sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lionsgate once again shows why they will be out of business in 4-5 years.

just wait for couple weeks time for John Wick to outgross Endgame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

It would've been nearly impossible to open anything this weekend but Long Shot's marketing was atrocious.

Curious to see how The Hustle fares next weekend. On paper it should at least be opening to similar numbers as Snatched two years ago on Mother's Day weekend but the marketing does feel really quiet despite the presence of Hathaway and Wilson (who enjoyed a mid-level performer on her own earlier this year).

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

Does @MadmenEndgame contribute in any feasible way at this site? The only thing I ever see from him is leaving not cool on everyone's posts. I don't think you understand how the not cool button is supposed to work.

Shivampa/Manhunt/Matthew/MadmenEndgame -(02/21/19)- Permanently Banned  for trolling multiple threads and creating a duplicate account. 

MadmenEndgame aka Shivampa...

I think there are still at least 2 others active here that are banned members with a 'new' name.

Banned ony means no posts anymore, reactions still work

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

just wait for couple weeks time for John Wick to outgross Endgame.

John Wick would have crossed the 100M DOM in the hands of any other distributor with his 2nd movie.

6 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

Well last year neither Black Panther nor Infinity War got it, and they were No 1 and 2 respectively. Instead it went to Incredibles 2.  So it could easily just go to Toy Story 4 or The Lion King or they may not expand any.

Black Panther was released in February, so there is no way it could have gotten it. 

It was released on DVD for month by that point. 

There are also two reasons why IW didn't get it. 

Disney wanted to push I2 over 600 million, and IW was released earlier than usual on DVD.

This year, the DVD/Streaming release will likely coincide with Disney + in November, and TLK will probably not need the same push as I2 did last year.

14 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Labor Day is the first Monday of September every year. 

Last year Disney chose to re-release I2 on that date to get it above the 600 million mark, and it worked. 

Prior to labor day, it was at 597 total after a 1.6 million weekend. 

They increased the theatre count by +1830 the next weekend to 2890 total and grossed 4.7 million. It made roughly 11 million thanks to it's labor day expansion.

It would still have made to 600m without the expansion. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Curious to see how The Hustle fares next weekend. On paper it should at least be opening to similar numbers as Snatched two years ago on Mother's Day weekend but the marketing does feel really quiet despite the presence of Hathaway and Wilson (who enjoyed a mid-level performer on her own earlier this year).

I haven't seen the trailer for The Hustle even once. I mean, maybe it's just bad luck, but... I do go to the cinema often, and you'd think even by sheer dumb luck. And I do watch comedies and comedy trailers, so I'd expect at least a target ad on youtube or something...

Just now, CJohn said:

John Wick would have crossed the 100M DOM in the hands of any other distributor with his 2nd movie.

nah i don't think so, somewhat niche audience. It had a good opening and held well, no complaints from me BO-wise. I think 3 might reach 100M though.

20 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Delight from start to finish. 

Both of them are tremendous in it too. 

There's a very real possibility for me at least that the two best films of the year came out a week apart from each other. End Game was obviously tremendous and longshot is definitely going to make my top five for the year.

• Like 1

Just now, tawasal said:

It would still have made to 600m without the expansion. 

Perhaps, but not guaranteed at all. 

It grossed 1.6 million the weekend before from 1060 theaters.

Without the expansion it would have continued to shed theatres, and would probably have only played in 700 - 800 for LD weekend. 

Again, perhaps it would have, but it wasn't guaranteed. 

And Disney was not taking that chance. 

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This is true. Good received action movies tend to do great. And Keanu is a star ffs.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

nah i don't think so, somewhat niche audience. It had a good opening and held well, no complaints from me BO-wise. I think 3 might reach 100M though.

The movie did well despite of Lionsgate, not because of it.

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The Intruder $11m 

2,222 cinemas $4,950 PTA

27% on Rotten Tomatoes

Long Shot $10m 

3,230 cinemas $3,103 PTA

83% on Rotten Tomatoes 

Audiences flat out ignored critics this weekend. 

Aehm, I think the audience watching a horror movie is more used to ignore RT than the general audience.

Way different genres IMHO (not saying they exclude each other totally, more like used to ignore for horror, might look for other genre for the part of audience that does like both genres, and more split up for audience that prefers one genre strongly over the other, and all in between...) Hope its still clear what I mean

• Like 1