sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

2 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Obviously,

Celine = Titanic

Madonna = Avatar

Mariah = MCU

Okay but only one of them sang with a dancing Deadpool so....

Edited by Nova

9 minutes ago, Broshnat said:

Well I like to use admissions as the fairest method to compare movies across the last 100 years - no method is perfect but it takes care of things like exchange rates and ticket price inflation.

13yfe6e.jpg

Just if you like to add

India

Titanic 24mn

Endgame 20mn (full run 25mn)

IW 17mn

China

Titanic: not sure about initial run but 3D would be around 20mn

IW: 60mn

Endgame: 78mn (full run 85mn)

TFA: ~20mn

Also NA Avatar is around 70mn.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broshnat said:

Well I like to use admissions as the fairest method to compare movies across the last 100 years - no method is perfect but it takes care of things like exchange rates and ticket price inflation.

13yfe6e.jpg

Admissions is still a poor comparison point, actually even more poor imo.

Quantity of tickets sold being higher doesn’t make a movie more popular or in higher demand.  It completely ignores different market structures and factors that are at least somewhat factored into ticket price levels.  For example, GOTW was released at a time with respectively cheaper tickets than today because today there’s more of a push to sell fewer, higher priced premium seats and films are in theaters for a far shorter amount of time.  

Then, you still have to deal with the fact that depending on the time frame certain markets are going to be at completely different levels of development and size.  You could say “GOTW was non-existent in the East”, but that blatantly ignores that many of the Eastern theater markets only recently started growing (example China, which really started taking off around 2011-2012, right when Avengers was released).

And I’d be curious to know how accurate admissions data even is.

The overall idea of trying to compare two phenomenas from entirely different time periods and state which one was bigger is flawed imo.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 2

23 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Just if you like to add

India

Titanic 24mn

IW 17mn

China

I have China in there (CN about halfway across) but am in the process of adding India as it is the next largest market currently missing on there.

Clearly there are a lot of smaller markets missing which will help to round everything out if that information ever becomes available.

19 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Admissions is still a poor comparison point, actually even more poor imo.

Quantity of tickets sold being higher doesn’t make a movie more popular or in higher demand.  It completely ignores different market structures and factors that are at least somewhat factored into ticket price levels.  For example, GOTW was released at a time with respectively cheaper tickets than today because today there’s more of a push to sell fewer, higher priced premium seats and films are in theaters for a far shorter amount of time.  

Then, you still have to deal with the fact that depending on the time frame certain markets are going to be at completely different levels of development and size.  You could say “GOTW was non-existent in the East”, but that blatantly ignores that many of the Eastern theater markets only recently started growing (example China, which really started taking off around 2011-2012, right when Avengers was released).

And I’d be curious to know how accurate admissions data even is.

The overall idea of trying to compare two phenomenas from entirely different time periods and state which one was bigger is flawed imo.

Even more poor than what?

If anybody would like to compare films from different time periods (and as you say there are flaws in doing so) - I don't see a better way than adding up how many people went to see that movie.

Most arguments tend to cancel out - people like to ignore GWTW as it was re-released over 50 years in the days before video and that seems somehow "unfair" but to counter that - the population in the USA in 1939 was less than half of what it is now and some of the re-releases (such as the big one in 1967) consisted of a major re-master of the film to 70mm. Recent movies such as Lion King, Titanic and Jurassic Park have had fairly successful re-releases due to 3D or anniversaries, despite the availability on DVD, BluRay, Netflix etc - in some ways I'd say that drawing people back into a cinema 20-30 years later to spend another $5-10 to watch an old film is a hell of an achievement.

As is clear in the table - modern films benefit enormously from admissions in Asia and Latin America compared to 20+ years ago but again there is no method to really account for this - if you take the gross or adjusted gross you have the same issue but also add into the mix exchange rate fluctuations and local inflation differences which add further complexity. Admissions, to some extent, normalises these things.

Any comparison will be flawed - even between two movies released this year as they appeal to different markets, different age groups, different ticket prices, release windows and so on! I guess we just have the make the best of what we have and try to make the fairest comparisons we can.

Such is the nature of box office analysis.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Broshnat said:

I have China in there (CN about halfway across) but am in the process of adding India as it is the next largest market currently missing on there.

Clearly there are a lot of smaller markets missing which will help to round everything out if that information ever becomes available.

I was thinking of doing this once Endgame complete its run in July perhaps.

• Thanks 1

By Sunday at a minimum 80+ million tickets for Endgame would have been sold Domestic. 

GWTW didn’t hit that number until it’s 4th release in 1947. 8 years after opening.  GWTW was at 76 million before the 4th release. 

Very different markets. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

By Sunday at a minimum 80+ million tickets for Endgame would have been sold Domestic. 

GWTW didn’t hit that number until it’s 4th release in 1947. 8 years after opening.  GWTW was at 76 million before the 4th release. 

Very different markets. 

The other thing people don't take into account is how much home video changed the box office game by basically making most rereleases extinct.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The other thing people don't take into account is how much home video changed the box office game by basically making most rereleases extinct.

Yes but i still want my Lord of the Rings-Rerelease. Didnt have a chance to see those films in theaters as i was 6 years old when ROTK came out. I want to see them on the big screen so badly.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Yes but i still want my Lord of the Rings-Rerelease. Didnt have a chance to see those films in theaters as i was 6 years old when ROTK came out. I want to see them on the big screen so badly.

you missed out massively.

helms deep was unreal

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Fingers crossed for 20th anniversary re-release. 

• Like 1

Just now, DeeCee said:

Fingers crossed for 20th anniversary re-release. 

That has been my hope for years.

And if theres a re-release but only in the US, i might just fly over for that lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Just if you like to add

India

Titanic 24mn

IW 17mn

China

Thanks very much for the graphic Charlie, it´s very nice to see it for a lover of numbers like me.

For me this is also the best way to measure the success of a movie, admissions. Many people in this fórum are more interested in dollars, because is the only way to see some récords fall.

In my opinión, Titanic is the greatest hit all time, and i see very very very difficult another movie can surpass it. Besides, this kind of run, ultraleggy, are much more funny to follow, to see a movie 16 weeks at number 1 and having it´s highest grossing day on 58th it´s much more entertaining for me.

That 1,8 b in 1998 was something out of this world, for me Titanic undoubtfully n. 1 all time.

Edited by setna
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Obviously,

Celine = Titanic

Madonna = Avatar

Mariah = MCU

I’m going to see Mariah in 3 weeks at the Royal Albert Hall in London. 

I’ve seen Celine twice and Madonna once. Madonna was in a stadium and it was crap. 

Celine is probably the best concert of all time! 

21 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

The absolute best case scenario I came up with for GWTW was 185 million tickets. Most likely is 155-160 million. 

And need to take into account how many cinemas there actually were at that time! Wow those screens must’ve been absolutely rammed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1