sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

1 hour ago, AJ2k said:

That Bryan Adams song is permanently seared in my mind thanks to MTV playing it so much lol. Back in the 90's they used to have movie music videos that played on MTV constantly. It was basically a free commercial for the the movie playing every hour.  Just a few off the top of my head that will never leave my mind are the aforementioned Titanic/Celine Dion, Bodyguard/Whitney Houston, Robin Hood/Bryan Adams and my favorite at the time  Batman Forever (Seal - Kiss From a Rose and U2's Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss me) videos. Those movie music videos also inspired me into editing my own videos which has become a hobby that's stuck with me lol.

I'd like this post, but dang this thread for stealing them all from me..,

That Bryan Adams song is still one of my top favorite songs of all time...and I don't even like Bryan Adams, the artist...

It may or may not have also been the wedding song I had with my spouse...I will neither confirm, nor deny, that I 100% got to pick b/c my spouse would have picked a Van Morrison song (and no, not Brown Eyed Girl b/c that's his least favorite...and I have blue eyes:)...and thus, my taste was way better...

I can pretty much sing the song by heart...and I love the ending to it...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That last box office battle isn’t over yet, still a way to go domestically.

Will Endgame be the first film to be #1 worldwide without being #1 either internationally or domestically at the time of release? 

I was actually talking about worldwide which would be evident if you had quoted my entire post instead of cutting it.

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Titanic is Paramount.

It’s Fox, they got co financing help from Paramount because of the never ending cost of the movie. So Fox got international distribution and Paramount domestic.

For a change of convo: My most anticipated summer wide releases

1. The Farewell

2. Detective Pikachu

3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

4. Godzilla: King of the Monsters

5. Yesterday

6. Where’d You Go Bernadette?

7. Midsommar

8. The Last Black Man in San Francisco

9. John Wick 3: Parabellum

10. Late Night

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

I think he's referring to the demise of romantic films the past few years, not the adjusted for inflation thing. If Titanic were to release in 2019, who knows what it will make.

I assume it's much more than that.

Titanic did a huge percentage of its business during a very long tail.  It was in theaters for over 40 weeks, and was raking in money that whole time.

If it was released this year, it would have been available on streaming services and Blu Ray long before that.  That wouldn't have cut out some trivial amount of money the way it does for the overwhelming majority of movies; for Titanic, that would have cut out a substantial some of money.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

really? It had very little competition. Ive heard some people say it had a bad marketing campaign, I would just say people were not interested in seeing it. I think the trouble was it appearing to be kid-oriented puts many adults off.

It was released three weeks before Endgame, it was beginning to develop a nice semi-leggy run until Endgame’s release.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

1. The Farewell

2. Detective Pikachu

5. Yesterday

7. Midsommar

10. Late Night

isn't Whered you go Bernadette in October?

13 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Now, not all filmmakers can even attempt to make as good of films as The Dark Knight and Inception. Plus, Dunkirk is aslo exceptional. So, yeah, in terms of modern day directors, he's definitely one of the best. I'd say Nolan has a guaranteed slot in a list of the Top 25 most influential directors of all time so far.

Payne, Villeneuve, O Russel, McQueen, Iñárritu, PT Anderson, and Fincher have all made multiple great movies yet people are reluctant to mention them with the greatest directors. Not the case with Nolan fans tho 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

It was released three weeks before Endgame, it was beginning to develop a nice semi-leggy run until Endgame’s release.

sure it may have made a little bit more without Endgame but not much. especially overseas.

3 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

1. The Farewell

2. Detective Pikachu

5. Yesterday

7. Midsommar

10. Late Night

Some good picks here. Late night have such a weird cast combo that I have to see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

For all I know, the Russos didn't even direct a substantial amount of Endgame (which was done by second unit directors and pre-viz teams instead).

Dude, come on.  If you haven't bothered to watch any of the many interviews with the Russo Brothers, or read any of the many articles about them, then you shouldn't be posting speculation like this.  And if you have, then it's farcical for you to throw this out there as a possibility; no one who has seen or heard them interviewed could doubt the enormous impact they had on the movies they directed, including the months spent working with the writers on each script.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd like this post, but dang this thread for stealing them all from me..,

That Bryan Adams song is still one of my top favorite songs of all time...and I don't even like Bryan Adams, the artist...

It may or may not have also been the wedding song I had with my spouse...I will neither confirm, nor deny, that I 100% got to pick b/c my spouse would have picked a Van Morrison song (and no, not Brown Eyed Girl b/c that's his least favorite...and I have blue eyes:)...and thus, my taste was way better...

I can pretty much sing the song by heart...and I love the ending to it...

/puts on Astral Weeks to tune out such blasphemy/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

I honestly don't see global box office plateauing until late this century. 

Very small chance of this.  Unless there is some currently unimagined scientific breakthrough, climate change will create a world in which luxury entertainment like movies will be out of the reach of the majority of the planet, well before the end of the century.

1 minute ago, andrewgr said:

Very small chance of this.  Unless there is some currently unimagined scientific breakthrough, climate change will create a world in which luxury entertainment like movies will be out of the reach of the majority of the planet, well before the end of the century.

I think that's a little pessimistic, in any case, let's fight global climate change so we can enjoy higher box office growth ;)

Also, Africa has a population of 1.2B right now, there is a strong possibility that number will expand to ~4B by the end of this century, think of all the box office potential there!

4 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Marketing was more or less non existent. Besides an awesome Zachary Levi, his chemestry with the kid and how well they handled the fish out of water part of the story. The movie didn’t offer much imo. Bad writing and overarching story, bad cinematography, it looked cheap. Hope they make another one, as Levi was perfectly casted and this character has a lot of fun potential.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I was actually talking about worldwide which would be evident if you had quoted my entire post instead of cutting it.

Yeh I seen that, just to describe it as  “fallen on its face” sounds a bit over the top, when it’s still the biggest film ever in America (unadjusted) for now