sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

22 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just got back from Long Shot. Man, it’s a goddamn travesty this hasn’t broken out this weekend. It’s really, really good. 

10 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I guess the current cinema is a mirror of  the needs of societey in the current political environment. People search for heroes in times when they feel like somethings going on.

Not a good time for comedies. 
I hope the moment that people realize, that laughing is the best medicine comes rather sooner than later. 

I think that's the case to a certain extent.

But I also think that Seth Rogen is at the same point of Michael Cera around the time of Scott Pilgrim: not sure it matters how good the film is, how good his performance is, how good the reviews are or even how much he deserves it - audiences have just decided they're kind of done with him.

(Of course far more can be said about Scott Pilgrim but this isn't the place) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

So, assuming a 150M second weekend, Endgame would have a 1.75x multi by Sunday.

Infinity War at that point had a 1.76x multi.

Age of Ultron had a 1.64x multi.  (EG would have a slightly better 2nd weekend drop, and benefited a lot more from spillover than AoU did).

AoU made an additional .76x after its 2nd weekend (for a 2.4x total).  If Endgame does for the rest of its run, it would get a 2.51x multi- 896M.  (in that situation I feel Disney would feel compelled to fudge and get it past 900M lol).  Regardless, it does look like Endgame will hold slightly better than AoU this weekend, so it could do better than that.

They wouldn't have to fudge it, just give it their usual Labor Day Weekend expansion in September.

12 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

But they don't have to, they already have other blockbusters lined up for those years. 

with MCU, Star Wars and Pixar, it's going to be a very, very long time until Disney is wanting for Blockbusters. 

Also, I don't know why Frozen 2 isn't being considered as a blockbuster tentpole as well.

WHAT ???

They are releasing FROZEN 2 this year too ??? OF COURSE that's a slam-dunk blockbuster! Frozen is one of the most successful and culturally impactful movies of the decade! 

SWEET JEEBUS THEY ARE RELEASING THAT TOO THIS YEAR ?????????

3 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

But I also think that Seth Rogen is at the same point of Michael Cera around the time of Scott Pilgrim: not sure it matters how good the film is, how good his performance is, how good the reviews are or even how much he deserves it - audiences have just decided they're kind of done with him.

Yeah, honestly. Longshot could win the Oscar, and I still wouldn't see it.   I don't even hate the guy or think he's awful or anything, I'm just done with him.  Whatever likability quotient he had going for him has long expired, and now, he's just annoying.  There's something really off-putting about his perpetual manchild schtick for me.  Anyway, yeah, I'm just not interested at all in anything he has to offer, even if it is the best thing ever, I'd rather stay home.

Still want to see Endgame again, but couldn't make it this weekend.  I actually know a good number of people who haven't seen it yet and want to.  Hopefully, it will continue to have good legs.  It's very rewatchable. 

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

Let's not forget that Avatar 2 is looming next year.  So holding back TROS is out of the question.

Where are you going to put Frozen II in this scenario?  Mulan has March 2020 already.  One of the Marvel movies has May 2020.  Another Pixar film coming out in June 2020, so that already impedes TS4.

I think the danger here is in diluting the impact of the animated movie sequels/remakes. 

The Avengers and Star Wars franchises are very different from each other and the animated films, so releasing one of each doesn't infringe on the other.

But Lion King, Frozen, Aladdin, and Toy Story are enormously impactful and beloved animated movies. Seems to me that by releasing all four this year, families could suffer "animation classic overdose" (even though some of these are live-action remakes) and thus each might not get the big box office it would if it had the spotlight all to itself, like the remakes/sequels to Finding Nemo, Beauty and the Beast, and The Incredibles did.

Those four movies mentioned above are enormous intellectual property for Disney and IMO releasing all 4 within months of each creates a big dilution danger. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

So, that film is gonna be split-screened in weekend #2 to make way for more Pika and Mother's Day movies...

Over/under Missing Link (which had the spring break week) is probably gonna be the target, which is a shame for STX, but not unexpected...it's too tight to keep this more than 2 weeks...

Edited by TwoMisfits

15 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

WHAT ???

They are releasing FROZEN 2 this year too ??? OF COURSE that's a slam-dunk blockbuster! Frozen is one of the most successful and culturally impactful movies of the decade! 

SWEET JEEBUS THEY ARE RELEASING THAT TOO THIS YEAR ?????????

I don't know whether this is sarcasm or if you truly didn't know that it was being released this year .

20 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

They wouldn't have to fudge it, just give it their usual Labor Day Weekend expansion in September.

I think the labor day expansion is a given at this point. 

It's going to be either the #2 or #1 grossing movie domestically by that point. 

It's the end chapter of a hugely successful Avengers franchise (Phases 1-3). 

That weekend only have Playmobil releasing, so it would likely be able to get back it's IMAX/Dolby screens.

13 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

Yeah, honestly. Longshot could win the Oscar, and I still wouldn't see it.   I don't even hate the guy or think he's awful or anything, I'm just done with him.  Whatever likability quotient he had going for him has long expired, and now, he's just annoying.  There's something really off-putting about his perpetual manchild schtick for me.  Anyway, yeah, I'm just not interested at all in anything he has to offer, even if it is the best thing ever, I'd rather stay home.

Still want to see Endgame again, but couldn't make it this weekend.  I actually know a good number of people who haven't seen it yet and want to.  Hopefully, it will continue to have good legs.  It's very rewatchable. 

I thought Rogan was surprisingly great in Steve Jobs but I also have no desire to see him as a romantic lead or doing the Man Child shtick.  That rarely works for me, which is a problem I'm also having with Pratt.

I need to see Endgame on IMAX, hopefully this week though probably next. 😢

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

I think the labor day expansion is a given at this point. 

It's going to be either the #2 or #1 grossing movie domestically by that point. 

It's the end chapter of a hugely successful Avengers franchise (Phases 1-3). 

That weekend only have Playmobil releasing, so it would likely be able to get back it's IMAX/Dolby screens.

when its labor day ?

Does @MadmenEndgame contribute in any feasible way at this site? The only thing I ever see from him is leaving not cool on everyone's posts. I don't think you understand how the not cool button is supposed to work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Yeah, bit of both.

Comedies are pretty much dead at the box office right now, save the occasional Kevin Hart vehicle. Last year as well, I loved Game Night and Blockers, but, while the legs for GN were good - they both felt like movies that would have done 100+ a few years back.

And with Long Shot, considering the fact that comedies are in a difficult position, the marketing was just terrible. The trailers looked unfunny and Rogen definitely is an audience repellent at the moment. Reviews made me give it a chance and I am soooooo happy I did.

14 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Aladdin but not Frozen 2? 🤨

Look, I made a mistake, I just didn't know that FROZEN FREAKING 2 was on the schedule as well. Of course that qualifies as a massive blockbuster.

But, I don't get the sleeping on Aladdin. Someone else responded here by singling out Aladdin as maybe not belonging in the group i mentioned. Maybe you guys weren't around in 1992, but I was following box office then and Aladdin was an ENORMOUS success, both critically and commercially.

Commercially, Aladdin was the #1 movie of 1992 by a LARGE margin, easily besting highly-anticipated sequels to Batman and Home Alone.  Yes, its nominal DOM box office of $217m appears far less than Frozen's tally of $401m. But adjusted for inflation, Aladdin's number rises to $472m, besting Frozen's $441m. 

Critically, Aladdin was universally praised at the time, and Robin William's voice performance was regarded as groundbreaking. Aladdin won two Academy Awards and was nominated for three others, and this was all against general film competition, as there was at the time no Best Animated Feature category, which it would have won easily. 

And while Frozen's soundtrack is famous and helped that movie move tickets, Aladdin's soundtrack was no slouch. Like the Frozen soundtrack, Aladdin is certified 3x platinum in the USA, and the Aladdin soundtrack won 4 Grammy awards, to one for Frozen.

Point is, Aladdin was successful enough to fully warrant being mentioned with Frozen, Toy Story, Avengers, etc. If the new live-action film fails, it will not be because its predecessor was not as popular or acclaimed as those other films were. It was. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2