Eric Atreides

Avengers: Endgame Monday Thread (4/29): 36.87M (3rd best Monday ever)

This Cameron stans vs. everyone else feuding is just dumb IMO. I get it. They don’t want an original work from a singular visionary mad genius filmmaker that nobody thought could ever succeed to get taken down by a studio-manufactured franchise sequel engineered to get the maximum amount of money out of the masses. Well, you know how I see it, as someone who enjoys the MCU, hasn’t seen Avatar but ranks several prior Cameron movies among his all-time favorites? Even if Avatar goes down WW, it will have taken 11 years, 21 prior films and a few BILLION dollars spent up to this point just to get ONE movie that even stands a chance of taking down JAMES FUCKING CAMERON. The man who shattered the worldwide box office record on a scale hitherto undreamt of when Marvel Comics was in the throes of bankruptcy, then turned around did it again when people were still asking each other if Disney was insane for dropping 4 billion dollars on a comic book company.

After Cameron took the crown the first time, Star Wars with its creator at the helm, triumphantly returning after a 16-year wait and with hopes still in the stratosphere, couldn’t unseat him. 9 years later, Cameron was still on top, and the apex of the cinematic success of the most popular hero of the rival comic book company - a character who was this close to being a cinematic laughingstock at the same time Cameron defied odds and turned a seemingly guaranteed disaster into a triumph - couldn’t take Jim out.

After Cameron asserted his claim to the box-office throne by obliterating his own record when everyone else had failed, nobody could even knock him out of the #2 spot. It took another return of Star Wars, now with the might of the same entertainment empire who had bought Marvel behind it (and with people again questioning the wisdom of dropping so much money on an acquisition), and with 32 years of anticipation behind it, to make more than Cameron’s previous record breaker did, 18 years earlier, and even then it only made more than Titanic did before a 15th anniversary re-release that made the kind of money that theatrical re-releases just didn’t make in the age of Blu-Ray, and that no theatrical reissue would ever touch again. And even the revived Star Wars at the height of its success, with a fanbase not yet divided by controversy and doubt, still could not dethrone the King of the World. Just as recently as last year, what seemed itself to be the apex of a 10-year-running, 21-film comic book movie franchise still could only topple the initial worldwide gross that Cameron’s first record-breaker accumulated 20 years earlier.

This is it. This is the one movie that could have a chance, and despite its franchise now being under the same entertainment juggernaut so powerful it just absorbed the rival studio that helped bring Cameron to the top twice, said franchise still took its own 11-year-long underdog story, which began before their acquisition with a $500 million loan they weren’t even guaranteed to be able to pay back, from a bank that had already gone down in flames before Cameron broke his own record, with a stable of B and C- list heroes, and with a seemingly washed-up, has-been, unemployable former drug addict and ex-convict as the lead actor, to get this far. If this is the end, then let it be a glorious end.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

This Cameron stans vs. everyone else feuding is just dumb IMO. I get it. They don’t want an original work from a singular visionary mad genius filmmaker that nobody thought could ever succeed to get taken down by a studio-manufactured franchise sequel engineered to get the maximum amount of money out of the masses. Well, you know how I see it, as someone who enjoys the MCU, hasn’t seen Avatar but ranks several prior Cameron movies among his all-time favorites? Even if Avatar goes down WW, it will have taken 11 years, 21 prior films and a few BILLION dollars spent up to this point just to get ONE movie that even stands a chance of taking down JAMES FUCKING CAMERON. The man who shattered the worldwide box office record on a scale hitherto undreamt of when Marvel Comics was in the throes of bankruptcy, then turned around did it again when people were still asking each other if Disney was insane for dropping 4 billion dollars on a comic book company.

After Cameron took the crown the first time, Star Wars with its creator at the helm, triumphantly returning after a 16-year wait and with hopes still in the stratosphere, couldn’t unseat him. 9 years later, Cameron was still on top, and the apex of the cinematic success of the most popular hero of the rival comic book company - a character who was this close to being a cinematic laughingstock at the same time Cameron defied odds and turned a seemingly guaranteed disaster into a triumph - couldn’t take Jim out.

After Cameron asserted his claim to the box-office throne by obliterating his own record when everyone else had failed, nobody could even knock him out of the #2 spot. It took another return of Star Wars, now with the might of the same entertainment empire who had bought Marvel behind it (and with people again questioning the wisdom of dropping so much money on an acquisition), and with 32 years of anticipation behind it, to make more than Cameron’s previous record breaker did, 18 years earlier, and even then it only made more than Titanic did before a 15th anniversary re-release that made the kind of money that theatrical re-releases just didn’t make in the age of Blu-Ray, and that no theatrical reissue would ever touch again. And even the revived Star Wars at the height of its success, with a fanbase not yet divided by controversy and doubt, still could not dethrone the King of the World.

This is it. This is the one movie that could have a chance, and despite its franchise now being under the same entertainment juggernaut so powerful it absorbed the studio that helped bring Cameron to the top twice, it still took its own 11-year-long underdog story, which began before their acquisition and with a $500 million loan they weren’t guaranteed to be able to pay back, from a bank that had already gone down in flames before Cameron broke his own record, to get this far. If this is the end, then let it be a glorious end.

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression 

Acceptance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Back in 09/10 I followed Avatar's run on BOM old forum and was rooting for it to go as high as it could, now I want EG to crush it, it's possible to root for one BO run and years later rooting for another run to do better. In my experience the most memorable BO run was ROTK run in 03/04, first movie to cross 1B after Titanic, tied with the same number of Oscars.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

After Cameron asserted his claim to the box-office throne by obliterating his own record when everyone else had failed, nobody could even knock him out of the #2 spot. It took another return of Star Wars, now with the might of the same entertainment empire who had bought Marvel behind it (and with people again questioning the wisdom of dropping so much money on an acquisition), and with 32 years of anticipation behind it, to make more than Cameron’s previous record breaker did, 18 years earlier, and even then it only made more than Titanic did before a 15th anniversary re-release that made the kind of money that theatrical re-releases just didn’t make in the age of Blu-Ray, and that no theatrical reissue would ever touch again. And even the revived Star Wars at the height of its success, with a fanbase not yet divided by controversy and doubt, still could not dethrone the King of the World.

This is it. This is the one movie that could have a chance, and despite its franchise now being under the same entertainment juggernaut so powerful it absorbed the studio that helped bring Cameron to the top twice, it still took its own 11-year-long underdog story, which began before their acquisition and with a $500 million loan they weren’t guaranteed to be able to pay back, from a bank that had already gone down in flames before Cameron broke his own record, to get this far. If this is the end, then let it be a glorious end.

Yes , Cameron stans vs everybody else just dumb.

Spoiler

But why did yourself sound like Cameron stan tho.. :gold:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

This is it. This is the one movie that could have a chance, and despite its franchise now being under the same entertainment juggernaut so powerful it just absorbed the rival studio that helped bring Cameron to the top twice, said franchise still took its own 11-year-long underdog story, which began before their acquisition with a $500 million loan they weren’t even guaranteed to be able to pay back, from a bank that had already gone down in flames before Cameron broke his own record, with a stable of B and C- list heroes, and with a seemingly washed-up, has-been, unemployable former drug addict and ex-convict as the lead actor, to get this far. If this is the end, then let it be a glorious end.

Jim isn't dying bud. I welcome every single dollar Disney gets, it's all just more money in the bank to spend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression 

Acceptance 

To repeat what I said before that got lost in my avalanche of text, I haven’t even seen Avatar. I also haven’t watched Titanic in 20 years. I am just making the case that whoever comes out at the end of this, these are two truly worthy opponents.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Knock It Off 2

5 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Oh wow. Even though I just 'like' not 'love' Jim Cameron, I have to say it's a delight reading your arguments. The construction is well done. Are you a member of Jim Gang here? If you are, then they should send you as their spokesperson. Please dethrone @IronJimbo as the leader 😆.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

You do know I haven’t even seen Avatar, right? I am just making the case that whoever comes out at the end of this, these are two truly worthy opponents.

It’s just a little joke, like Jim Gang has been doing for years. Hey atleast they can still use the “A” comparisons with Avengers  

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Oh wow. Even though I just 'like' not 'love' Jim Cameron, I have to say it's a delight reading your arguments. The construction is well done. Are you a member of Jim Gang here? If you are, then they should send you as their spokesperson. Please dethrone @IronJimbo as the leader 😆.

Nope, I am not. I admire Cameron’s utter cojones, but I haven’t even seen Avatar.

I am just trying to make clear that even though I am a bigger fan of the MCU than of post-True Lies god-tier-era Cameron, I am neutral and appreciate how damn hard it has been to challenge the self-proclaimed King of the World.

Edited by TServo2049

13 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

After Cameron asserted his claim to the box-office throne by obliterating his own record when everyone else had failed, nobody could even knock him out of the #2 spot. It took another return of Star Wars, now with the might of the same entertainment empire who had bought Marvel behind it (and with people again questioning the wisdom of dropping so much money on an acquisition), and with 32 years of anticipation behind it, to make more than Cameron’s previous record breaker did, 18 years earlier, and even then it only made more than Titanic did before a 15th anniversary re-release that made the kind of money that theatrical re-releases just didn’t make in the age of Blu-Ray, and that no theatrical reissue would ever touch again. And even the revived Star Wars at the height of its success, with a fanbase not yet divided by controversy and doubt, still could not dethrone the King of the World. Just as recently as last year, what seemed itself to be the apex of a 10-year-running, 21-film comic book movie franchise still could only topple the initial worldwide gross that Cameron’s first record-breaker accumulated 20 years earlier.

Agreed, best not to spill another four paragraphs worth of ink over- OH.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

'Avengers: Endgame' had the biggest opening weekend of all-time in Canada

1. Avengers: Endgame (2019) – $28.5 million
  2. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) – $19.7 million
  3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) – $18.6 million
  4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) –  $17.2 million
  5. The Avengers (2012) – $14.6 million

@baumer@DAJK@Jason

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/avengers-endgame-canada-opening-weekend-tops-all-time

Legend

Awesome! Thank you finding this!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HFFC77 said:

Back in 09/10 I followed Avatar's run on BOM old forum and was rooting for it to go as high as it could, now I want EG to crush it, it's possible to root for one BO run and years later rooting for another run to do better. In my experience the most memorable BO run was ROTK run in 03/04, first movie to cross 1B after Titanic, tied with the same number of Oscars.

See, if ROTK had beaten Titanic, I would have been over the Moon, over Mars, over every other planet (including Pluto - because it was still a planet at the time). Just to make clear, I am not on the “Jim Gang,” I just am not willing to downplay success that has been truly earned simply because the movies that earned it aren’t among my favorites. I mean, it’s not like they’re Bayformers or something. I did enjoy Titanic in the theater in ‘97, and I was rooting for it at the Oscars the next year almost to the degree I later rooted for ROTK, it’s just never been on my must-rewatch list.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Agreed, best not to spill another four paragraphs worth of ink over- OH.

Yeah, I didn’t intend for it to be that long, but once I started I just couldn’t stop. All the historical connections just fell into place. (Though I am a software engineer by day, my college degree was History, as if you couldn’t tell.) For example, it occurred to me while I was writing it that when Titanic came out, Marvel was bankrupt and the last Batman film was Batman & Robin, so I had to put those in for context.

Edited by TServo2049

11 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Ugh Avatar was such an arthouse film..

and don’t get me started on its originality

Come on now. You know Avatar was original. Everything about it was unique and created by the genius that is Jim Cameron. Everything. I mean, a moon named Pandora... wow! Lucas take your Hoth, Tatooine and Naboo, those are so lame and stolen. Pandora is where it's at.

• Haha 1