sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Congrats to End Game for passing Titanic,  End Game is a great movie and deserves accolades.   On inflation,  it's not discussed much anymore.  In the grand scheme what Titanic did is far more impressive obviously but I'm not sure most people even understand what inflation is.   Education in this country is at an all-time low.  We are in a meme culture,  you can throw out sensible discourse. 

Looks like TFA will still reign supreme domestically. 

People know what inflation is - it affects their money.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

EG grossing more on Sunday this weekend than on Friday seems dubious to me. The 9 PM and later shows today are only going to do a small fraction of the business done on Friday. The AMC near me has 7 showings tonight at 9:00 PM or later (including an IMAX showing) and a total of 9 tickets have been sold so far across all 7 shows. The slight uptick in morning and early afternoon shows won't be able to overcome the loss of higher priced tickets at night. I suppose Sunday might be a couple hundred thousand above Friday if early afternoons today are super strong; but I just don't see Sunday outgrossing Friday by $3M. 

The morning and afternoon shows are more heavily attended than on Friday.   AEG's packed from morning to night first Friday was an exception and even then Sat did more. This Friday wasn't nearly as filled as Sat or Sunday.   Looking at my local - they are all 90%+ filled until at least 6-7pm and it's bit early for walk ups for tonight

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

yes, I think no adult having to buy groceries... for a few years and such will have missed what inflation is.

To me your post was - again - a swipe at people seemingly presumed less educated like yourself or whatever reason you else have why you like to include swipes.

If inflation was a bigger topic when discussing box office success,  maybe I would agree with your take but inflation being otherwise absent from box office discourse points to it being a topic that a lot of folks are uncomfortable with.  

I'm not throwing water on End Game,  I really liked End Game..  I am simply covering all the bases when we discuss "legendary runs" at the box office. 

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The morning and afternoon shows are more heavily attended than on Friday.   AEG's packed from morning to night first Friday was an exception and even then Sat did more. This Friday wasn't nearly as filled as Sat or Sunday.   Looking at my local - they are all 90%+ filled until at least 6-7pm and it's bit early for walk ups for tonight

This.

4 minutes ago, Aurora said:

If it's any consolation, Titanic made 600M domestic and 1.24B overseas in 1997/1998 (and before 2012 re-release, no premium formats to help bolster everything) and I believe it made more then double the previous record holder (Jurassic Park).

While records will be beaten and numbers will keep getting bigger, To me Titanic's numbers are way more impressive then the numbers that Avatar and Endgame made.

It's no Gone With The Wind though is it.  Try making those admission numbers during the start of WWII with a fraction of the O/S market we have today - and about 1/3rd the US population.  :rock:

• Like 5

People defending the artistic and financial... honor?... of Cameron films have some valid points. 

Still, the desire to talk about educational levels and prostitution (!) is silly. 

I hope Endgame gets all the records. Whatever totals it ends up with won’t drive me to broad societal critiques. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moviefanatic said:

Guessing Endgame will finish close to 900 million. Force Awakens should be safe domestically. It’s going to start to making up massive ground this upcoming week and weekend 

maybe not exaclty safe, at least not yet its gonna be close

44 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

22 years ago before the release, Titanic had nothing, no 11 years of build up or nostalgic feeling, no fan base from any previous source material. 

What it got was all the negative press due to its historical budget and risk-taking production set.    

Against  all doubt and odd, titanic went on to become to biggest commercial success in modern cinematic history plus another record breaking 11 oscar win . No one can pull off such a standalone success like Titanic.

Thanks to its unprecedented word of mouth, movie itself aged so well despite the backlash from all the emotionless rube cyborg. 

Titanic will be remembered as the better film than EG and avatar. Period.    

tenor.gif?itemid=12206278

10 years of romantic films ruling the 90s - Hallmark Titanic would have NEVER smashed like it did in 2019. End Game had loads of competition from other blockbusters and streaming services. You are also acting as if building up a 22-arch movie storyline makes the gross less impressive. Which is completely ridiculous since the universe itself is the biggest achievement in movie history. No one else has done it. End Game will always remain superior to anything James Cameroon has done. 

Edited by HeadShot
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 2

The 2nd weekend is impressive of course. I had hoped it was gonna reach 170+ so that it could beat TFA. But fuck it. As long as Blue Pocahontas goes down I'll be happy. Local Wars The force awakens can keep it's December inflated domestic gross. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Up your troll game, it’s really weak.

What in the world are you talking about?  So in your mind,  inflation is just a topic that should be completely ignored when discussing box office runs over time? 

• Knock It Off 6

Acting as if people had nothing better to do in 1997 than go to the movies lmao. Toontanic would have bombed in the age of Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, Competing blockbusters, Twitch,  Advanced online gaming etc. 

• ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's no Gone With The Wind though is it.  Try making those admission numbers during the start of WWII with a fraction of the O/S market we have today - and about 1/3rd the US population.  :rock:

It didn’t, though. It did really well, but those estimated 200 million tickets sold added up over multiple re-releases. The 1967 re-release in particular doesn’t get enough credit - it outgrossed everything that year except The Graduate. (And that beautiful lush romance-novel poster everyone knows? That’s from 1967.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

tenor.gif?itemid=12206278

10 years of the romantic films ruling the 90s - Hallmark Titanic would have NEVER smashed like it did in 2019. End Game had loads of competition from other blockbusters and streaming services. You are also acting as if building up a 22-arch movie storyline makes the gross less impressive. Which is completely ridiculous since the universe itself is the biggest achievement in movie history. No one else has done it. End Game will always remain superior to anything James Cameroon has done. 

If end game can make 3b without 22 movies before it and 11 years of build up , then i will agree. 

SW, ET, Jurassic Park, jaws were all once all time champion, and they are not romance, in fact Gone with the wind and Titanic are the only romance to take over the top 1 crown. And what the hell with romantic films ruling 90s? Are you inert to all the terminator, independence day, Jurassic park, Men in black etc craziness,    

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1