sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

4 minutes ago, Ent said:

Just like all those directors didn't need to have a standalone critical and commercial success after their breakthrough movie, to validate that particuliar success at the time, the Russo Brothers don't need to do it just to prove they earn the current success. 

All those directors did prove their critical and commerical success after and before their breakthrough movies though. And none of those directors made a film that was part of an already popular IP except for maybe Nolan and the Batman movies but it can be debated that he made Batman popular again (as shown by the growth from Batman Begins to TDK). James Cameron was still able to make huge commercial and critical successes with new IP after Aliens (his breakthrough movie and a movie from an already popular IP) and The Coen Brothers still were able to get nominated for 21 Academy Awards outside of their nominations for Fargo.

• Like 2

Sad that we can't discuss box office without people unabashedly flying to the defense of a movie that I have only said great things about.  End Game is a great movie,  hello.. there are other topics to discuss.  I saw End Game the 2nd day it was out,  it was a great time..  what else needs to be said. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What in the world are you talking about?  So in your mind,  inflation is just a topic that should be completely ignored when discussing box office runs over time? 

Inflation and exchange rates should be paired together in discussion. But not important to discuss it. What matters were the actual $$ that the studios received during the run of the movie. No sense discussing figures that the studios might hypothetically receive because of inflation and ER adjustments. Because they will never receive the adjusted figure no matter how much you adjust it.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

It didn’t, though. It made it over consecutive re-releases. I think the 1967 re-release outgrossed everything that year except The Graduate.

Yes though where it made most of it's money were early re-releases which were about a week apart.   They only had so many prints so it couldn't stay in cities that long, so the early re-releases were basically circling around back to meet demand for years. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ent said:

Just like all those directors didn't need to have a standalone critical and commercial success after their breakthrough movie, to validate that particuliar success at the time, the Russo Brothers don't need to do it just to prove they earn the current success. 

They earned that success whatever happen next and anyone implying the contrary just try to discredit their current success and belittle it..

Plus, I am not aware that their aim was to follow any other director foostep that their own path just to validate and give credit to their current success with the MCU.

They have their moment I give you that , but they need more to be in the line up of legendary director.

Before... MCU is trite, tv-level material with no lasting value.  AOU shows that it will fade away. Avengers can’t be topped. GA won’t join in now. 

After... MCU has a huge advantage because of the years of buildup. 

Avatar and Titanic have done incredible things. If you love those movies, you don’t need any permission to do so. Please don’t act like the guy at the barber who wants to talk about Rocky Marciano. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If end game can make 3b without 22 movies before it and 11 years of build up , then i will agree. 

Yeah, but Titanic had 85 years of build up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 15
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Inflation and exchange rates should be paired together in discussion. But not important to discuss it. What matters were the actual $$ that the studios received during the run of the movie. No sense discussing figures that the studios might hypothetically receive because of inflation and ER adjustments.

It's not hypothetically..   they are real numbers for what they are meant to be,  it's not someone's guess. Well,  so you want to be dismissive of it okay that's fair,  do you. 

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If end game can make 3b without 22 movies before it and 11 years of build up , then i will agree. 

SW, ET, Jurassic Park, jaws were all once all time champion, and they are not romance, in fact Gone with the wind and Titanic are the only romance to take over the top 1 crown. And what the hell with romantic films ruling 90s? Are you inert to all the terminator, independence day, Jurassic park, Men in black etc craziness,    

The fact that End Game is making around 3b WITH 21 prequels is what's impressive. No one has ever done it and managed to build the hype in such a short period of time. 

Romantic movies were still massive in the 90s. They peaked back then. Don't make me list them - cause I will. Titanic would have never taken off in 2019. End Game had more competition and the fact that it's grossing these number in Spring/Summer is insane. 

Endgame is a different type of impressive from the other number 1 spot holders (if it makes it). Every other number 1 spot holder has come out of nowhere, and was a completely original film that became a phenomenon, generally they've spawned franchises, but they were original films. If Endgame makes it, it will be the first that didn't really come out of nowhere, and I think that's equally impressive. To make a franchise big enough that it gets the first franchise film in history to be the top grosser of all time without it breaking out and having ridiculous staying power, just simply because of the franchise it was apart of, it certainly is a different type of impressive from the others, but it is just as impressive.

People seem to be acting like, because Endgame is making this much because of its franchise, it is therefore less impressive. But I just think it is different, but equally as impressive. (of course it still is a chance to not beat avatar, but hopefully you get my point).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's not hypothetically..   they are real numbers for what they are meant to be,  it's not someone's guess. Well,  so you want to be dismissive of it okay that's fair,  do you. 

I said 'hypothetically receive'. Please read it carefully. Why hypothetically? Because the studios will never receive the adjusted figures. What the studios received were the actual non-adjusted figures during the movies' run.