That One Girl

Nightmare Alley | December 17, 2021 (Wide Release) | Searchlight | Directed by Guillermo del Toro and starring Bradley Cooper

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Rejecting DelTorro.,,,,     It's insane how high Leo is on the totem pole in Hollywood. He's basically the biggest star in HW, with first choice of biggest and most prestigious directors.

He's the only working actor who can sell a movie on his name, and he's only interested in non-genre fare, so it makes sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TMP said:

He's the only working actor who can sell a movie on his name, and he's only interested in non-genre fare, so it makes sense.

Wonder if Leo is beginning to shy away from playing SOBs...and the lead in Nightmare Alley is definently a worthless SOB.

That is why Tyrone Power was so good in the role in the original. He was tired of playing heoroic leading men, finally had a chance to play a really bad individual, and made the most of it.

In some ways,though, Bradley Cooper is actually better for the role then Leo is.

Bcoop is a great choice even financially, he may not have leo's streak but he's one of the few that can move the needle when a project looks appealing.

But slightly dissapointed Leo isn't doing this. His 2 best performances for me (Catch me if you can and WOWS) were about playing charming con men, this looked tailor made for him. And I worry he 'll take another 2-3 years to make another movie at this rate.

10 minutes ago, Joel M said:

But slightly dissapointed Leo isn't doing this. His 2 best performances for me (Catch me if you can and WOWS) were about playing charming con men, this looked tailor made for him. And I worry he 'll take another 2-3 years to make another movie at this rate.

He should do the PTA flick he passed on

i kinda think cooper is an upgrade just in terms of quality i think he's a better actor. obviously not as consistent as dicaprio in terms of box office. maybe if Del Toro casts Lady Gaga in the female lead that'll make up for it.

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 3

Just now, RichWS said:

Shudder to think how much SUFFERING and TRUMP COMMENTARY there is in the Inarritu

Has there been a backlash to Revenant/Birdman? Maybe it's because I was like 16 but I remember really liking those films.

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Has there been a backlash to Revenant/Birdman? Maybe it's because I was like 16 but I remember really liking those films.

inarritu's always had haters for his exhausting try hard nonsense. including me! i liked the revenant actually but even that is a dumb chuck norris revenge movie gussied up by some nice lubezki photography.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Haven't been on board with that guy since 21 Grams. Babel is terrible. Allowed myself to get excited for both Birdman and Revenant but didn't like either one. I've accepted that I simply don't vibe with his stuff.

I've also never been the biggest GDT guy in the world but I always let it slide cause he's such a jolly round dude.

Edited by RichWS

34 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i kinda think cooper is an upgrade just in terms of quality i think he's a better actor. obviously not as consistent as dicaprio in terms of box office. maybe if Del Toro casts Lady Gaga in the female lead that'll make up for it.

If Gaga wants of play a bitch from hell....which is what the female lead in this film is. It's one of classic Film Noire Black Widow Spider Femme Fatale roles.

FOr those how have not seen the original, NONE of the leads charecters are very admirable. They are all pretty much scum.

Just now, dudalb said:

If Gaga wants of play a bitch from hell....which is what the female lead in this film is. It's one of classic Film Noire Black Widow Spider Femme Fatale roles.

FOr those how have not seen the original, NONE of the leads charecters are very admirable. They are all pretty much scum.

thank you.

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

GOAT movie. PTA's best. during the phantom thread press tour he talked about it like he's kinda embarrassed about it now which is a shame. in fairness if you watch the behind the scenes he's obviously so fucking wired on cocaine the entire time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

GOAT movie. PTA's best. during the phantom thread press tour he talked about it like he's kinda embarrassed about it now which is a shame. in fairness if you watch the behind the scenes he's obviously so fucking wired on cocaine the entire time.

Yeah, I'd call Magnolia PTA's masterpiece over Boogie Nights & There Will Be Blood, but that's probably an unpopular opinion.

• Like 1