sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

Just now, The Futurist said:

Good Luck to the Little Lion next July tho.

The one thing to unite the divided fandoms is a common enemy. Live-action remakes of animated classics.

Disney is maintaining harmony with them - that's why they'll keep doing them.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Clouseau said:

It's not really true that Titanic came out of nothing. I know that these days kids grow up not realising that the sinking of the Titanic was an actual historical event, but back in the 90s people knew exactly what it was all about; in today's language the "brand identity" (or somesuch buzzword) was enormous.

It was no automatic pass to success, but the awareness that the movie would be a dramatisation of a massive real-life disaster was near universal. The events hadn't quite slipped from the "within living memory" bracket, and many people would certainly recall late grandparents having told them of hearing news come through of the disaster. There was a sense of nostalgia for history that had touched you secondhand, that was about to slip away from memory entirely.

Plus the adult audience of the 90s was a generation which was well familiar with "the disaster movie" as a hugely appealing genre (when done properly) in the same way that the superhero movie is today. 

Cameron's Titanic was a huge achievement, yet is the Russo's Endgame success, against the backdrop of enormous home entertainment competition, potential franchise fatigue after 21 previous movies in only a decade, and the lure of knowing an Endgame HD disc will be out in only three months, any the less of an achievement?

Bingo. 

Titanic was a huge part of cultural lore.  Expeditions to look for it ranged decades and when it was discovered in the 80s it was a huge media sensation.

Several movies have been made about the Titanic (Hitchcock's plans were thwarted by WWII.  The best one is 1958's A Night To Remember)  and more have referenced it or used it as part of film or tv.

In 1997, Titanic debuted on Broadway (no relation to the film)  and went on to win 5 Tony's including Best Musical.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Sad just because Endgame broke records of Titanic doesn't make Titanic any less of epic... Also you don't have to be butthurt and say Titanic is better than Endgame... Both movies are awesome..  And lastly please stop your concern trolling... @Johnny Tran @titanic2187

How is a comparison of two movies concern trolling and how is an opinion "movie A is better than movie B" an example of someone being "butthurt".  Titanic won Best Picture and here you are to say it's ridiculous that someone would feel it's a better made film lol 

• Like 1

@Nova for some reasons I seem to have problems editing my post

A EG

Weekend Box Office Performance

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
Apr 26, 2019 1 $357,115,007   4,662 $76,601   $357,115,007 1
May 3, 2019 1 $145,804,000 -59% 4,662 $31,275   $619,698,638 2

Daily Box Office Performance

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Apr 26, 2019 1 $157,461,641   4,662 $33,776   $157,461,641 1
Apr 27, 2019 1 $109,264,122 -31% 4,662 $23,437   $266,725,763 2
Apr 28, 2019 1 $90,389,244 -17% 4,662 $19,389   $357,115,007 3
Apr 29, 2019 1 $36,874,439 -59% 4,662 $7,910   $393,989,446 4
Apr 30, 2019 1 $33,110,349 -10% 4,662 $7,102   $427,099,795 5
May 1, 2019 1 $25,251,991 -24% 4,662 $5,417   $452,351,786 6
May 2, 2019 1 $21,542,852 -15% 4,662 $4,621   $473,894,638 7
May 3, 2019 1 $40,637,000 +89% 4,662 $8,717   $514,531,638 8
May 4, 2019 1 $61,426,000 +51% 4,662 $13,176   $575,957,638 9
May 5, 2019 1 $43,741,000 -29% 4,662 $9,382   $619,698,638 10
  • Thanks 1

It’s not about comparing End Game to Titanic. Go ahead. But you guys literally spend dozens of pages arguing over the same thing over and over and over again. And it’s not like most posters are being objective about the box office or anything. 

Its been Cameron fanboys arguing with Marvel fanboys with each side trying to undermine the success of the movie they’re talking about. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

How is a comparison of two movies concern trolling and how is an opinion "movie A is better than movie B" an example of someone being "butthurt".  Titanic won Best Picture and here you are to say it's ridiculous that someone would feel it's a better made film lol 

I agree with you fully but i suggest we need to stop. Titanic already won, Earned it 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Where in the rules does it state that End Game cannot be compared to movies that came before it?   Titanic is a "fan war" movie now?  It's not even a franchise..   it's one movie that came out in the 90s.   This is what I mean about the discourse.  People are uncomfortable with comparisons.  It's moved past a Marvel, DC or Star Wars etc.  thing..   Now we can't compare this to Titanic lol.   

Frankly, I'm really really really tired of the fake "neutrality" a certain member has been posing for the last few days.

The weekend thread has always been a place to discuss all kinds of guesses, theories and comparisons with regards to box office.

On the once every 22 years occasion, a historical day where Titanic is surpassed by a non-Cameron film, surely a little bit of a discussion about that isn't in violation of the rules? Unless, we want to stifle the discussion on weekend thread to a point of just having numbers and nothing else, that's not what the weekend thread is known for.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

I love Titanic, but I had fun watching Avatar(a movie I enjoyed), finally toppling it's monumental gross.

I really enjoyed Avatar, but I am also having fun watching Endgame(a movie I really enjoyed), finally toppling it's tremendous gross.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

As if Oscars are indicative of quality?

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Aehm, I think the audience watching a horror movie is more used to ignore RT than the general audience.

Way different genres IMHO (not saying they exclude each other totally, more like used to ignore for horror, might look for other genre for the part of audience that does like both genres, and more split up for audience that prefers one genre strongly over the other, and all in between...) Hope its still clear what I mean

I think Intruder is more of a thriller, like No Good Deed, than horror. 

Endgame: -59.2% is a heavier than average drop for the MCU. But I’m sure Disney are underestimating Sunday. 

International weekend drop is -68%. 

It’ll stabilise drop wise internationally next weekend now that China has slowed down  and there’s no Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday numbers involved in the previous weekend. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

RIP titanic,

Titanic will be always remembered as a better film than EG, fight me..

Is it okay to like both of the films? Is it okay to say that Titanic was a behemoth at the box office and had a run unlike pretty much any other movie we had ever seen with the exception of maybe e t the Extra-Terrestrial? Titanic was 22 years ago. Whatever records it had or has are meant to be broken. Run from it, dread it, Destiny still arrives. It's just the way it is. I love Titanic and it's one of my all-time favorite movies but I really enjoyed endgame and it totally makes sense to me as to why endgame is going to become the all-time top grossing movie worldwide.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 Avengers: Endgame BV $2,188.7 $619.7 28.3% $1,569.0 71.7% 2019
3 Titanic Par. $2,187.5 $659.4 30.1% $1,528.1 69.9% 1997^

“Thanos sinks the Titanic” These are the headlines that will be everywhere. In the GA's mind End Game won. Ya'll can keep arguing about inflation while Marvel polishes it's crown.  RIP Titanic. 

tenor.gif?itemid=13149742

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Frankly, I'm really really really tired of the fake "neutrality" a certain member has been posing for the last few days.

The weekend thread has always been a place to discuss all kinds of guesses, theories and comparisons.

On the once every 22 years occasion, a historical day where Titanic is surpassed by a non-Cameron film, surely a little bit of a discussion about that isn't in violation of the rules? Unless, we want to stifle the discussion on weekend thread to a point of just having numbers and nothing else, that's not what the weekend thread is known for.

Well, I'm out.  Some here will be happy with that development so they can go back to discussions without being challenged and that's fine..  I have better things to do because obviously there are way too many people fearful of a simple box office comparison on a day where End Game surpassed said movie we are discussing no less...    :lol:      Enjoy. 

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

I love Titanic, but I had fun watching Avatar(a movie I enjoyed), finally toppling it's monumental gross.

I really enjoyed Avatar, but I am also having fun watching Endgame(a movie I really enjoyed), finally toppling it's tremendous gross.

Sure! that's the fun of watching box office.

Cheering for the new success, while giving a toast to the historic giants. ;)

14 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

We already have a calculation of what it would make in 2019 and it's way more than 500 million. 

I think he's referring to the demise of romantic films the past few years, not the adjusted for inflation thing. If Titanic were to release in 2019, who knows what it will make.

• Like 2

Titanic was the most sensational BO run I can ever remember ( especially its WW numbers) It just went so far ahead of what was thought possible at the time. It literally made a mockery of BO records as those were back then. 

Endgame is also sensational, not only in its massive global haul, but in that it is the 22nd installment in a franchise that has put to shame all others -> U.N.B.E.L.I.EV.A.B.L.E.

• Like 5