charlie Jatinder

Thursday (04/25) Numbers - Captain Marvel #1

Expected it to be number 1 easily but still, fantastic drop 

The theater I went to tonight had 14 screens, and 11 of them showing Endgame lmao, 2 for CM and 1 CoLL

Despite Endgame being the true #1 today (with a probable $55-65 million previews), it will be very very satisfying to see a #1 spot next to Captain Marvel's dailies after LITERALLY more than a month of it being below number one (March 22-April 24). I took CM 35 days to climb back up to #1 with it getting as low on the chart as #7 on April 12. Talk about impressive. Glorious run, 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Godzilla said:

God dayum? Might it even increase again this weekend? If it does $450M+ seems possible. 

Nah it will fall off either next week or week after and then have decent drops I imagine. 430ish give or take

Just now, cdsacken said:

Nah it will fall off either next week or week after and then have decent drops I imagine. 430ish give or take

It will not fall till Pikachu comes out. I am 100% sure of that. 

I think it will have very low drops going forward. If you have watched Endgame you will be surprised CM got lots of cheers. 

6 hours ago, Arlo245 said:

Despite Endgame being the true #1 today (with a probable $55-65 million previews), it will be very very satisfying to see a #1 spot next to Captain Marvel's dailies after LITERALLY more than a month of it being below number one (March 22-April 24). I took CM 35 days to climb back up to #1 with it getting as low on the chart as #7 on April 12. Talk about impressive. Glorious run, 

So CM has managed to get #1 49 days after release. 

This has inspired me to make a "latest day as #1" ranking (2002-). Setting a cut-off point at 30 days after release, I get:

1- My Big Fat Greek Wedding was on 147 days after release (that run was just incredible)

2 - Avatar, 77 days after release

3 - Frozen, 73 days after release

4 - PotC: Curse of the Black Pearl, 63 days after release

5 - Jumanji, 51 days after release 

6 - Captain Marvel, 49 days after release

6 - American Sniper, 49 days after release

8 - Hidden Figures, 47 days after release

8 - Passion of the Christ. 47 days after release

10 - Black Panther, 41 days after release

11 - The Force Awakens, 38 days after release

12 - The Revenant, 35 days after release

13 -Paranormal activity, 33 days after release

14 - Return of the King, 30 days after release

15 - Zero Dark Thirty, 30 days after release

What other films would make the ranking? I probably missed some superleggy film, or platform release that went wide like one month later.

Incidentally Titanic last confirmed day at #1 was April 2nd, 1998, after 107 days of release. But BOM weekday data has lots of holes for that era, so I can't say for sure that was the last (the reason for picking 2002- films, besides limiting the frame).

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Continues to confirm that Captain Marvel may have had one of the best release dates in history,

Continues to suggest that Disney completely hashed the release date of AntMan & The Wasp. The two months later element was bad enough, but the staggered World Cup release now surely has to be acknowledged as a terrible call.

Thanksgiving or Christmas release and surely it could have had a slice of this pie. 

• Like 3