Eric Duncan

Avengers: Endgame Monday Thread (4/29): 36.87M (3rd best Monday ever)

Just now, JB33 said:

Yes. He was a polarizing figure, to say the least. 

I liked the guy a lot more than others on this board.  But it's clear he never learned the truism "Let others be wrong."

That is, folks may really have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.  It happens a lot.  I know from personal experience (on both sides of the line ;)). 

But the dude was just incapable of 'playing nice' when stuff got under his skin.

His other main problem was that it was VERY easy to get under his skin.  To put it mildly. And when things got under his skin, he would go off.

He probably would have flourished in the more free-wheeling ancient days of BOM.  But this is the Kinder, Gentler, box office discussion site, so it probably just wasn't meant to be.

• Like 8

Just now, Porthos said:

I liked the guy a lot more than others on this board.  But it's clear he never learned the truism "Let others be wrong."

That is, folks may really have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.  It happens a lot.  I know from personal experience (on both sides of the line ;)). 

But the dude was just incapable of 'playing nice' when stuff got under his skin.

His other main problem was that it was VERY easy to get under his skin.  To put it mildly. And when things got under his skin, he would go off.

He probably would have flourished in the more free-wheeling ancient days of BOM.  But this is the Kinder, Gentler, box office discussion site, so it probably just wasn't meant to be.

Pretty much. I had a few choice words for him from time to time but otherwise I appreciated the time he took to share his numbers, opinions and experience/expertise. It sucks he left but as you said, this place probably wasn't for him.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*cues Wonder Woman theme song*

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The guy changed his review/opinion of WW based on the critics approval after claiming to hating it the first time around.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Let's just say 40+. Around 40-45 range. It'll be decent enough i guess.

Are you a third independent source here? 44 would definitely not be “decent I guess,” it would be craaaaaaazy good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

The guy changed his review/opinion of WW based on the critics approval after claiming to hating it the first time around.

I was away from the forum for about nine months or so in 2017, so I missed that whole controversy (plus a bunch of other things that went down in my absence).

Well, "missed" might not be the exact right word to use here, come to think of it. 👍

• Haha 2

I like insiders and all, but....the worst case scenario if we don't have them (at least in regards to numbers)  is we have to wait 12 hours or so. So if people are gonna abuse their insider status to be a jerk, then I'd rather not have an insider at all.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

28 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

few hours ago i was going with 36-38 trying stay conservative(over weekend conservative generally got me high end range :) ), but I could see how 40 or more could be achievable. It's just with presales so high, see how evening goes.

Yep, my issue was also with how high pre-sales could be. But during the weekend it managed to do higher than what pre-sales heavy films, read Star Wars did, which gives me confidence for that 40.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I was away from the forum for about nine months or so in 2017, so I missed that whole controversy (plus a bunch of other things that went down in my absence).

Well, "missed" might not be the exact right word to use here, come to think of it. 👍

You are awesome Porthos.

And it's good you weren't in that thread.

I was just lurking around that thread and many others for the most of that controversy.

• Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-opening-weekend-box-office-record-1202602445/

Today we hear that Endgame is poised to make $33M-$35M which is awesome and easily the third best Monday of all-time, behind Black Panther‘s all-time Presidents Day haul of $40.15M and the first Monday after Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($40.1M). Fandango reported earlier this morning that the crazy presales haven’t stoppedEndgame‘s second weekend is poised to be a record, beating Force Awakens ($149.2M); we’re hearing $180M-$200M at this point in time, which is between -45% and -50%.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 13
  • Disbelief 1

Allow me to be a little over optimistic for a brief moment, with a 43M day and following IW weekdays from there.   

The weekdays would be 80.63*43/24.74=140M — which would place as a top 30 OW :hahaha:

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

He probably would have flourished in the more free-wheeling ancient days of BOM

I remember the BOM forum days! I used to post there quite a bit. Then I stopped tracking BO for a bit and when I got back into it, there was no forum, just the main site. Took me a while to find this site and a lot of familiar faces had transposed over. Whatever happened to the BOM forum?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I like insiders and all, but....the worst case scenario if we don't have them (at least in regards to numbers)  is we have to wait 12 hours or so. So if people are gonna abuse their insider status to be a jerk, then I'd rather not have an insider at all.

That means more room for shitposting. I thought we were all in for that.

This forum will always have insiders. It's like a magnet for insiders.