SLAM!

The Last Full Measure | January 24th, 2019 | Roadside Attractions | Vietnam War Film

LFM-poster-1.jpg

This film is about the efforts of loved ones to award a fallen Vietnam veteran with the Medal of Honor decades after the war. It is currently slated for release on October 25th, 2019.

Edited by SLAM!

9 hours ago, JB33 said:

@SLAM! Do you mind editing the release date in the title to January 24, 2020?

By the way, do you plan on seeing this? It's got a great cast!

I have to be honest. I'm not sure if I'll be seeing this one. I watched the trailer without any volume and the film itself looks pretty dull; in other words, creatively lacking from a filmmaking perspective. The film isn't out yet and I'd love to be wrong, but I'm just not sure about this one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I have to be honest. I'm not sure if I'll be seeing this one. I watched the trailer without any volume and the film itself looks pretty dull; in other words, creatively lacking from a filmmaking perspective. The film isn't out yet and I'd love to be wrong, but I'm just not sure about this one.

The cast intrigues me and sometimes that itself can lift a film. I think I'll give it a chance, so long as my theatre gets it, which I'm not really counting on. If I happen to be able to see it I'll let you know what I think!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If not for this thread I wouldn't even know of this movie's existence. Another dud for a month that looks to be full of them.

Another delayed film, too. This was supposed to come out October 25. Feels like there are more delayed films than originally scheduled ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Another delayed film, too. This was supposed to come out October 25. Feels like there are more delayed films than originally scheduled ones.

That's January for ya. It's where movies that studios have no faith in go to die quick deaths (unless you're an expanding Oscar contender).

On 1/8/2020 at 8:53 PM, filmlover said:

That's January for ya. It's where movies that studios have no faith in go to die quick deaths (unless you're an expanding Oscar contender).

You got that right.

Ride Along still has the opening weekend record for a January debut (aka not a December movie going wide in January, like American SniperThe RevenantLone Survivor etc.) with $41,516,170 back in 2014. We've seen typical "dead months" evolve and have big openings and runs at the box office but January is the only weekend  that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. I wonder if any studio will have the guts to debut a tentpole there anytime soon....

• Astonished 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:53 PM, filmlover said:

Why don’t studios just let the movie die where it was originally intended to release? Not sure when the release date for this was but like just release it and let it die then? I feel like January has the potential to have better box office business but it’s really just become a grave yard for films. Shame. 

Also this has a pretty notable cast and I literally had no idea about it until right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Why don’t studios just let the movie die where it was originally intended to release? Not sure when the release date for this was but like just release it and let it die then? I feel like January has the potential to have better box office business but it’s really just become a grave yard for films. Shame. 

Also this has a pretty notable cast and I literally had no idea about it until right now. 

I know, hey? It's like, okay it's a bust. Just release it and be done with it. Don't hold it back and analyze. 

However, maybe this was always meant to release limited first. The box office sites do that a lot, they list certain movies as going wide when they end up releasing limited first. Sometimes the roll-out for a film is announced in a press release, usually for more prestigious projects like when 1917 and Just Mercy were announced to open limited at Christmas and go wide on January 10, but often times nobody knows. You can only take your best guess. In this case, Roadside Attractions has released smaller movies like this wide right off the bat before (Forever My Girl and I Can Only Imagine, both in 2018) so I can see why BOM or The Numbers would have expected this to be a wide release for the studio. 

Now if it doesn't release at all, well fuck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I know, hey? It's like, okay it's a bust. Just release it and be done with it. Don't hold it back and analyze. 

However, maybe this was always meant to release limited first. The box office sites do that a lot, they list certain movies as going wide when they end up releasing limited first. Sometimes the roll-out for a film is announced in a press release, usually for more prestigious projects like when 1917 and Just Mercy were announced to open limited at Christmas and go wide on January 10, but often times nobody knows. You can only take your best guess. In this case, Roadside Attractions has released smaller movies like this wide right off the bat before (Forever My Girl and I Can Only Imagine, both in 2018) so I can see why BOM or The Numbers would have expected this to be a wide release for the studio. 

Now if it doesn't release at all, well fuck.

The audience scores for this aren’t bad on IMDB (7.8) so I’m not sure if this is going to get panned. 

But in general I just don’t get the idea of moving a movie to January just to dump it. Like if the movie sucks, it’s going to die whether it’s released in January or released any other month. We see terrible (and I mean terrible) movies get released throughout the year and die at the box office. So why not just let these other movies die in their original release dates and release something good? Lol 

It would be a shame if this movie ended up good but getting moved to January destroys any BO potential for it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

The audience scores for this aren’t bad on IMDB (7.8) so I’m not sure if this is going to get panned. 

But in general I just don’t get the idea of moving a movie to January just to dump it. Like if the movie sucks, it’s going to die whether it’s released in January or released any other month. We see terrible (and I mean terrible) movies get released throughout the year and die at the box office. So why not just let these other movies die in their original release dates and release something good? Lol 

It would be a shame if this movie ended up good but getting moved to January destroys any BO potential for it. 

That's the thing, it would be a waste. Personally I think it looks kinda good. I wish we knew why some of these studios get cold feet, especially seemingly at the last minute.