sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

3 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

The Force Awakens has held all-time domestic gross for the past 3+ years, but otherwise you’re right.

Yeah, I should mention referring to worldwide, obviously, sequels have held all time record in a list of markets, I'm pretty sure Infinity War hold records in a few, and also Wolf Warrior 2 in China, and TFA in NA, as you mentioned

9 hours ago, HeadShot said:

Titanic was the biggest film of it's decade and End Game will be the biggest film of this decade. They both dominated their respective times. And lmao at soundtrack being used as an argument.  Titanic had a song with Celine Dion, the best selling female artist of all time, the woman that sold 60 million albums in the span of 2 years prior to Titanic. She could have farted on a track and it would have gone diamond.

Perhaps End Game should have asked Beyonce, Britney Spears or Adele to sing their theme song? 

tenor.gif?itemid=13149742

That's Madonna.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

24 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

That's Madonna.

It is definitely Madonna, and as a lamb, I should also state that between Celine and Mariah, there isn't a conclusive consensus as to who have sold more. But Mariah does have a larger number of hits, billboard chart records, and generally influenced a list of singers (Beyonce, Christina, Ariana etc....), which Celine can't really claim. 

Edited by NCsoft

9 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Titanic rules obviously. The biggest movie success of all time worldwide. Star Wars (original), Endgame, GWTW, Avatar are no match at all.

I'm not sure how much you can compare between eras though. I doubt it's even possible for something with Titanic's level of appeal to do what Titanic did these days. 

1 minute ago, Menor said:

I'm not sure how much you can compare between eras though. I doubt it's even possible for something with Titanic's level of appeal to do what Titanic did these days. 

Yeah. The Titanic vs. Endgame debate is pointless. They're too far removed from one another and released in completely different conditions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

This is a really good point. It's kind of like when people try to compare or rank the all time greatest athletes in a given sport. At a certain point you can't rank all time, you only rank within eras.

Or, one can just simply rank using the numbers at face value. For instance, you can argue all day about the merits of Titanic's run and whether it would do the same today or not, but at the end of the day before Endgame came around it was still 2nd all time at the global box office. The numbers simply speak for themselves.

Admissions is the only TRUE way to judge movies across all eras against each other in terms of box office. Unfortunately we don't have that information available to us. We only have very crude estimates from BOM or numbers that someone in the know, like @Charlie Jatinder, may give us from time to time.

7 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

I'd agree with Sun 46m Jatinder put forward

So around 148m. Good increase

@RtheEnd is Friday/Saturday above or below estimates. Is there a chance for it take 2nd weekend record.

Assuming everything stands its 2nd sunday drop is worse than IW. I guess its due to burning out significant more demand. Its relying on folks watching it 2nd time.

I may be too early but this gif is a good for this weekend.

tenor.gif

Edited by keysersoze123

15 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

RTH any reason why on Comscore's w/e  B.O. charts that Disney invariably only tracks 55 or so markets for a WW day and date opening when other studios are in the 70s or even 80s?  What happens with the other markets?

Basically its just they only mention  the count for what they call material or main markets/territories, so yes  that number is actually a lot higher than 55 its got nothing to do with the actual BO they report its covering everything they are getting(inclu markets like Saudi Arabia) 

• Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, I gotta admit: I totally took beating TFA for the 2nd weekend record for granted. Ah well, still huge numbers we're dealing with here.

its still amazing drop. Entire 1st weekend was on steroids and still it dropped < 60%. That is just incredible. Its so far ahead of IW which had lots of hype as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

its still amazing drop. Entire 1st weekend was on steroids and still it dropped < 60%. That is just incredible. Its so far ahead of IW which had lots of hype as well.

Oh for sure. I'm just so used to Marvel films behaving like Marvel films no matter how big the numbers are that I just assumed the 2nd weekend would cruise by 150. My official estimate was $160.1M and before thought I thought it could do $170+.