days are long gone. A story going on about how youthful someone supposedly is when they're clearly not just makes the actor seem vain.

Lilith from the 1947 movie, Helen Walker, she was 27 when the movie came out, but the age range for the character seems a lot more flexible. I think people now (or at least Film Twitter) would complain about a 27 year old actress playing a psychologist.

Coleen Gray (Molly) was 25 when the original movie came out, Rooney is 36 but reads a bit younger.

I'm reading the book again and I think maybe it's just not twisty enough for me, I can get why critics now might say the story is predictable. But I felt the same way about the original movie and it's an underrated masterpiece, apparently...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

No matter how the film turns out, the people screaming "boring" here is why I am becoming disgusted with a lot of geekdom.

Frankly, anything that is not a CBM or has a lot of CGI effects and explosions is probably "Boring " to them.

The ones screaming FLop because of a 80% RT ratings would be screaming about how critics are out to "get" afilm it was in a CBM franchise film.

I've read the book and seen the original movie and this version still had some unexpected twists. The book is still seedier in some ways? Anyway, the story did pick up once Cate appeared, but I enjoyed the carnival atmosphere, so I get why del Toro wanted to linger in it. Strong performances all around.

Some guy in my screening seemed to find every wisecrack to be the most hilarious thing ever.

Surprisingly I really dug this! The runtime could have been cut by 10-15 mins but I was never bored. Comparing and contrasting the differences to the 1947 one were fascinating. The most amusing change was how in the original, the couple needed to be married before she moved in with him, but here they're unwed. I honestly think the two are pretty equal with varying pros and cons each but the third act in the remake was much stronger. What had to be implied or sugar coated subject matter wise could now be fully delved into. Visually it looked very good, still a bit too digital but very striking use of contrast in the colours. The way they lit and framed some of those closeups of Cate Blanchett, if converted to black and white could have come from that era. 

8/10

3 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Yeah I thought it was really cool and kept my interest the whole time, but it's one of those movies that I could see someone else getting bored during and couldn't really fault them for that.

The opening stretch made me think of how this property would’ve worked as a limited series, where there's more time to linger with the atmosphere and the side characters. It's not that the carnival stuff was boring, but it might have lost me if I hadn't seen the original or read the book and known where the story was ultimately going.

Honestly I thought the carnival stuff was a chore to get through. Even for what's supposed to be full of wonder and excitement, it's pretty boring and directionless. I feel like making this a series would have made things worse, because then it's just more carny fluff. I want more of the Cate Blanchett side of things, not less.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:35 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Bradley dropped by Colbert last week and is taking part in Variety's "Actors on Actors" series. Maybe they figured the movie would flop at the box office anyway, so let's save our big promo efforts until they start voting on industry awards?

Problem with that strategy is you need strong reviews for that, and Nightmare Alley did not get them.

IMHO it's had it's moments, but is not nearly as good as the 1948 Original.