Eric Duncan

Avengers: Endgame Tuesday Thread (4/30): 33.11M (3rd best Tuesday ever, 2nd best non-opening)

Yeah, I definitely found Titanic's run more impressive than Avatar's. Avatar rode the waves of Titanic's success and also had a premise that was more marketable to global audiences. A period drama that's half romance and interpersonal relationships grossing nearly 2 billion in 1997 is... literally insane. 

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Thanks, that's interesting. Jaws and Sound of Music would be my guesses too, but unsure. That does put TFA's impressive domestic run into perspective! 

A 35th anniversary retrospective article on Jaws at CinemaTreasures.com says it grossed $192 million in original release (but I don’t believe we have data as to which additional releases account for the remaining $68m). That figure would currently adjust to about $844 million, still less than TFA.

This site attempts to adjust original runs for inflation, population growth and annual per-capita ticket sales (i.e., how often the average American/Canadian went to the movies that year). It hasn’t been updated since TFA, but it is very interesting. It actually ranks GWTW as 23rd. (And it credits Betty Logan as a data source, she manages a lot of the box office/movie financial history stuff on Wikipedia and from what I hear she’s a very good authority on things.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I went to see The Long Shot today fam. It was a really funny and crowd pleasing movie. Fantastic chemistry between Rogen and Theron. Don't sleep on it like Lionsgate is doing by burying it with no marketing in a dead slot, go see it.

WTF is with Hollywood pairing Rogen (an average looking fellow) with extremely beautiful women as his romantic or almost romantic on screen counterparts?  He’s been in this situation with Heigl, Banks, Byrne, Theron and others I am probably forgetting. He’s the new Adam Sandler. You never see an average looking woman repeatedly starring with several extremely handsome men. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

I don’t know if anything does. The Sound of Music and Jaws are the most possible, but both of those had re-releases whose grosses are not documented (and at the time, industry news still reported only the rental money returned to the studios by the theaters, not the gross receipts).

Also, most places I read consider The Sound of Music’s original run to have lasted four years. From what I understand, it was not fully withdrawn from general release by Fox until 1969 - even longer than GWTW which I believe was playing until 1941 or 1942.

GWTW was released like a dozen time over like 4-5 decades. I am not sure how they really calculate that movie adjusted to be honest. if they are using 1939 ticket prices, then multiplying the total admissions they are dead wrong, because that movie made money on releases in the 60s and 70s too. 

Edited by Birdo Mandingo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Yep, Star Wars's original domestic run actually adjust lower than TFA I believe. 

Does anyone know aside from ET and Titanic, which other movie adjust higher than TFA domestically in its first run? I don't think that GWTW adjust higher either.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

According to that: Jaws, The Ten Commandments, Doctor  Zhivago didn't have multiple releases. ET, unless like ANH there's an expansion mixed into that insane 1982 run. Same thing with Gone With the Wind and Sound of Music.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=et.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=gonewiththewind.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=soundofmusic.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

1 hour ago, Nerfy said:

:ohmygod:

AEG's rewatchable is insane for me.  That what happens when after ten years of waiting, Markus & McFeely and the Russos give you everything you could have ever asked for (with the exception of Bisexual Captain America Confirmed) I'm at six showings.  I did First Avenger, Avengers, and AIW ten times, so that's definitely my floor. 

The craziest showing will be with my nine-year-old nephew who hates crowds and going to movie theaters.  

Mom called me on Sunday.  "Guess who wants to go see End Game?"

"I don't know, Grandma?"

"No, you're nephew."

"Whaaaaaa?  Has even seen any of the movies?  I mean, obviously, yeah, I will take him, but really?"

"He saw it on the news, and then overheard we're going, and it now is upset we don't have tickets him cause it's sold out.  I said you would take him next week, and you would watch Black Panther with him."

"All right, all right, this will be fun!  He's also going to have to watch --"

"Don't overcomplicate this.  Just have him watch Black Panther.  That's one where they all dust -- "

"Nope, that's Infinity War."

"Aw, shit, I told him you'd watch Black Panther with him."

"At least you tried.  Love you, Mom."

What's BEYOND NUTS is 100% OBSESSED with Pokemon. He hasn't said a peep to me about Detective Pikachu.  I had fully intended to take him as a surprise special trip to Pika Pika.  

Guess if he does well at End Game, he's getting TWO trips to the movies in May.

Edited by captainwondyful
typo: is upset
  • Like 8
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

AEG's rewatchable is insane for me.  That what happens when after ten years of waiting, Markus & McFeely and the Russos give you everything you could have ever asked for (with the exception of Bisexual Captain America Confirmed) I'm at six showings.  I did First Avenger, Avengers, and AIW ten times, so that's definitely my floor. 

The craziest showing will be with my nine-year-old nephew who hates crowds and going to movie theaters.  

Mom called me on Sunday.  "Guess who wants to go see End Game?"

"I don't know, Grandma?"

"No, you're nephew."

"Whaaaaaa?  Has even seen any of the movies?  I mean, obviously, yeah, I will take him, but really?"

"He saw it on the news, and then overheard we're going, and it now upset we don't have tickets him cause it's sold out.  I said you would take him next week, and you would watch Black Panther with him."

"All right, all right, this will be fun!  He's also going to have to watch --"

"Don't overcomplicate this.  Just have him watch Black Panther.  That's one where they all dust -- "

"Nope, that's Infinity War."

"Aw, shit, I told him you'd watch Black Panther with him."

"At least you tried.  Love you, Mom."

What's BEYOND NUTS is 100% OBSESSED with Pokemon. He hasn't said a peep to me about Detective Pikachu.  I had fully intended to take him as a surprise special trip to Pika Pika.  

Guess if he does well at End Game, he's getting TWO trips to the movies in May.

This is amazing haha!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

According to that: Jaws, The Ten Commandments, Doctor  Zhivago didn't have multiple releases. ET, unless like ANH there's an expansion mixed into that insane 1982 run. Same thing with Gone With the Wind and Sound of Music.

See, that’s the problem. BOM mostly doesn’t document re-releases prior to 1982. They either adjust their lifetime gross total (which is sometimes just a round estimate for some older films) based on the ticket price of the year of release (Jaws, The Ten Commandments, The Exorcist, The Sting), or they have an estimated number of cumulative admissions which they directly multiply by the current ticket price (GWTW, Snow White, and I think The Sound of Music and/or Doctor Zhivago?) GWTW is estimated to have sold 200 million tickets over its lifetime - but we don’t know when. (And as I’ve said, we just don’t have much gross data prior to the late 70s; before then the industry only paid attention to rentals, the portion returned to the studio.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

SHAZAM 

0.55, 132.09 Tue

0.33, 132.42 (-40%)

0.33, 132.75 (-0%)

3.25 weekend (-42%) gives 135.5 cume aiming for 142-144 dom.

Edited by a2k

I just saw and game for a third time and it really does get better every time.

All IMAX shows are sold out again today as I mentioned earlier but the regular and 3D showings are definitely quiet. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fairly significant drop off today.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I just saw and game for a third time and it really does get better every time.

All IMAX shows are sold out again today as I mentioned earlier but the regular and 3D showings are definitely quiet. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fairly significant drop off today.

More than 30%?

IMO, comparing boxoffice from different eras doesn't work. I understand that adjustment to inflation is supposed to do justice to old movies, but also had advantages that modern movies don't. best compare movies from the same era but leave the rest alone cause it isn't the same. once upon a time, movies didn't have competition form other media or 3-4 new releases per week, etc. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 9

17 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=et.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=gonewiththewind.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=soundofmusic.htm&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

Those are wrong, otherwise exorcist would have been highest grossing movie of all time at one point. Finding re release date and gross for old films is extremely difficult.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, comparing boxoffice from different eras doesn't work. I understand that adjustment to inflation is supposed to do justice to old movies, but also had advantages that modern movies don't. best compare movies from the same era but leave the rest alone cause it isn't the same. once upon a time, movies didn't have competition form other media or 3-4 new releases per week, etc. 

I agree with this 100%. 

25 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

WTF is with Hollywood pairing Rogen (an average looking fellow) with extremely beautiful women as his romantic or almost romantic on screen counterparts?  He’s been in this situation with Heigl, Banks, Byrne, Theron and others I am probably forgetting. He’s the new Adam Sandler. You never see an average looking woman repeatedly starring with several extremely handsome men. 

I think that's the whole premise of the movie buddy LOL that's why it's called the long shot.