Grade it  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Man.. What a fun, feel good, funny movie! I've always been a fan of Seth Rogen & always love me some Charlize! 💙 Sucks that this move is being released the 2nd week of Endgame. Overall: loved everything about this. 

Quite good. Refreshing to see an old-fashioned feel-good romcom that works equally in both genres: this might be the funniest movie since Game Night from well over a year ago. Largely works thanks to the unlikely pairing of Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron: this might be Rogen's most effortlessly likable performance yet while Theron continues to prove there is no genre she can't handle, and they have surprisingly strong chemistry. Also gets good mileage from a very good supporting cast, including June Diane Raphael, O'Shea Jackson Jr., and a completely unrecognizable Andy Serkis (along with Bob Odenkirk and Alexander Skarsgard in what basically amount to cameos). The political stuff/satire is largely toothless, but it works so well as lighthearted fare that I can't complain. B+

Long Shot takes a concept that could make for a major mismatch – political satire melded with a rom-com with unlikely leads – and makes it work well thanks to the chops and chemistry of its stars. Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen have both demonstrated high comedic aptitude in past performances, and they’re both near the top of their respective light-hearted games here. Theron’s comedic timing and ability to wring laughs out of a serious character letting loose works to terrific effect here, and she’s stellar as always in making some of her character’s more vulnerable moments feel all too genuine. Rogen walks a fine line between the laugh-out-loud outrageous material he’s known for and a more seriocomedic tone, and he sells the intelligent and unconventionally charming characters that make his character appealing to Theron’s. I’m sure some viewers will complain that this film traces another case of a schlubby guy being rewarded with a gorgeous woman, but the script makes noticeable effort to show how the leads’ romantic connection springs from an obvious and understandable spark, and the chemistry that Theron and Rogen share makes it feel real and worthy of rooting for. There’s a hefty amount of fun political comedy as well, though the film is at its best when exploring the central relationship and how each person’s passions prove attractive to the other. The film runs just a tad long at a little over two hours, but it’s so funny and has such a winning combination in Theron and Rogen that it’s hard to resist. 

B+

Stray Thoughts:

- I had no idea whatsoever that Andy Serkis was in this movie until I looked at the IMDB page afterward. Damn, dude.

- That red dress was gorgeous!

- O'Shea Jackson, Jr. needs to be in more movies. Between this and Ingrid Goes West, the guy is clearly really solid in comedy.

- The irony of TV star Bob Odenkirk playing a man who laments how few TV stars have broken into movies was definitely not lost on me.

The funniest movie I've seen since This is the End.  And one of the best rom-coms I've ever seen.  Yep, I love this movie!

10/10

• Like 1

I echo @baumer's sentiment. Saw this a few weeks ago but haven't posted in here yet. One of the best rom coms I've ever seen. Halfway through the movie I realized I was incredibly invested in the romance, which made me realize just how well-written these characters are. The movie's also hilarious.

A-

• Like 1

What a shame this one went completely under the radar.
It was full of great chemistry, likeable characters and hilarious comedy.

It's what a Pretty Woman-Move should have looked in 2019.

I reeally hope it does good business in HV. This movie should be seen. 
It's here to make you feel good. Grab that chance!

8/10 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

This was alright. I don't know, maybe I'm just not big on romantic comedies. I wasn't crazy about Always Be My Maybe either but I liked it more than this. As far as comedies in 2019 go I thought Murder Mystery and (especially) Good Boys were funnier. Charlize Theron was very likable and charming though.