Eric Duncan

Avengers: Endgame Tuesday Thread (4/30): 33.11M (3rd best Tuesday ever, 2nd best non-opening)

$2.8b in 2009 is more impressive than $3.2b in 2019 but that doesn’t discount the fact that this EndGame boxoffice run is one for the ages.  Will be etched in stone within the Hall of Boxoffice Champions. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I went to see The Long Shot today fam. It was a really funny and crowd pleasing movie. Fantastic chemistry between Rogen and Theron. Don't sleep on it like Lionsgate is doing by burying it with no marketing in a dead slot, go see it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, lilmac said:

$2.8b in 2009 is more impressive than $3.2b in 2019 but that doesn’t discount the fact that this EndGame boxoffice run is one for the ages.  Will be etched in stone within the Hall of Boxoffice Champions. 

Now when you consider how pathetic the dollar was in 09

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I went to see The Long Shot today fam. It was a really funny and crowd pleasing movie. Fantastic chemistry between Rogen and Theron. Don't sleep on it like Lionsgate is doing by burying it with no marketing in a dead slot, go see it.

saw a bus ad for this and thought it looked stupid so thanks for the rec.

21 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Not exactly. The exchange rate in 2009 in much better favor of USD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

FWIW, Star Wars didn't hit $80m until two months after its release, in late July 1977. But it ended its original run a year later with $307m.

Avengers would have to make $1.285B DOM to match that. 

Actually, SW’s original run was $221.3 million. BOM includes the 1978, 1979 and 1981 re-releases in their “first-run” total for reasons unknown.

The 1978 re-release (which was technically an extension because it began the day after the film was “withdrawn” from release) brought the total up to $265.1 million.

Then 1979 was $22.5 million and 1981 was $17.2 million. I am not sure what makes up the rest of the $307 million but that is apparently the official number pre-1982. (Though even an article on the films’ release history in StarWars.com has misstated it as its total from “ its original 18-month run”.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Actually, SW’s original run was $221.3 million. BOM includes the 1978, 1979 and 1981 re-releases in their “first-run” total for reasons unknown.

Yep, Star Wars's original domestic run actually adjust lower than TFA I believe. 

Does anyone know aside from ET and Titanic, which other movie adjust higher than TFA domestically in its first run? I don't think that GWTW adjust higher either.

25 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yessir, I plan to.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lilmac said:

actually no.  for 1 Avatar was "must see in 3d" so a lot of the premium format boost we have seen since were already baked into the cake even in 2009.

2nd like others have already stated you are not taking into account currency rate.

On December 31, 2009 the Official EUR to USD Exchange Rate:

Close: 1 EUR = 1.4365 USD

Today's Live Euro to US Dollar Spot Rate:

Live: 1 EUR = 1.1259 USD

So in basic terms if  a movie makes 80 million Euros today that would be 90 million dollars.

In 2009 80 million Euros convert to 114.92m

Now extrapolate that over the entire Eurozone.

Then consider WW there are other currencies that have fall FAR harder compared to the dollar than the Euro since 2009 and you quickly realize your post is ill informed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Not exactly. The exchange rate in 2009 in much better favor of USD.

Yeah, exchange rates offset the market growth.

Also, market growth doesn't mean grossing more. See Star Wars in emerging markets, or Jurassic Park doing nearly a billion but "only" increasing 60% 20 years later. Or Transformers just fading. 

Anyway, Avatar was beyond HUGE and Endgame is too. Both can co-exist just fine, it's not like Avatar erased Titanic from existence (which was more impressive IMO)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Saw it at an advanced screening yesterday and my audience loved it.  Movie would do really well with a different distributor and a less crowded release date but yeah Lionsgate's being fucking stupid lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Yep, Star Wars's original domestic run actually adjust lower than TFA I believe. 

Does anyone know aside from ET and Titanic, which other movie adjust higher than TFA domestically in its first run? I don't think that GWTW adjust higher either.

I don’t know if anything does. The Sound of Music and Jaws are the most possible, but both of those had re-releases whose grosses are not documented (and at the time, industry news still reported only the rental money returned to the studios by the theaters, not the gross receipts).

Also, most places I read consider The Sound of Music’s original run to have lasted four years. From what I understand, it was not fully withdrawn from general release by Fox until 1969 - even longer than GWTW which I believe was playing until 1941 or 1942.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

I don’t know if anything does. The Sound of Music and Jaws are the most possible, but both of those had re-releases whose grosses are not documented (and at the time, industry news still reported only the rental money returned to the studios by the theaters, not the gross receipts).

Also, most places I read consider The Sound of Music’s original run to have lasted four years. From what I understand, it was not fully withdrawn from general release by Fox until 1969 - even longer than GWTW which I believe was playing until 1941 or 1942.

Thanks, that's interesting. Jaws and Sound of Music would be my guesses too, but unsure. That does put TFA's impressive domestic run into perspective!