The Wild Eric

Avengers: Endgame Monday Thread (4/29): 36.87M (3rd best Monday ever)

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yep. We say mid to late December is the best spot of the year for movies, and that's true, but to break it down even further 2015 had the best calendar configuration for December, as did 2009 and as will 2020. 

Friday December 18 is probably the best day on the calendar ever to release a sure-fire tentpole film.

That's why it took James Cameron fricking 11 years to make the sequel! :sarah:

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

thats final estimate  ?

they post the actual number for a certain time of day (varies in their posts) for a lot of cinemas.

If I remember it right mostly a few hundred cinemas are missing always, if its less they seem to add that (like 2400, but usually - I forgot the exact number, lets say in the case of A EG 4200 or whatever)

= not all cinemas, but really a lot of them

= not the whole day, see their time of day added

= not an estimate

Not sure if the presales for later hours are usually included, missed lots of pages, too many BOT not available for me, jumped over a lot of pages to catch up in part at least

Depending on how high the posted number is, this can happen:

- If a lot got sold per pre-sale, not a lot of room remains for walk-ups,

-  evenings might be get better, as a lot of people work during the day.

That is is even so much already I can only imagine bcs:

some take a long break, some take a half day or a day of vacation. Some call in sick

Pupils, students,.... or people not working for the moment, or working usually at other times of day than the average people.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

My guess

38M+36M+26M+23M

45M+65M+50M

2nd weekend - 160M

10day gross - 640M

Still 100M over TFA. Seriously, if it doesn't plummet, EG will finish its run comfortably over TFA

For me, the goal is 1b DOM or crack the alltime top10 adjusted list

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stripe said:

My guess

38M+36M+26M+23M

45M+65M+50M

2nd weekend - 160M

10day gross - 640M

Still 100M over TFA. Seriously, if it doesn't plummet, EG will finish its run comfortably over TFA

Seeing a film from 2019 in the top 10 adjusted list would be so surreal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Zoe Saldana will be part of the 2 highest grossing and 3 of the top 5 movies Worldwide.

One fun thing is to look at the per movie averages of different actors on BOM. (Domestically.)

People above 400m: Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Daisy Ridley, Letitia Wright.

People above 300m: Ian McDiarmid, Lupita Ngong'o.

People above 200m: Chadwick Boseman, John Boyega, Karen Gillen, Mark Hamill, Tom Holland, Rosie Huntington-Whitley, Lenny Kravitz, Christopher Lee, Evangeline Lilly, Jackson Rathbone.

In general, having a spot in either MCU or Star Wars films helps a lot, especially if there isn't much else. I think Hamill has the most credits noted on BOM, at 13.

The weird ones out are Huntington-Whitley (2 credits: Transformers 3 and MMFR), Lenny Kravitz (4 credits: Hunger Games series), and Jackson Rathbone (6 credits: mostly Twilight films.)

Daniels and Mayhew will probably reign supreme here, as neither is likely to add much more to their resume beyond SW9. Ridley and Wright will probably see theirs slowly decline as they expand out into more varied movies.

And McDiarmid, well, he could go up? (Is the laugh in the trailer a fake-out?) Although I think he does have more than the 4 credits BOM lists to his name, even if he is primarily a theatre actor. Trey Parker is one of the above 200m people, but I skipped on noting him, because only one film is noted. He's done more than DM3. He was in the South Park movie, and Team America. And other stuff.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I was expecting at most $150 million this weekend, but right now it genuinely could finish closer to $200M. If it goes over $175M then TFA really is on the cards. Dear god 

dat Friday number coming up in a few days - all eyes on it. 

If it does 175M, TFA is toast and 1b almost locked. Even with 150M 2nd weekend TFA record is falling!

• Astonished 2

Weekend Wrap-Up: Endgame Ends the Record Book, Practically Laps the Competition

Avengers: Endgame was expected to break records with some high-end predictions going as high as $350 million. Its final weekend numbers actually topped the high end expectations, as it opened with $357.12 million. This is almost exactly $100 million more than the previous record, set this weekend last year by Avengers: Infinity War. In fact, it is significantly more than the previous record for an overall weekend, set a few years back by The Force Awakens et al. Needless to say, the overall box office rose considerably from last weekend, up 270% to $402 million. More importantly, this was 29% more than the same weekend last year and this one weekend put a serious dent in 2019’s deficit in the year-over-year comparisons. Granted, 2019 is still behind 2018’s pace by more than 11% or $420 million at $3.28 billion to $3.70 billion. I suspect May will also be a very good month in the year-over-year comparison so hopefully that gap will be more reasonable in a month’s time. I don’t think 2019 will catch up to 2018 any time soon, but if it can cut the deficit in raw dollars in half by the end of May, then I will be happy.

Avengers: Endgame exploded out of the gate earning $357.12 million over the weekend setting countless box office records in the process. These includes, but are not limited to... biggest previews, biggest day, biggest weekend, etc. That’s not mentioning the fastest to $50 million through $350 million. I could keep listing these records for a long, long time, but it would get silly very quickly. Endgame is already the ninth biggest hit in the M.C.U. and it will quickly climb that chart, especially if it has decent legs. Granted, it is the definition of a Fanboy Film, but it also has 96% positive reviews and an unbelievable A plus from CinemaScore. The film could fall nearly nearly 60% next weekend and still break the second weekend record. It won’t have the same legs as The Force Awakens did, because it doesn’t have the Christmas / New Year break to boost its numbers, but it could still finish as the biggest domestic hit of all time.

Captain Marvel fell a mere 9% earning $8.31 million over the weekend for a total of $413.84 million after eight weeks of release. The film is now the undisputed box office champion for a female-led film, having overtaken Wonder Woman’s domestic crown over the weekend. It will be interesting to see how long it can hold onto this title. My guess is “Not long.” as Wonder Woman 1984 will hope to overtake her next year.

The Curse of La Llorona fell 69% to just $8.05 million over the weekend for a two-week total of $41.83 million. This is a dramatic fall; however, the film only cost $9 million to make, so I think it will still break even early in its home market run, if not sooner.

Breakthrough managed fourth place with $6.81 million over the the weekend for a three-week total of $26.62 million. The film should end its run with over $40 million, which is very solid for a faith-based film.

Shazam fell all the way to fifth place with $5.58 million over the weekend, while its running tally rose to $131.21 million. The film has already made enough to ensure a significant profit margin, so this decline is just a minor bump on the road to a sequel.

Penguins actually climbed into tenth place, thanks to a mere 50% sophomore stint decline. It added $1.14 million to its running tally, which now sits at $5.81 million. However, its theater average is just $629, so it will all but disappear from theaters over the next couple of weeks.

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/238590830-Weekend-Wrap-Up-Endgame-Ends-the-Record-Book-Practically-Laps-the-Competition

2 hours ago, stripe said:

My guess

38M+36M+26M+23M

45M+65M+50M

2nd weekend - 160M

10day gross - 640M

2 hours ago, Skwunk said:

Seeing a film from 2019 in the top 10 adjusted list would be so surreal.

I dunno if Endgame will get to the top 10 adjusted list, frankly. It could maybe get close.

The adjusted estimates might go up around July/August as they usually do. And since Endgame was released in April...it’s adjusted gross might go down some numbers.

I think ”Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” will hold on for very long as it can in the top 10. Which i would rather have that movie stand where it is. However, if Snow White got another wide re-release..that would have pushed the Exorcist down for 9th place.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

I remember there were several articles up about how bleak box office 2019 was up until March. And now we got even higher than what most people thought were the OW ceiling. GA really broke their piggy banks for Endgame 😂 

• Like 1