sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

oops yeah. We don't have many examples of that. Harry POtter part 2 increased and Twilight 2 increased too. only Hunger Games decreased

increase / stay flat:

Deathly Hallows part 1 - $125M

Deathly Hallows part 2 - $169M

Breaking Dawn part 1 - $138M

Breaking Dawn part 2 - $141M

Lord of the Rings part 2 - $102M

Lord of the Rings part 3 - $124M

Kill Bill part 1 - 22M

Kill Bill part 2 - 25M

The Hobbit part 2 - 74M

The Hobbit part 3 - 54M/89M

decreases:

Mockingjay part 1 - $122M

Mockingjay part 2 - $103M

Allegiant part 1 - $29M

Allegiant part 2 - $0

So now I see ROTK being brought up. Funny when I mentioned ROTK almost a year ago in the first few pages of the international thread of EG nobody seemed to agree with me, instead EG would drop because....reasons. As to what went right, IW is a beloved film, a classic blockbuster that created good faith. Endgame is good too so it didn’t destroy the momentum it had. IW was so strong that disney didn’t even need to put one money shot in the trailers of endgame.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

IMO the amazing thing about the Endgame performance is not just whether it reaches totals and breaks records, but simply the incredible speed with which it's selling tickets. If the estimates for this weekend are a little under actuals, Endgame just passed The Last Jedi and The Avengers in only ten days. 

I think this is testament to the huge affection audiences have for these characters; people just cannot wait to discover their heroes' fates. Presumably that's why Infinity War Part I is being so remarkably outpaced by "Infinity War Part II", or, more appositely; "Infinity War - FINAL PART"!

Including "End" in the title instead of "Part II" was a very smart move too. 👍

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Avatree said:

increase / stay flat:

Deathly Hallows part 1 - $125M

Deathly Hallows part 2 - $169M

Breaking Dawn part 1 - $138M

Breaking Dawn part 2 - $141M

Lord of the Rings part 2 - $102M

Lord of the Rings part 3 - $124M

Kill Bill part 1 - 22M

Kill Bill part 2 - 25M

The Hobbit part 2 - 74M

The Hobbit part 3 - 54M/89M

decreases:

Mockingjay part 1 - $122M

Mockingjay part 2 - $103M

Allegiant part 1 - $29M

Allegiant part 2 - $0

Ooh we’re allowed to call Endgame a “Part 2” film now? 

When I called Infinity War a part 1 film people freaked out. 😂😂

(I still firmly believe IW and EG are part 1/2 films, Endgame proves it). 

48 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Walt Disney Co's Avengers: Endgame passes Walt Disney Co's Titanic for the #2 spot on the all time worldwide box office and is closing in on Walt Disney Co's Avatar for the all time #1 spot.

(Yes, I know Titanic was Paramount in North America)

I think it's pretty overlooked that it also passed Walt Disney Co's The Force Awakens and Walt Disney Co's Infinity War this weekend. 

Oh i had forgotten there were some nutjobs in this place claiming that because IW has a beginning a middle and an end, its not a part 1.

:hahaha:

the logic is baffling.

infinity_war_0.jpg?itok=3kfx6g6E

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Oh i had forgotten there were some nutjobs in this place claiming that because IW has a beginning a middle and an end, its not a part 1.

the logic is baffling.

Where were you when I needed you lol

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ooh we’re allowed to call Endgame a “Part 2” film now? 

When I called Infinity War a part 1 film people freaked out. 😂😂

(I still firmly believe IW and EG are part 1/2 films, Endgame proves it). 

Endgame was originally planned to be Infinity War Part 2. Endgame directly follows up on the events of Infinity War with no time-skip between movies and no MCU movies in-between. Endgame is Infinity War Part 2 in all but name.

When Disney quickly dropped the "Infinity War Part II" title in favour of the "Avengers 4" placeholder, I assumed it was a move to help Part I to be seen as its own film, so that casual audiences wouldn't be inclined to think "ah, I'll skip this one and wait for the finale next year".

Probably most people never even knew the movies had originally been announced as Part I and Part II. The cliffhanger ending of IW was presumably quite a surprise for them! 😁

Long Shot is a GREAT movie. Too bad more people aren't seeing it, as it's bound to be one of, if not THE overlooked and underrated movie of the year. Probably my favourite from Rogen

• Like 1

Avengers Endgame's numbers are really the worst thing to happen to this forum. It has become dick size measuring contest every day since it opened. It should have been the opposite, but it's really a toxic conversation that has no end goal. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Long Shot is a GREAT movie. Too bad more people aren't seeing it, as it's bound to be one of, if not THE overlooked and underrated movie of the year. Probably my favourite from Rogen

Love Rogen and most of his movies so this is great to hear!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I wonder why Lionsgate didn't keep in June, it would have thrived. 

I'm surprised Jonathan Levine hasn't been snapped up to do bigger films.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Avatree said:

the logic is baffling.

The directors said that. Are you calling them nutjobs? You could skip IW and still enjoy EG since everything important that happened in IW is explained to you.

4 minutes ago, Lancelot Gold said:

You could skip IW and still enjoy EG since everything important that happened in IW is explained to you.

Likewise, you could walk of out IW, and if EG were never to be made (and thus no post-credit scene to obviously set up sequel), the story is concluded pretty definitively.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder why Lionsgate didn't keep in June, it would have thrived. 

I'm surprised Jonathan Levine hasn't been snapped up to do bigger films.

I’m guessing Lionsgate wanted to hit the Mother’s Day crowd and thought that they could counterprogram Endgame. It worked for Overboard last year.

16 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Avengers Endgame's numbers are really the worst thing to happen to this forum. It has become dick size measuring contest every day since it opened. It should have been the opposite, but it's really a toxic conversation that has no end goal. 

It's gonna be a nightmare when Avatar 2 comes out. Or if TROS falls either side of expectations.