Eric Atreides

Avengers: Endgame Monday Thread (4/29): 36.87M (3rd best Monday ever)

Huge OWs are amazing to watch but equally a film that start lowish or decent and have incredible legs is just as incredible to watch. Seeing Jumanji and TGS's run week on week was jaw dropping as well. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Jokes aside...I liked avatar and am looking forward to avatar 2

I like Avatar's spectacular visuals (not its story) but I'm also looking forward to watching Avatar 2. I remember when I first watched Avatar I was in utter awe.

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

'Avengers: Endgame' had the biggest opening weekend of all-time in Canada

1. Avengers: Endgame (2019) – $28.5 million
  2. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) – $19.7 million
  3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) – $18.6 million
  4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) –  $17.2 million
  5. The Avengers (2012) – $14.6 million

@baumer@DAJK@Jason

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/avengers-endgame-canada-opening-weekend-tops-all-time

Legend

what about me :whosad:

Is that in CAD?

If only USD-CAD was 1:1 as it used to be. OW in USD would be $38.5M vs $28.5M (and overall record opening would be 10M higher) -- if those numbers are in USD.

$367M total

So USD-CAD being weaker than back then means a $10M difference overall. It's not nothing! 

Edited by Daxtreme

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

what about me :whosad:

Is that in CAD?

If only USD-CAD was 1:1 as it used to be. OW in USD would be $38.5M vs $28.5M (and overall record opening would be 10M higher) -- if those numbers are in USD.

$367M total

So USD-CAD being weaker than back then means a $10M difference overall. It's not nothing! 

ITS USD 

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Huge OWs are amazing to watch but equally a film that start lowish or decent and have incredible legs is just as incredible to watch. Seeing Jumanji and TGS's run week on week was jaw dropping as well. 

Oh yeah, absolutely. For another example, I wasn’t following My Big Fat Greek Wedding’s box office, but I was cognizant of the phenomenon. A little indie film from a nobody writer/director that Hollywood had no faith in and wouldn’t touch because it was too “ethnic”, turned into a self-powering perpetual-motion word-of-mouth hype generator. It was absolutely nuts to see people my mom’s age talking this movie up amongst themselves like it was their Star Wars. (And when I saw it, it had one of the best crowds I can remember.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

Is it safe to say regarding Sunday that GoT had like zero impact? Or for someone who thinks it did, what would the movie have done with a clean sunday night?

I think it did have an impact, actually, even if relatively slight in the overall scheme of things. 

I'm not sure if there's another compelling rationale for it having a higher Sunday drop than IW followed by a stronger Monday hold. Spillover like this should have resulted in a stronger Sunday drop otherwise. 

Edited by Jiffy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I like Avatar's spectacular visuals (not its story) but I'm also looking forward to watching Avatar 2. I remember when I first watched Avatar I was in utter awe.

To this day, I find it absolutely hilarious that Avatar was nominated for and actually won the Oscar for cinematography. Are the visuals stunning and beautiful? Absolutely. Were they filmed? Nope. CGI, baby! Avatar is an animated movie. This was maybe the worst Academy miss in my lifetime. It should not have been nominated in that category, let alone actually win the award.

Ok, enough ranting. I'm off to make a silent film and submit it as an entry into the best original score category.

Edited by doublejack

This is a review posted to Endgame on Rotten Tomatoes:

April 29, 2019

While it doesn't take too many chances with its narrative, it's still an appealing tale... It's a nice showcase for Fanning's talents -- she sings, and speaks Polish! -- and proof of concept for Minghella as a director.
Full Review | Original Score: 4/5

I spent some ten seconds thinking "Who did Elle Fanning play in this movie?"

Edited by ThiagoMaia
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

Ok, enough ranting. I'm off to make a silent film and submit it as an entry into the best original score category.

Now, now, music is absolutely key to silent film. (Now, if you were to submit the film totally silent, then yeah, it’s a great joke.)

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

ITS USD 

Well then the canadian contribution to OW would be 38.5 and not 28.5

OW is 10M lower just because of CAD-USD exchange rates. :hahaha:

Edited by Daxtreme

I do want to see Teen Spirit just because of Elle Fanning. Besides Shailene Woodley I think she's the best young actress working right now.

6 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

This is a review posted to Endgame on Rotten Tomatoes:

April 29, 2019

While it doesn't take too many chances with its narrative, it's still an appealing tale... It's a nice showcase for Fanning's talents -- she sings, and speaks Polish! -- and proof of concept for Minghella as a director.
Full Review | Original Score: 4/5

I spent some ten seconds thinking "Who did Elle Fanning play in this movie?"

Someone had better use that movie as a bait and switch, like going in expecting a cartoon musical about a snow queen and getting an R-rated indie thriller about people trapped on a ski lift.

Edited by TServo2049

14 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

I think it did have an impact, actually, even if relatively slight in the overall scheme of things. 

I'm not sure if there's another compelling rationale for it having a higher Sunday drop than IW followed by a stronger Monday hold. Spillover like this should have resulted in a stronger Sunday drop otherwise. 

It's b/c Saturday had Midnight, 2am and 4am shows filling up.  Sunday could match the day, afternoon and evening shows but not those late night shows before a school and work day did not, and in most cases those shows weren't even scheduled.    It's the same reason Saturday's jump from Friday was lower than AIW.  Friday was already doing near capacity all day long.

None of which had anything to do with GOT

Edited by TalismanRing

10 minutes ago, doublejack said:

To this day, I find it absolutely hilarious that Avatar was nominated for and actually won the Oscar for cinematography. Are the visuals stunning and beautiful? Absolutely. Were they filmed? Nope. CGI, baby! Avatar is an animated movie. This was maybe the worst Academy miss in my lifetime. It should not have been nominated in that category, let alone actually win the award.

Eh... ”Bambi” has some of the most awesome cinematographies ever. The compositions in the frames are all Mona lisas