sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

13 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

So why wasn’t titanic surpassed in the last, i don’t know, 22 years ? People are acting as if this is something almost normal yet no Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter or any other franchise film managed to do it nevermind having 2 FILMS OVER 2 billion $$ worldwide in the span of 12 months. 2 films with a total worldwide box office gross of around 5 billion $$ in 12 months. Get some perspective.... 

The Cameron duo is exceptional for that reason, Cameron record and a typical WW records are kind of different.

Titanic doubled global record, and Avatar increased it by 50%. Of course, it'll take a while for them to be surpassed, endgame will surpass Avatar by like what, 5%? probably not even.

Noticed how there were only 4 Billion dollars film 10 years ago, now there's almost 40? Noticed how in 2015, 2018 and 2019 we're literally getting yearly 2B films now? Once a barrier is broken, that's it, it's broken.

@Valonqar 's theory explained this last point very well!

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

MCU has the biggest peak of any franchise. 

2018 - Infinity war + Black Panther + Antman 2 = 4 billion

2019 - End Game + Captain Marvel + Spider-man = 5 billion

9 billon in 2 years. Holy fuck. 

:bourne:

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

The Cameron duo is exceptional for that reason, Cameron record and a typical WW records are kind of different.

Titanic doubled global record, and Avatar increased it by 50%. Of course, it'll take a while for them to be surpassed, endgame will surpass Avatar by like what, 5%? probably not even.

Noticed how there were only 4 Billion dollars film 10 years ago, now there's almost 40? Noticed how in 2015, 2018 and 2019 we're literally getting yearly 2B films now? Once a barrier is broken, that's it, it's broken.

It surpassed Avatar a long time ago adjusted for exchange rates lol. 

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves is a good soundtrack but legendary? Most people haven't heard of it

That Bryan Adams song is permanently seared in my mind thanks to MTV playing it so much lol. Back in the 90's they used to have movie music videos that played on MTV constantly. It was basically a free commercial for the the movie playing every hour.  Just a few off the top of my head that will never leave my mind are the aforementioned Titanic/Celine Dion, Bodyguard/Whitney Houston, Robin Hood/Bryan Adams and my favorite at the time  Batman Forever (Seal - Kiss From a Rose and U2's Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss me) videos. Those movie music videos also inspired me into editing my own videos which has become a hobby that's stuck with me lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

It was surpassed by both TFA and IW. James Cameron was desperate and re-released it so that he could maintain the top spots.  

Whaaaaat? That’s not what happened. The Avengers wasn’t even out when Titanic re-released. It was for the 15th anniversary+Titanic centennial. At the time, nobody really thought The Avengers was going to hit $600 million, either.

Making fun of Cameron is all well and good, but that’s just incorrect history.

Edited by TServo2049

Just now, NCsoft said:

Please don't quote me, I do not want to engage with you.

Then don't make shitty post with false statements. Or better yet click the ignore button.  

As I said End Game surpassed avatar ages ago. Avatars gross is inflated by exchange rates. 

RIP. 

4 minutes ago, bleachella said:

dick measuring contest that never leads to anything

May as well close this message board....... that pretty much only what ever go on when random people talk box office.

• Haha 1

Just now, TServo2049 said:

Whaaaaat? That’s not what happened. The Avengers wasn’t even out when Titanic re-released. It was for the 15th anniversary+Titanic centennial. At the time, nobody really thought The Avengers was going to hit $600 million.

Making fun of Cameron is all well and good, but that’s just incorrect history.

He still re-released it cause he knew inflation was gonna catch up and someone was going to surpass him soon. My point is still that Titanics box office was surpassed and it's not fair to say that it wasn't when those other movies haven't been re-released lol. 

34 minutes ago, Nova said:

It’s not about comparing End Game to Titanic. Go ahead. But you guys literally spend dozens of pages arguing over the same thing over and over and over again. And it’s not like most posters are being objective about the box office or anything. 

Its been Cameron fanboys arguing with Marvel fanboys with each side trying to undermine the success of the movie they’re talking about. 

agree mostly, there are posts in between that seem rather balanced too, but that is the reason the fanwar thread exist in the end, or?

29 minutes ago, DAR said:

Um I guess

stramge wording, me too have no idea why that tweet was worded that wa, no explanation in that 'articla' neither

23 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Titanic was the most sensational BO run I can ever remember ( especially its WW numbers) It just went so far ahead of what was thought possible at the time. It literally made a mockery of BO records as those were back then. 

Endgame is also sensational, not only in its massive global haul, but in that it is the 22nd installment in a franchise that has put to shame all others -> U.N.B.E.L.I.EV.A.B.L.E.

Agree to the degree I thought then that Star Wars (today known as Star Wars 4) had an unbelievable run, especially for a genre then way too many considered ~ not respectable, at least here in my country/surrounding. And E.T.,...

Locally the results of Once Upon a Time in the West, Jungle Book.... spins still my mind.

I think a lot of movies had for different reasons extreme runs, and I am happy for all of them, even the ones I personally do not like nor enjoy.

For the milestone fans:

Shazam! passed $350m ww

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $135,193,790    38.0%
Foreign:  $220,400,000    62.0%

Worldwide:  $355,593,790  

• Like 1

After reading the last pages, so I went on to find something to relax...

Here's what I found:

Our world's about to break
Tormented and upset
Lost from when we wake
With no way to go back
I'm standing on my own
But now I'm not alone
Avengers Assemble!
Always we will fight as one
'Til the battles won
With evil on the run
We never come undone
Assembled we are strong
Forever fight as one
Assembled we are strong
Forever fight as one

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Name a more iconic duo than Disney and under-predicting their Sunday grosses of literally almost every movie they put out.

Disney and breaking the opening weekend record

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Menor said:

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves is a good soundtrack but legendary? Most people haven't heard of it

Everything I do is one of the biggest selling movie singles of all time....it also spent 16 weeks at number one on Britain. I think people have heard of it.

• Like 2

Titanic is one of the most important films of all time, this movie deserves every word of praise and it will forever be JC's magnum opus 

Avatar was a technical wonder, that's it. It made what it made because it was a movie to be experienced in large screen cinema 3D. It was amazingly well done and cameron even deserved the oscar for best director however, it was not even the best sci fi movie of the year ( District 9 ) 

JC will get his chance in 18 months or so, lets see how he does this time 

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Name a more iconic duo than Disney and under-predicting their Sunday grosses of literally almost every movie they put out.

Better press for your actuals to go up than down

Wow..Congrats to Disney and Marvel.  2.1 Billion in 10 Days.  Amazing, no other way to spin it.   "Endgame" really had the finale factor almost like a season finale to a popular television franchise that has been running for over a decade.  So this is playing like Potter and Twilight as far as the 2nd film in the finale increasing.  Everyone had to see it immediately.  Because of that, there is some frontloadedness.   After this weekend, "Awakens" does have a strong shot to hold serve since "Endgame" is already falling under certain dailies here or there.  I doubt it matches "Awakens" 2nd Monday as well.  But "Avatar" WW is in danger with only 600 Million globally to go.   "Infinity War", "Awakens" and "Titanic" all fell globally on the same weekend.  That's kind of crazy.   Let's see what Pika Pika, John Neo Wick and Aladdin can do which will challenge some of the same demos of EG.  But over 800 Domestically is definitely looking good.  

• Like 2