sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

If James Cameron, or anybody else for that matter, can make 22 movies that will culminate in superevent shattering records left and right, then please - be my guest. It's unprecedented entertainment marvel that Feige & co pulled this off and each and every person contributing to this should be applauded for their efforts

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes though where it made most of it's money were early re-releases which were about a week apart.   They only had so many prints so it couldn't stay in cities that long, so the early re-releases were basically circling around back to meet demand for years. 

I’m reading a book about the history of re-releases, so I’ll get back to you on that.

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

The fact that End Game is making around 3b WITH 21 prequels is what's impressive. No one has ever done it and managed to build the hype in such a short period of time. 

Romantic movies were still massive in the 90s. They peaked back then. Don't make me list them - cause I will. Titanic would have never taken off in 2019. End Game had more competition and the fact that it's grossing these number in Spring/Summer is insane. 

Competition , streaming, blah blah blah.....

If those factor are really that strong like you have proclaimed, then shouldn't be the all time box office chart filled with the film from 70s,or 80s? No competition right? then why none of them managed to stay in the top 30 all time box office chart?   

The fact is the chart today is overwhelmingly dominated by 2010s film, suggest that many of you just exaggerated the  streaming or competition factor especially in the space of visual-oriented blockbuster.  

• Knock It Off 1

31 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

22 years ago before the release, Titanic had nothing, no 11 years of build up or nostalgic feeling, no fan base from any previous source material. 

It's not really true that Titanic came out of nothing. I know that these days kids grow up not realising that the sinking of the Titanic was an actual historical event, but back in the 90s people knew exactly what it was all about; in today's language the "brand identity" (or somesuch buzzword) was enormous.

It was no automatic pass to success, but the awareness that the movie would be a dramatisation of a massive real-life disaster was near universal. The events hadn't quite slipped from the "within living memory" bracket, and many people would certainly recall late grandparents having told them of hearing news come through of the disaster. There was a sense of nostalgia for history that had touched you secondhand, that was about to slip away from memory entirely.

Plus the adult audience of the 90s was a generation which was well familiar with "the disaster movie" as a hugely appealing genre (when done properly) in the same way that the superhero movie is today. 

Cameron's Titanic was a huge achievement, yet is the Russo's Endgame success, against the backdrop of enormous home entertainment competition, potential franchise fatigue after 21 previous movies in only a decade, and the lure of knowing an Endgame HD disc will be out in only three months, any the less of an achievement?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

If those factor are really that strong like you have proclaimed, then shouldn't be the all time box office chart filled with the film from 70s,or 80s? No competition right? then why none of them managed to stay in the top 30 all time box office chart?   

The fact is the chart today is overwhelmingly dominated by 2010s film, suggest that many of you just exaggerated the  streaming or competition factor especially in the space of visual-oriented blockbuster.  

OMFG STOP WHINING ALL OF YOU

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What in the world are you talking about?  So in your mind,  inflation is just a topic that should be completely ignored when discussing box office runs over time? 

Youre funny. Cameron-Stans are going to use the whole inflation argument to ‘defend’ Endgame annihilating it at the box office. Endgame is going to hit the top 10-15 all time adjusted for inflation, in an era where there is a lot more piracy, a lot more competition, and in an era of movies coming quicker to streaming services. 

Different times HAS to be taken into consideration. Not just inflation. Growing up in the 90’s, movie industry was so much more different than now!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Only $700k missing for OS $700m (someone asked if it will 'even' reach $700m early into the weekendthread or was it in OS or..?)

Highly doubting it will miss it 😉

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $420,768,018    37.6%
Foreign:  $699,300,000    62.4%

Worldwide:  $1,120,068,018  

19 minutes ago, tawasal said:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $420,768,018    37.6%
Foreign:  $699,300,000    62.4%

Worldwide:  $1,120,068,018

Just passed Return of the King. And it's so close to 700m overseas. 

Like minded.... 😉

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

If inflation was a bigger topic when discussing box office success,  maybe I would agree with your take but inflation being otherwise absent from box office discourse points to it being a topic that a lot of folks are uncomfortable with.  

I'm not throwing water on End Game,  I really liked End Game..  I am simply covering all the bases when we discuss "legendary runs" at the box office. 

I do not even really like A EG (6.5/10, and feeling quite disappointed by it), so please stop again to assume

Inflation absent...

1. it got written about esp in connection with certain movies already so often, it reached torture status to me per repeat (drop drop drop water outlet thingie is relaxation in comparison)

2. too many mis-use especially those to derail again a thread not meant for that (see to do that in the fan wars thread), people 'staying quite' do this for either following actually the rules or also for getting or gotten already fed up about that theme

3. If people do not want to do that there, means they do not react to 'invitations' to do so e.g. in the fan war threads,... maybe there is a reason for that too?

Like being aware, but simply have no interest to again discuss it or not share  the POV of what weights more, if including a lot of others markers?

4. The wording was still a swipe and an 'assumption' based on your POV how much people 'have' to do something to be considered as educated or... (even me not an US citizen, know how wrong that was).

Bcs.... if you start to bring in inflation, then you have to bring in a lot of other details too. And for that we even have several other threads, see inflation / admission thread that include GWtW and HV and so on too

It does not belong in the dailies, where people like myself, that want simply see the dailies and the actual situation for now, can go without having either to scroll through endless pages or having to add a lot of people on the ignore list or to stay away to not loose the fun on BO for the details they are following BO.

= the group I am belonging to and one of the reasons I stay away from tome to time here for months at a time (plus working for projects that can be quote time-consuming).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Before... MCU is trite, tv-level material with no lasting value.  AOU shows that it will fade away. Avengers can’t be topped. GA won’t join in now. 

After... MCU has a huge advantage because of the years of buildup. 

Avatar and Titanic have done incredible things. If you love those movies, you don’t need any permission to do so. Please don’t act like the guy at the barber who wants to talk about Rocky Marciano. 

Lol yeah I remember people acting like Avengers 1 was the peak and MCU would never top it. Civil War was apparently proof of that. And now suddenly End Game is doing so well cause it has 21 prequels. The way their story keeps changing to fit their busted narrative.  :hahaha:

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sure, it beat Titanic (in 2 weeks, an amazing feat) but we can’t sell titanic short as “a movie endgame could beat in 10 days”. The thing came out 22 years ago with inflation sending it to a level Endgame will not reach.

Both films had/have spectacular runs going for them. Just goes to show that every box office record will eventually fall due to inflation.

The same with Titanic overtaking ET after 15 years and A New Hope After 20 years. Inflation. 

• Like 1

Well, Titanic will always be Titanic, a legend among legends of historical box office runs.

It achieve the ultimate triple crown (Domestic crown, global crown and Oscar best picture) in a spectacular fashion that likely won't ever be repeated again.

So on the historic day which Titanic has been surpassed by the first non-Cameron film:

Let's remember, not for the sake of fan wars, but for the greatness of Titanic:

- 1.84B in 1997, double previous all time worldwide box office record set by Jurassic Park in 1993

- 600M domestic (all time domestic record, held on to it for 12 years), still to this day, the highest domestic admission during a film's first run

- When Titanic was released in 1997, it tripled the second highest grossing film of the year (The Lost World, Jurassic Park)

- First ever Billion dollar film in the world (it almost got to 2B when no film got to 1B)

- 1.2B+ overseas in 1997, in a world where overseas developing markets are mostly tiny

- it's 3D re-run in 2012 was the second highest grossing film in China of that year

-Titanic remained the highest grossing film in China from 1998-2009, despite the rapid expansion of that market

Titanic, the most impressive global run of a film ever.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I said 'hypothetically receive'. Please read it carefully. Why hypothetically? Because the studios will never receive the adjusted figures. What the studios received were the actual non-adjusted figures during the movies' run.

They don't need to receive the adjusted figures,  if they received their profits and just threw them in an account and left them there for 20 years they'd have a lot more now than they would then. :lol:

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Yes they are strong factors. Cinema is dying - thats an actual fact. And the reason why we don't see movies from the 70s and 80s is because of inflation . I thought that was clear LOL 

If you adjusted Titanic with everything, inflation, 3D, I max and emerging markets, it would be today close to a 4B WW grosser.

Thats how much of a freak of nature it was, it is the Godwin point of box office discussion.

There is Titanic and

the rest.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Avatar and Titanic have done incredible things. If you love those movies, you don’t need any permission to do so. Please don’t act like the guy at the barber who wants to talk about Rocky Marciano. 

I understood that Coming to America reference.

Yeah, that scene is this thread right now.

10 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

If James Cameron, or anybody else for that matter, can make 22 movies that will culminate in superevent shattering records left and right, then please - be my guest. It's unprecedented entertainment marvel that Feige & co pulled this off and each and every person contributing to this should be applauded for their efforts

Basically this. End Game is an event on it's own. But the entire MCU is LEGENDARY. It's never been done before. Also let's not forget that it features Black Panther - a movie that will be more remembered than any James Cameroon movie. 

• Haha 3

Since I’m sure the last several pages is just people arguing and then other people arguing over how to argue, can I get End Game Friday, Saturday and Sunday? BOM is updating. 

Just now, The Futurist said:

If you adjusted Titanic with everything, inflation, 3D, I max and emerging markets, it would be today close to a 4B WW grosser.

Even higher, 4B is probably the market ceiling today for a single film worldwide, Titanic taught the market that it should believe itself to not have a ceiling.