Eric Duncan

Avengers: Endgame Tuesday Thread (4/30): 33.11M (3rd best Tuesday ever, 2nd best non-opening)

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

That true but for example Russia's ticket price for a ticket was $7 + before 2014 and now it's $4.2 I mean it's still a lot worse then when Avatar was around.

And I get what you are saying but in Belgium the admission isn't going up, it's trending downwards if it was for the € amount increasing they would make less year over year so ER is very important in Belgium to get the Gross in $. But many Asian countries extremely big increase of the last few years so they would easily off set the deminished returns for europe. 

This is why I never include Europe in my argument. European economy has been stagnant that bad exchange rate can hardly induce any extra inflation rate. Release a movie in a bad ER era can really have effect on overall earning.

But that is 100% not true for LA and Asian Market, where cinema business is booming, inflation is running over the top.

In a era when Avatar got 2.8b WW, we barely have a billion dollar blockbuster, only 4 of those did it with TDK, LOTR 3 and pirate 2 barely hit over 1b. 

And now people try to downplay Avatar and any film that come before that by displaying an exchange rate factor? 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Those are from the tv folks, not the film folks like with the Disney+ shows in case anyone gets their hopes up ;).

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

In Asian countries yes and that's where Avatar 2 gonna blast. In India, however its Hollywood that's grown, Bollywood is going down.

In West, not so much. Their markets are as big as they were in 90s. Titanic still holds record in many countries over Avatar in terms of admissions and very close or bigger in $s.

In France titanic holds the record in admissions and I wouldn't be surprise if it still is in 50 years lol

• Like 1

On the Avatar exchange rate talk, it’d seem a little unfair to me to “deflate” Avatar to 2.35b but then ignore the fact that China’s theatrical market has expanded in a massive way since 2009.

• Like 3

Just now, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

On the Avatar exchange rate talk, it’d seem a little unfair to me to “deflate” Avatar to 2.35b but then ignore the fact that China’s theatrical market has expanded in a massive way since 2009.

I always find it extremely hard to "adjust" Avatars run. There are so many factors - 3D, Inflation, Exchange rates, market growth - that i think we should really only use the actual 2,78B number and work with that without trying to adjust anything.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The exercice is purely what could it look like with a different but fully possible exchange rate scenario and not trying to compare if it is bigger than what Avatar did, i Imagine.

Because yes it would make no sense to compare an over 41-42B global BO market to a 30B one directly like that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I always find it extremely hard to "adjust" Avatars run. There are so many factors - 3D, Inflation, Exchange rates, market growth - that i think we should really only use the actual 2,78B number and work with that without trying to adjust anything.

Agree, and I think that is the main reason those endless 'discussions' start again and again and... its so many details that vary from country to country, year to year and so on, no one might ever be able to find a definition that can be used really generally and for every year. :wacko:

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

In a world where there's only 4 movies that ever did over 1B, Avatar almost did 3. That sentence alone should be enough. 

Anyway, I'm convinced now the EG is probably surpassing Avatar worldwide, barring some sudden legs collapse. and in any case, Endgame is having a phenomenon run, that's for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think we should really not, stopping to adjust is stopping just any possible talk about anything ever.

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Agree, and I think that is the main reason those endless 'discussions' start again and again and... its so many details that var from country to country, year to year and so on, no one might ever be able to find a definition that can be used really generally and for every year. :wacko:

Well the other scenario is having never any discussions, what else can be talked about ?

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

It would have been in danger had the movie been released in December. Don't understand why disney refuses to release MCU movies during the holidays 

Movies earlier in the year = more toy and home video sales during the holidays. Likely still nets out considerably in their favor. 

Just now, Barnack said:

I think we should really not, stopping to adjust is stopping just any possible talk about anything ever.

I meant Avatar specifically as i think its a special situation with that film for reasons i think have been discussed to death :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, BiffMan said:

Movies earlier in the year = more toy and home video sales during the holidays. Likely still nets out considerably in their favor. 

Earlier in the year would be better for the holiday season sales than having the movie craze during the holiday ?

41 minutes ago, baumer said:

But 936 isn't.

Infinity war after it's 4th weekend only did about 83 more million. I think we'll know by then. Should be past 800 then. If it's less no way. If it's crazy good like 850 then excellent chance

Edited by cdsacken