sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I think the labor day expansion is a given at this point. 

It's going to be either the #2 or #1 grossing movie domestically by that point. 

It's the end chapter of a hugely successful Avengers franchise (Phases 1-3). 

That weekend only have Playmobil releasing, so it would likely be able to get back it's IMAX/Dolby screens.

Or Disney will put it out on BR and streaming 2-3 weeks before LD as they did with AIW, which was annoying.

31 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i would say that it will play closer to iw than aou for the rest of its run

Very possible, I was just going with a pessimistic scenario to show that the floor for this is still really damn high.

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

I think the labor day expansion is a given at this point. 

It's going to be either the #2 or #1 grossing movie domestically by that point. 

It's the end chapter of a hugely successful Avengers franchise (Phases 1-3). 

That weekend only have Playmobil releasing, so it would likely be able to get back it's IMAX/Dolby screens.

Wait... That's a thing?!

It is a shame to see how comedies just don't make money like they used to. But then there's a number of different factors at play, including a changing environment. We're coming up on the 10th anniversary of The Hangover and even that movie feels like something that studios wouldn't give the greenlight to today because there's really no place for a "men behaving badly" comedy in today's climate.

For those of you people who are not going to see a long shot because of some rudimentary dislike towards Seth Rogen, you're really missing out on one amazing God damn film. I've seen it twice already and I plan on going to see it on 3rd. It's just as funny as this is the end and it's got some incredibly audacious hilarious moments in it. It's also an old school 90s rom-com.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

I'm gonna cathch hell for this, but i don't think the problem with Long Shot is Rogen. Charlize is not exactly the warmest person for comedy. She comes off very unlikeable. Just a perception. Don't shoot me

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 Star Wars films have won the year domestically: 

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

The Last Jedi

3 MCU films have won the year domestically: 

Avengers

Black Panther

Endgame

Odd, considering the MCU has made so much more money.

Just now, Chaz said:

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

The Last Jedi

Avengers

Black Panther

Endgame

MCU is more of an international player

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Or Disney will put it out on BR and streaming 2-3 weeks before LD as they did with AIW, which was annoying.

I think this time around though they are going to wait for it to coincide with the release of Disney+, their new streaming service. 

What better way to kick of their service than to have one of the largest films ever streaming exclusively on the service. 

The service is scheduled for a November 2019 release.

I could be wrong, but it makes the most sense for them to do this.  

44 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I guess the current cinema is a mirror of  the needs of societey in the current political environment. People search for heroes in times when they feel like somethings going on.

Not a good time for comedies. 
I hope the moment that people realize, that laughing is the best medicine comes rather sooner than later. 

I’m not even sure it’s that. Lionsgate can’t have done a good enough job marketing the movie they had on their hands.  Getting the word and the buzz going. 

Word of mouth will be great but it’s hard to believe when you’ve seen it that it hasn’t opened to at least $25 million. It’s an absolutely barnstorming mainstream crowd pleaser. Real shame. 

• Like 2

Just now, Alli said:

I'm gonna cathch hell for this, but i don't think the problem with Long Shot is Rogen. Charlize is not exactly the warmest person for comedy. She comes off very unlikeable. Just a perception. Don't shoot me

Which is perfect casting for the role...

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Image result for facepalm gif

2 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

The Last Jedi

Avengers

Black Panther

Endgame

Well the Star Wars film started in 1977 while the MCU films started in 2008.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

For those of you people who are not going to see a long shot because of some rudimentary dislike towards Seth Rogen, you're really missing out on one amazing God damn film. I've seen it twice already and I plan on going to see it on 3rd. It's just as funny as this is the end and it's got some incredibly audacious hilarious moments in it. It's also an old school 90s rom-com.

Delight from start to finish. 

Both of them are tremendous in it too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

I think this time around though they are going to wait for it to coincide with the release of Disney+, their new streaming service. 

What better way to kick of their service than to have one of the largest films ever streaming exclusively on the service. 

The service is scheduled for a November 2019 release.

I could be wrong, but it makes the most sense for them to do this.  

Nah that would massively cut into their BR and Download revenues.   It's enough that it will become an exclusive on their service come November.

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

Well the Star Wars film started in 1977 while the MCU films started in 2008.

Also one of those years where MCU topped domestically, it also had the second top film.

• Like 1