FlashMaster659

Avengers: Endgame Thursday Thread: DHD 21.7M

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

Come on. Seth Rogen is a pretty normal-looking guy. He's not robust like he was 5 years ago. He actually looks much more normal adult like now and like I said you'd have to see the movie in context to completely understand where it's coming from.

I'd even say without the beard he looks pretty good.

seth_rogen.png?itok=8GA1xN7w

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nero said:

Because it's Box office forum for one thing and TFA and Avatar are 1 domestic and WW respectively.. Endgame has chance to pass both and be 1 domestic as well as WW... So talking about numbers is what we do in box office forum and only those 2 movies are compared is the reason.... 

No, it has become very repetitive discussions with unnecessary worries. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

Sorry doesn't compute. Maybe you're just talking about knocked out. But there's no other South Rogen movie that's like that. You can't say that him as a married man married to Rose Byrne is unrealistic.

Is he really married to her?

Monday: EG - 37.8%, IW - 36.7% (EG +1.1%)
Tuesday: EG - 33.9%, IW - 34.8% (EG -0.9%)
Wednesday: EG - 25.9%, IW - 25.2% (EG +0.7%)
Thursday: EG - 22.1%, IW - 23.0% (EG -0.9%)

IW had an average weekday gross of $20,158,589.25 ($80,634,357/4), while EG has an average weekday gross of $29,194,907.75 ($116,779,631/4). That's a daily retention from Friday percentage of 29.955% for EG, and 29.938% for IW.

Negligible difference. SO! IW had a 52.48% retention on weekend 2 from weekend 1 (minus previews), which leads to a $155,829,677 mil 2nd weekend for EG (a 56.4% total drop)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Over $42m for sure. My target is $44m.

That's where I see it landing.

Fri 44.16 (+105%)
    64.91 (+47%)
    50.63 (-22%)

2nd Weekend: 159.7 (-55%)

Total after 2nd WE: 633.57  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Monday: EG - 37.8%, IW - 36.7% (EG +1.1%)
Tuesday: EG - 33.9%, IW - 34.8% (EG -0.9%)
Wednesday: EG - 25.9%, IW - 25.2% (EG +0.7%)
Thursday: EG - 22.1%, IW - 23.0% (EG -0.9%)

IW had an average weekday gross of $20,158,589.25 ($80,634,357/4), while EG has an average weekday gross of $29,194,907.75 ($116,779,631/4). That's a daily retention from Friday percentage of 29.955% for EG, and 29.938% for IW.

Negligible difference. SO! IW had a 52.48% retention on weekend 2 from weekend 1 (minus previews), which leads to a $155,829,677 mil 2nd weekend for EG (a 56.4% total drop)

You’re full of tricks, wizard....

• Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Endgame very likely could see a similar uptick in receipts the closer SM:FfH get to opening.

It would mirror what happened to Captain Marvel.

It might go like last year when ANT-MAN 2 come out the same exact time as SM: FFH and AIW got no boost from that. 

• Like 1

The fact that the weekly percentages are almost identical is hilarious to me. I do think Endgame will drop a tad better than that, with closer to $161 mil, but I think that $155 mil number is a pretty good target.

41 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Is he really married to her?

They played husband and wife in neighbors and the sequel.

I feel uncomfortable turning this whole conversation into the hot girl in the not so hot guy but I don't know I think there was a great line in sex lies and videotape where I believe was Andie MacDowell that says women are more and more attracted to the men they love where is men fall in love with the women they are attracted to. There's been a few times when I have personally dated or slept with somebody way out of My League. Sometimes the chemistry just happens. I don't think the Seth Rogen Charlize Theron love possibility in the movie is completely outrageous especially when you see context in how it happens.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I feel uncomfortable turning this whole conversation into the hot girl in the not so hot guy but I don't know I think there was a great line in sex lies and videotape where I believe was Andie MacDowell that says women are more and more attracted to the men they love where is men fall in love with the women they are attracted to. There's been a few times when I have personally dated or slept with somebody way out of My League. Sometimes the chemistry just happens. I don't think the Seth Rogen Charlize Theron love possibility in the movie is completely outrageous especially when you see context in how it happens.

I am going to agree with this with regard to how the romance is depicted within the movie. The blossoming romance, while a little far fetched, was relatable and believable to a degree. The movie has some very funny lines in it and Theron is amazing just like always is.

That being said, there is undoubtedly a double standard in Hollywood. This is at least the fourth time Rogen - a regular looking guy but certainly no hunk - has been paired romantically with a woman much hotter than he is. By my reckoning, there's been Knocked Up, Zack and Miri, Neighbors and Long Shot where Rogen (a 6 or 7) is romancing a woman who is a 9 or a 10. There may be other instances I am forgetting; but he is certainly not the only actor routinely paired with hotter women (Adam Sandler, for instance).

How often do you see movies where the woman is a 6 or a 7 and she romances a guy who is a 9 or 10? Upthread it was mentioned that Isn't It Romantic is one such movie.. I haven't seen it so I cannot verify that; but I can't think of any others. And that's the sexist double standard. Hollywood, an industry mostly run by men, can indulge the fantasy of the plain looking guy landing the hot chick because the prime movie going audience is young men. Yet a man would never lower himself to engage in a relationship with someone well below their league. It's wish fulfillment in the former and ego maintenance in the latter. It's no wonder female moviegoers (and some male movie goers like myself) are tired of these reinforced stereotypes.

Regardless, Long Shot is a very enjoyable movie with plenty of fun moments and some killer lines. I saw it this afternoon and there were about 20 total people in attendance. I was easily the youngest audience member - and I'm in Baumer's age group. That being said, the first two trailers played were the red band one for Good Boys and the regular green band one for Book Smart. I doubt I will see any of the faces from today's showing when I go see those two films.

Well, what about 50 shades of Grey ? (The whole series?). From what I understand, the guy in that series is supposed to be a 10 (billionaire, handsome, and all). While the girl is more of a 7 because she is certainly not supposed to be some hot bombshell. Her selling point was that she was a submissive... 

And how about Bella and Edward in the twilight series? I mean, in the books, Bella was supposed to be an average 7. Edward was the hot handsome vampire of rating 10 (according to the fans). And even if Edward wasn't a 10, the hunky werewolf that was also vying for Bella's affections was probably a 10 too.  

Edited by Eldenfirefly