sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

11 minutes ago, Clouseau said:

It's interesting how the lead has been lost by a story focussed movie to a technical breakthrough movie and then back again several times.

Compelling and tense Jaws was topped by technical wizardry of Star Wars, then topped by heart-warming E.T., topped by technical breakthrough of Jurassic Park, topped by doomed romance movie of Titanic, topped by technical spectacle of Avatar, perhaps to be topped by character-heavy Avengers Endgame. (Star Wars has a lot of heart, and Titanic and Endgame have a lot of spectacle, but they weren't the movie's main selling point.)

Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Avatar stand out in my memory as the only times when technology leaped ahead to the extent that a movie really showed audiences something they had never seen before, and created a "must-see" event. And it's weird how they are spaced by 16 years.

So Endgame to take the lead, then be topped by a technological breakthrough movie in 2025. Can't wait! 

Titanic was also a technical achievement, though not to the same extent as the other films you listed

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Titanic was also a technical achievement, though not to the same extent as the other films you listed

Titanic’s effects were used to serve the story, like that famous George Lucas quote. Also, they are not meant to call intention to themselves as effects. Even Star Wars and Jurassic Park had scenes where the effects were clearly the “star” of the shot, but in Titanic it all blends in. You know that real X-wings and dinosaurs can’t be put in front of a camera, but everything in Titanic is meant to look like it’s filmed on location.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Clouseau said:

It's interesting how the lead has been lost by a story focussed movie to a technical breakthrough movie and then back again several times.

Compelling and tense Jaws was topped by technical wizardry of Star Wars, then topped by heart-warming E.T., topped by technical breakthrough of Jurassic Park, topped by doomed romance movie of Titanic, topped by technical spectacle of Avatar, perhaps to be topped by character-heavy Avengers Endgame. (Star Wars has a lot of heart, and Titanic and Endgame have a lot of spectacle, but they weren't the movie's main selling point.)

Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Avatar stand out in my memory as the only times when technology leaped ahead to the extent that a movie really showed audiences something they had never seen before, and created a "must-see" event. And it's weird how they are spaced by 16 years.

So Endgame to take the lead, then be topped by a technological breakthrough movie in 2025. Can't wait! 

E.T. being in that list full of epic scale spectacles is so cool especially when u think about how most of the movie takes place in a small house lol

It's such a universally touching story

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Yes, it was an achievement effects-wise, but really only incrementally better than what had come before, nothing as completely new and revolutionary as photo-real dinosaurs or a convincing immersive 3D environment. I think audiences were driven to Titanic more by the story and drama than the undeniable spectacle.

Like TitanicEndgame has brilliantly executed effects, but it's really nothing we aren't used to (Thanos being the stand-out achievement effects-wise), and it's certainly not what's pulling such huge numbers of people to the cinema. The story and characters are driving this juggernaut, which is really quite pleasing. Although I'm happy to see the next technological revolution when it comes along.

Anyway.....

I noticed earlier on Box Office Mojo that the adjusted ticket prices for last year are actually higher than prices this year. Endgame has to perform 1% better just to match Infinity War😁

This list hasn't been updated but disney 2019 passed a billion on Monday April 29th, 119 days:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fasteststudios.htm

FASTEST STUDIOS TO $1 BILLION
IN A GIVEN YEAR

Rank Studio Year Days to
$1 billion
Date
Achieved
1 Buena Vista 2018 117 4/27/18
2 Buena Vista 2016 128 5/7/16
3 Buena Vista 2017 146 5/26/17
4 Universal 2015 165 6/14/15
5 Buena Vista 2015 174 6/23/15
6 Paramount 2008 174 6/22/08
7 Paramount 2010 175 6/24/10
8 Warner Bros. 2015 177 6/26/15
9 20th Century Fox 2010 179 6/28/10
10 Universal 2017 182 7/1/17

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

By what percentage are we anticipating EG to surpass Avatar WW?

Title Year Gross %
Avatar 2009 $2,787,965,087 51.3%
Titanic 1997 $1,843,201,268 101.5%
Jurassic Park 1993 $914,691,118 26.3%
E.T. 1982 $724,304,427 39.7%
Star Wars 1977 $518,492,133 10.2%
Jaws 1975 $470,653,000  

Gosh, Titanic was such a fucking beast. 

Do we know if any sequel has ever been #1? Hard to imagine that would be possible in a pre-Jaws world. 

1 minute ago, Clouseau said:

Yes, it was an achievement effects-wise, but really only incrementally better than what had come before, nothing as completely new and revolutionary as photo-real dinosaurs or a convincing immersive 3D environment. I think audiences were driven to Titanic more by the story and drama than the undeniable spectacle.

Like TitanicEndgame has brilliantly executed effects, but it's really nothing we aren't used to (Thanos being the stand-out achievement effects-wise), and it's certainly not what's pulling such huge numbers of people to the cinema. The story and characters are driving this juggernaut, which is really quite pleasing. Although I'm happy to see the next technological revolution when it comes along.

Anyway.....

I noticed earlier on Box Office Mojo that the adjusted ticket prices for last year are actually higher than prices this year. Endgame has to perform 1% better just to match Infinity War😁

This quarter will bump the average up. The first quarter usually has the lowest average because fewer big films with pricier tickets do business.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Titanic’s CGI was very low-key. It wasn’t in your face. Most of it was to extend the ship past the full-scale replica, add in ocean and skies, etc., right? In fact didn’t the movie have a lot of model work too?

Titanic was the best of both worlds, it has the romantic sub plot to appeal to one demographic and the sinking which attracts another. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Titanic was the best of both worlds, it has the romantic sub plot to appeal to one demographic and the sinking which attracts another. 

I remember that the sinking really looked like it was happening for real, at least for 1997. Again, I think it used lots of models and full-scale sets.

Edited by TServo2049

4 minutes ago, MattW said:

This list hasn't been updated but disney 2019 passed a billion on Monday April 29th, 119 days:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fasteststudios.htm

FASTEST STUDIOS TO $1 BILLION
IN A GIVEN YEAR

Rank Studio Year Days to
$1 billion
Date
Achieved
1 Buena Vista 2018 117 4/27/18
2 Buena Vista 2016 128 5/7/16
3 Buena Vista 2017 146 5/26/17
4 Universal 2015 165 6/14/15
5 Buena Vista 2015 174 6/23/15
6 Paramount 2008 174 6/22/08
7 Paramount 2010 175 6/24/10
8 Warner Bros. 2015 177 6/26/15
9 20th Century Fox 2010 179 6/28/10
10 Universal 2017 182 7/1/17

It's weird that WB got to $1bn  in 2015 so quickly the only films that was a huge success for them that year were American Sniper, Mad Max and San Andreas and only the first one broke $300m domestically

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

I remember that the sinking really looked like it was happening for real. Again, it used lots of models and full-scale sets.

The sinking I believe was what caused the budget to balloon due to people getting ill and general filming overrunning. 

The love story in Titanic was basic but carried by strong performances. The real star of the show for Titanic was the recreation of the ship (and the flashy sinking sequence, of course).

Edited by stealthyfrog

I’m watching behind the scenes stuff right now. There really are plenty of “invisible” effects shots in that movie. You’d have no idea that the underwater shots of the wreck are only partially the famous footage they shot of the real ship, and the rest are miniatures, filmed dry with lots of smoke and filters, and intercut with the real stuff.

For the most part, Titanic is one of those films like Blade Runner or ID4 (or Endgame, now that I think about it) that didn’t necessarily pioneer new VFX techniques, so much as take what was already available and use it really really well.

We all marveled at stuff like the White House blowing up or the Titanic breaking in two, but those were just tried-and-true miniature shots executed flawlessly. I’d give some examples of “not innovative, just damn good” VFX from Endgame but they’d go into spoiler territory.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Do we know if any sequel has ever been #1? Hard to imagine that would be possible in a pre-Jaws world. 

A sequel has never been an all time record holder.