Eric Atreides

Avengers: Endgame Monday Thread (4/29): 36.87M (3rd best Monday ever)

There was room for Avatar and Sherlock back in 2009. I think Pika will survive, although it might be muted a bit the first weekend.

At least, I'll spend one of my A-List tickets on it one of those weekends, hopefully it'll get a weekend in Dolby.

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

In WB defense, they’re not the ones who actually scheduled Pikachu for May 10th. It was scheduled there when they acquired it. They just never moved it though. 

Hmm, didn't know that. Thanks.

I still did question WB's scheduling somewhat, even if nobody knew EG would be this big. They could have moved Detective Pikachu and they also have Godzilla: King of the Monsters just 3 weeks later. Yet, they only have two films in July and August, both of which are in August: The Kitchen and Blinded by the Light. July I suppose I can understand, but they could have put on the 2nd weekend of August which was The Meg's slot and that worked out really well. Sure there's a large number of releases currently there but none of them are actually threats.

I don't know. Just spitballing here.

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

Same.  Only with my Dad.

I was talking to mine, and he mentioned that our Disney Stock was up again.  I replied: "Well, End Game did make 350M this weekend."

And he said to me: "What are you talking about?"

Now, my Dad hates "funny books" and knows nothing about Marvel Studios.  He continued: "It made 1.2 BILLION."

I was like, 

:hahaha:

CNBC is clearly on top of this.

I saw a lot of articles about Disney stock with Endgame BO headlines or having a mention within the article itself. Stockholders would have been well aware, even if they are not moviegoers, about Endgame’s box office. 

Btw as DIS holders, you guys must have been very happy the last month. That shit went up 30% freaking percent in a month. 

I imagine former Fox shareholders who got Disney shares through the deal would be very happy right about now too. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IceFire9yt said:

Obviously this is amazing.  However, Infinity War had a better Monday drop than the Avengers, so I'm not sold on this being reflective of legs.  OTOH, this would be a significantly better Monday drop.

Endgame: 58-55.7%

Infinity War: 64.3%

The Avengers: 66.9%

AoU: 73.7%

GotG2: 74.8%

Still, its pretty clear that the Monday drop has a lot more to do with spillover than long term multi, so we should probably see how it plays out over the week.

Honestly it's so hard to tell. BP did 40m on the holiday Monday, dropped hard Tuesday and even harder Wednesday to 14.6 million. Through that point it was at 277 million and went on to earn another 423 DOM.

Infinity War had a significantly smaller Monday at 24, solid Tuesday 23 and then 17 on Wednesday. It was at 322 million at this point and went on to earn 356 more million.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

Not sure what the drop will be Tuesday. High demand but lower ticket prices. 

Let's say 32 million Tuesday, 23 Wednesday putting us at 450.

At the same point in time Infinity War was at 47.554% of it's final DOM.

Using the same math for End Game puts the final total at 946.28 million.

Saw it this afternoon.  Loved it.  A lot to digest, so will probably have to see it again.  I wonder if that is going to be one of those minor things that adds a few million.  Since it is a three hour movie, might there be a larger number of people needing another viewing?  Nice little hypothesis that is nigh impossible to predict.

At any rate, I really enjoyed playing the 'who skipped class' game at the matinee showing.  Mostly full theatre, with a lot of backpacks on a school Monday... 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

There was DP doom posting not too far back.

Check the DP thread it's worse in there. They got lucky to be frank. Had End Game stayed on May 3rd, it truly would be crushed. Instead just hurt I imagine and who knows could still open well with good legs.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

A number like that with that runtime is crazy.

I hope that the lasting effect of Endgame is studious are not afraid of run time. I love Lawarence of Arabia, Gone With the Wind, Ben Hur(the real one), and Endgame and what makes all of these movies work is they have the time to breath on screen.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Menor said:

It was Christmas week so yeah. TFA's first set of weekdays was ~142 million, I don't think Endgame can beat that but whatever ground it loses (which shouldn't be too much) will be made up in weekend 2.

Not so fast. TFA had one advantage that is not often mentioned. Cmas and New Years both landed on a Friday. This game a nice boost to both the 2nd and 3rd weekend. The last Jedi on the other hand was hurt because Both of those dates fell on a Saturday. 

All this to say. If EG does not win 2nd weekend it is because it is getting no special bonues.

• Like 1

This insanity is really making me curious about Spider-Man: FFH. Are these enormous numbers a sign that there are now more avengers fans than ever before and that we could see a new Avengers-boost to upcoming marvel films, or is it simply hype over the finale and finale alone, and people will still be too mentally exhausted to care about another solo film?