movies!movies!

Salem’s Lot | Warner Bros.

15 hours ago, Krissykins said:

January and February have plenty of good horror films. They’re actually two of the most popular months for horror. 

Scream & Scream 2 released in December. Scream 3 in February and Scream (2022) in January. 

In the last 10 years there’s basically been 5 movies to come out in January or February that have both been good and made a good amount of money. Scream 2022, Get Out, Invisible Man, Mama, and Split. They are definitely not two of the most popular months for horror. Maybe the most popular months to dump shitty horror movies. 3 of your 4 examples came out over 2 decades ago.

Looks as if the studio does not have much confidence in this movie.

I don't buy the " they need more time to work on it" angle. Unless the studio is planning huge reshoots, which I doubt, they are stuck with what they have got. ANd the new release date smells of dump.

Clear that "It" was a fluke, and did not start any new trends. 'Pet Seminary and Firestarter both failed, and even in TV "The Stand" miniseries flopped. Granted, with "The Stand" it had the worst timing I have ever seen: A movie abut a virus that kills 99.9% of humanity in the first couple of hours aired at the height of the Cornoa Virus. Luck does not get worse then that.

8 hours ago, Scubasteve716 said:

In the last 10 years there’s basically been 5 movies to come out in January or February that have both been good and made a good amount of money. Scream 2022, Get Out, Invisible Man, Mama, and Split. They are definitely not two of the most popular months for horror. Maybe the most popular months to dump shitty horror movies. 3 of your 4 examples came out over 2 decades ago.

I said two of the most popular months for horror films to be released, nothing about quality. I thought both Mama and Split were average at best, so I could find alternatives. 

Only provided the Scream franchise examples because someone incorrectly claimed that no big horrors were released in those months. 

Edited by Krissykins

16 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I said two of the most popular months for horror films to be released, nothing about quality. I thought both Mama and Split were average at best, so I could find alternatives. 

Only provided the Scream franchise examples because someone incorrectly claimed that no big horrors were released in those months. 

What are you talking about? I said Horror movies releasing in January or February usually suck or are being dumped because the studio doesn’t think it’ll perform. You literally responded with “January and February have plenty of good horror movies” and then went on to say they are two of the most popular months. How is that “nothing about quality”? Sounds like you’re just trying to argue.

Edited by Scubasteve716
Missed a word
  • ...wtf 1

10 hours ago, Scubasteve716 said:

What are you talking about? I said Horror movies releasing in January or February usually suck or are being dumped because the studio doesn’t think it’ll perform. You literally responded with “January and February have plenty of good horror movies” and then went on to say they are two of the most popular months. How is that “nothing about quality”? Sounds like you’re just trying to argue.

I’m not ring to argue, you’re just misunderstanding. You’re confusing quality with quantity. 

The fact is: January and February are popular months for studios to release horror films. Because they usually deliver decent numbers in those months. 

4 minutes ago, Eric the Genie said:

God, we are back in the 80's with people making jokes about a long line of not very good Stephan King Adaptions.

Clear Warners has zero faith in this.

Would not be surprised if it ended up with a streaming release.

Man, WB just cannot catch a break.

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

To be honest, I’m more excited for Evil Dead Rise than I am Salem’s Lot, but hopefully it’ll find a release date soon. Few red flags now though. I bet at one point they thought this could be a new IT. 

A lot of studios though that, and brought out remakes of classic Stephan King novels. All failed.

Sorry, but if ever a film had 'turkey" written on it it's this version of "Salem"S Lot". The studio has clearly no faith in it.

I love good horror movies, but long ago found out that if any genre of film follows Sturgeon's law it's horror movies 90% of them are crap. I think it's because horror, on the surface, seems to be an easy genre to do, but in reality, it's hard to do a good one.

Edited by dudalb

10 minutes ago, Eric the Genie said:

It's TBD 2023 to be exact. Reminds me of when Amazing Spider-Man 3 was booted off to a similarly vague 2018 date after part 2 underperformed. I find it interesting that Deadline's noting that it's in post, as I was sure they would Josstice it up after the first delay.

Still no word on what's going on with Coyote vs ACME though. Wouldn't be terribly surprising to learn it got tax-flushed like Batgirl before Zaslav's option expired.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Wouldn't be much of a shock if this is really bad with all the delays it's endured at this point tbh.

I saw an advanced screening a few months ago, it's not bad at all. From what i can tell, this surveyed pretty well. I can see this being a crowd pleaser in the way The Black phone was this year (I still liked TBP more) but from what i saw this is not something they're going to dump. I think This would've done well in september but there was no way it was going to be finished in time.