sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

As someone on Twitter pointed out, it will be funny having this be #1 all-time WW since if it fails to surpass TFA in the US it won't have reached #1 all-time in any of the major markets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Royce said:

Everyone fighting in here while Disney owns the top 5 movies of all time

When-She-Proudly-Surveys-Damage-She-Caus

What does owning a movie entail? Last I checked Jim owns the Avatar IP

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Because their movies before weren't Me, Myself, and Dupree and a few episodes for a comedy tv show. Plus, as I said. None of them made a film that was part of a committee controlled, popular IP. Even Chris Nolan and James Cameron who did direct a film that was part of a popular IP fully controlled those kinds of projects and made those IPs actually popular. For all I know, the Russos didn't even direct a substantial amount of Endgame (which was done by second unit directors and pre-viz teams instead).

Cameron made Alien a popular IP? Ridley did that, he made the better movie aswell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Better press for your actuals to go up than down

At this point I think they just love seeing us meltdown and are intentionally fucking with us for the lulz.

Wait, why are people mentioning Nolan when talking about legendary directors like JC, Spielberg, Scorsese and the likes ? 
I'm honestly curious, is he a legend for making Inception and one fantastic CBM out of a trilogy ? Am I missing something here ?

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

32 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Please don't quote me, I do not want to engage with you.

That's not even true because Avatar loose a lot of money from Europe $250M due to exchange rates but at the same it did a lot less money that it could have done in Asia and South America, around the same amount that won from Europe because the currencies in those countries are a lot weaker, and then when you add the inflation, you are around $3,25/3,3B based on admissions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BardCrank said:

Wait, why are people mentioning Nolan when talking about legendary directors like JC, Spielberg, Scorsese and the likes ? 
I'm honestly curious, is he a legend for making Inception and one fantastic CBM out of a trilogy ? Am I missing something here ?

Now, not all filmmakers can even attempt to make as good of films as The Dark Knight and Inception. Plus, Dunkirk is aslo exceptional. So, yeah, in terms of modern day directors, he's definitely one of the best. I'd say Nolan has a guaranteed slot in a list of the Top 25 most influential directors of all time so far.

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m confused.

Do you mean Top 5 in terms of gross, unadjusted, America only? 

top 5 worldwide

Avatar & Titanic are Fox, Infinity War, Endgame, Force Awakens are Disney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

TFA fell on its face for example.

That last box office battle isn’t over yet, still a way to go domestically.

Will Endgame be the first film to be #1 worldwide without being #1 either internationally or domestically at the time of release? 

• Like 1

Just now, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Shazam’s release date really hurt it imo.  I think it could have done a lot more with say an early August release.

really? It had very little competition. Ive heard some people say it had a bad marketing campaign, I would just say people were not interested in seeing it. I think the trouble was it appearing to be kid-oriented puts many adults off.

30 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

As someone on Twitter pointed out, it will be funny having this be #1 all-time WW since if it fails to surpass TFA in the US it won't have reached #1 all-time in any of the major markets. 

Yeah, a Jurassic Park situation pretty much (Getting all time WW crown while not getting domestic crown)

There are plenty of markets where AEG won't be topping the all time list, China for example, will still have Wolf Warrior 2 and The Wandering Earth as top 2. 

So in the end, TFA keeps its domestic crown, AEG snags WW crown, pretty good chance Avatar keeps OS crown, and many markets keep their own crowns. Hard to recreate a Cameron duo situation of across the board domination.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Titanic is Paramount.

it's both.  Most of the money spent on the film was by Fox, and most of the profit went to Fox. Its fair to say Titanic is a Disney film given they own international rights.

• ...wtf 1