FlashMaster659

Avengers: Endgame Wednesday Thread: 25.25M

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It's insane how all four Avengers films are in the top 10 highest grossing films ever worldwide, and with Black Panther also in the list, Marvel has half that list all for themselves.

Makes you wonder how didn't Ultron make a hell of a lot more money. I'm still convinced to this day that were it not for the boxing fight, it would have broken the OW record DOM, but then you look at its DOM total and it still would've likely fallen way short of The Avengers' mark. But fuck, one could even make a case for its box office run as underappreciated when you compare it to, say, The Last Jedi or Fallen Kingdom (the other sequels to 200M+ openers). It dropped less from The Avengers than those two did from The Force Awakens or Jurassic World, and OS, even if you gave Avengers the same China total that Ultron had (the reason why Ultron saw an OS increase compared to Avengers, since Avengers came out before China had grown into a big movie market), its drop would still be smaller than the OS drops that Fallen Kingdom and The Last Jedi had as well. Not to mention it was a 1.4 billion grossing smash hit that made Disney hundreds of millions in profit, it wasn't some "just barely" hit like BVS or a potential money loser like TASM2 or Justice League.

But yeah. And yes, @Jay Beezy, they'll definitely take many years before unleashing another Avengers movie, for sure. But I doubt that even comes close to breaking the OW record again like 3 out of 4 films in the series did, albeit I wouldn't be shocked if Avengers 5 does crack the 300M OW mark (which is batshit insane to think about).

I think Ultron’s biggest issue was that it didn’t bring anything new to the table. 

The first Avengers brought the team-up extravaganza, Infinity War brought Thanos, a much hyped villain and Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy all together with the rest of the Avengers. Endgame followed a great cliffhanger, brought teaming up to a whole different level and it worked as a conclusion to 22 films.

Ultron had an evil robot for a villain, and the same team as the first one. The 3 new members of the team made their debuts in the film, Vision, Scarlett and Quicksilver.    

The first time an Avengers film was fresh, it made 1,5 billion, the second time 2 billion, the third time 3 billion give or take.

Ultron seemed like the 6th episode of a 12 episode season and that’s why it dropped down unlike 3 and 4.

I like Ultron a lot more than the first Avengers, so it’s not my intention to belittle the film. It was simply stuck between following a formula instead the genuine excitement of the first team-up and it had to use a villain that was going to be dispatched quickly because Thanos was still lurking and casting a huge shadow over everyone else.

Edited by The Dark Samurai
  • Like 8

So Wednesday was a 25.9% retention from Friday, while IW had a 25.2% retention.

Monday: EG - 37.8%, IW - 36.7% (EG +1.1%)
Tuesday: EG - 33.9%, IW - 34.8% (EG -0.9%)
Wednesday: EG - 25.9%, IW - 25.2% (EG +0.7%)

For Thursday, IW had a 23.02% retention, with that, EG Thursday would be about $22.4 mil.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Went to go watch Endgame a 3rd time (First act becoming my favorite) help those Thursday numbers and come home to Peter Mayhew passing away.. very sad, this day extracts a heavy toll. RIP

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Omnicore said:

Went to go watch Endgame a 3rd time (First act becoming my favorite) help those Thursday numbers and come home to Peter Mayhew passing away.. very sad, this day extracts a heavy toll. RIP

Almost identical to my experience today. 3rd time seeing the movie, come out seeing news about Chewie. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I fear for the expectations we're all gonna have for Avengers 5. How can it possibly live up to the Thanos films?

I would think maybe instead of going for sheer scope tell a different, smaller, more personal story. Something along the line of Civil War except instead of a political debate add in a villain which has some sort of mind powers, force our heroes to face their biggest fears, some fail, some get turned on each other, illusions/delusions, really warp them, etc. 

No need for a big CGI army, make it small and personal. Lots of interesting fights you can have between heroes as we saw in CW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eXtacy said:

I would think maybe instead of going for sheer scope tell a different, smaller, more personal story. Something along the line of Civil War except instead of a political debate add in a villain which has some sort of mind powers, force our heroes to face their biggest fears, some fail, some get turned on each other, illusions/delusions, really warp them, etc. 

No need for a big CGI army, make it small and personal. Lots of interesting fights you can have between heroes as we saw in CW.

Yep, I like this.

So, any early estimates for Thursday @RtheEnd? @Charlie Jatinder I know you said you weren't doing anymore numbers until after exams but I'm @'ing you anyway just in case.

9 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I fear for the expectations we're all gonna have for Avengers 5. How can it possibly live up to the Thanos films?

It just won't and that's ok. Because Avengers 6 will blow everything up

Just to remind newer users about that “Not cool” reaction.

Not Cool doesn’t add reputation to the user you react to with it.  It’s meant as a way to react to a user who’s post was in poor taste.

If, for example a user posts information that the Phillipines was showing a pirated version of Endgame, it’d be more appropriate to react with a WTF or Disbelief reaction.  As not cool could be seen as an insult to the user.

Or if it’s to somebody who gives a decent rundown of predictions you disagree with, you could either not react or do a WTF reaction.  They weren’t in poor character/taste by posting predictions.

An example of when to use the not cool reaction would be if somebody says “Your mother is a fat whore” or they say something racist.

Just kind of a reminder what situation is usually seen as best to use that reaction in as not everyone may be aware that it functions differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 12

11 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Just to remind newer users about that “Not cool” reaction.

Not Cool doesn’t add reputation to the user you react to with it.  It’s meant as a way to react to a user who’s post was in poor taste.

If, for example a user posts information that the Phillipines was showing a pirated version of Endgame, it’d be more appropriate to react with a WTF or Disbelief reaction.  As not cool could be seen as an insult to the user.

Or if it’s to somebody who gives a decent rundown of predictions you disagree with, you could either not react or do a WTF reaction.  They weren’t in poor character/taste by posting predictions.

An example of when to use the not cool reaction would be if somebody says “Your mother is a fat whore” or they say something racist.

Just kind of a reminder what situation is usually seen as best to use that reaction in as not everyone may be aware that it functions differently.

Shivampa/Manhunt/Matthew/MadmenEndgame -(02/21/19)- Permanently Banned  for trolling multiple threads and creating a duplicate account. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Knock It Off 1