sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m going to see Mariah in 3 weeks at the Royal Albert Hall in London. 

I’ve seen Celine twice and Madonna once. Madonna was in a stadium and it was crap. 

Celine is probably the best concert of all time! 

I might be going too! She's my fav artist ever! Her performances can be hit & mess...but the songs are the best. 

Celine was better though live, saw her at the 02 a few years ago!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

And need to take into account how many cinemas there actually were at that time! Wow those screens must’ve been absolutely rammed 

Weren't there more small cinemas around back in the good old days? The little backwater that I live in (not in US) had its own cinema when I was a kid, but it's long been out of business now and the whole place been razed into the ground.

1 hour ago, Broshnat said:

Well I like to use admissions as the fairest method to compare movies across the last 100 years - no method is perfect but it takes care of things like exchange rates and ticket price inflation.

13yfe6e.jpg

POLAND

Gone with the Wind - 12+ million 

Titanic - 3 655 866

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - 5+ million (first release in 1979 with 2 880 000, 1997 re-release 576 680)

E.T. - 3 625 012

The Avengers: Endgame - 1,85-2,1 million

The Avengers: Infinity War - 1 225 208

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens - 3 009 949

Jaws - 6 029 590

The Lion King - 2 923 938

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

By Sunday at a minimum 80+ million tickets for Endgame would have been sold Domestic. 

GWTW didn’t hit that number until it’s 4th release in 1947. 8 years after opening.  GWTW was at 76 million before the 4th release. 

Very different markets. 

Sure. But imagine how much quicker GOTW would have got there if there was a showing every 30 minutes. 

Like everyone’s saying - it’s completely different times and we should just concentrate on the dollars grossed as that’s how it’s always been measured. 

Endgame WW will be the biggest ‘grossing’ film of all time. Not the ‘most attended’. I’m fine with that. 

I’m nearly 40 and you just feel it in your bones how big something is. Endgame doesn’t feel like as big a phenomenon as Titanic or Avatar were, to me at least. Doesn’t mean it isn’t the biggest thing since Force Awakens though. 

Looking forward to it passing Avatar. Genuinely thought we’d never see it happen. 10 years!!! We’re here for the records and amazing runs kids. Enjoy it. 

19 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

I might be going too! She's my fav artist ever! Her performances can be hit & mess...but the songs are the best. 

Celine was better though live, saw her at the 02 a few years ago!

Amazing, enjoy! 

2 hours ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Admissions is still a poor comparison point, actually even more poor imo.

Quantity of tickets sold being higher doesn’t make a movie more popular or in higher demand.  It completely ignores different market structures and factors that are at least somewhat factored into ticket price levels.  For example, GOTW was released at a time with respectively cheaper tickets than today because today there’s more of a push to sell fewer, higher priced premium seats and films are in theaters for a far shorter amount of time.  

Then, you still have to deal with the fact that depending on the time frame certain markets are going to be at completely different levels of development and size.  You could say “GOTW was non-existent in the East”, but that blatantly ignores that many of the Eastern theater markets only recently started growing (example China, which really started taking off around 2011-2012, right when Avengers was released).

And I’d be curious to know how accurate admissions data even is.

The overall idea of trying to compare two phenomenas from entirely different time periods and state which one was bigger is flawed imo.

Why is it more poor, if one is being honest than both money and adm. are pretty awful.

More tickets sold -> more people watched it -> it's more popular

Tickets in the Us aren't expensive when people are calculating with an average price of $9...

For that, you should look up some Indian movies from the 70s (don't remember its name, sold like 200m adm. in India and 60m adm. in the USSR)

Heavily based on country, in Germany, for example, it's really accurate (whole system based on adm. which is why the highest OWend is still HP1 for example) (but € is just as accurate), for Japan it's the same, most European countries count the adm. (Italy, France, Poland, Spain etc.)

For the US most adm. are estimates

Titanic was small in the eas (but at that time it was gigantic, think it was the biggest movie in China for like 10 years or so)

That's true, there are just too many variables influencing everything.

1 hour ago, Pypa94 said:

POLAND

Gone with the Wind - 12+ million 

Damn . That's freaking huge. How good is this movie. I need to watch it or it will feel out-dated. I kind of just survived through 1st hour of A New Hope, to give a hint on my taste.

I wonder if studio whether simply announced that 50% of countries' population it released or it really did that much.

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Damn . That's freaking huge. How good is this movie. I need to watch it or it will feel out-dated. I kind of just survived through 1st hour of A New Hope, to give a hint on my taste.

I wonder if studio whether simply announced that 50% of countries' population it released or it really did that much.

It's horribly long and outdated. I don't remember much as I've seen it 12 or so years ago last time, but I remember I don't wanna watch it ever again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Its 3 hours melodrama. Technically brilliant with some really good performances but like ... just really old and slow. If you didnt like the 1st act of ANH, you will probably despise GWTW.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So Disney stays true to always underestimating their Sunday, but it was wise to not announce a 150m second weekend.

40.637m (+88.6%)

61.426m (+51.2%)

45.2m (-26.4%) (A1: -27.9%, AoU: -33$, IW: -21.5%)

147.263m 2nd Weekend, 2nd highest ever.

Highest Saturday and Sunday for not OW (beat TFA for both)

2nd highest non OD-Friday.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

So under TFA's record after all.

Looks like it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

For that, you should look up some Indian movies from the 70s (don't remember its name, sold like 200m adm. in India and 60m adm. in the USSR

Sholay. Around 250mn admits from reported gross. There could be more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, setna said:

Thanks very much for the graphic Charlie, it´s very nice to see it for a lover of numbers like me.

For me this is also the best way to measure the success of a movie, admissions. Many people in this fórum are more interested in dollars, because is the only way to see some récords fall.

In my opinión, Titanic is the greatest hit all time, and i see very very very difficult another movie can surpass it. Besides, this kind of run, ultraleggy, are much more funny to follow, to see a movie 16 weeks at number 1 and having it´s highest grossing day on 58th it´s much more entertaining for me.

That 1,8 b in 1998 was something out of this world, for me Titanic undoubtfully n. 1 all time.

Agreed 100%.

Titanic was THE Pop Culture Phenomenon movie of our lifetime.

The movie was EVERYWHERE and anywhere non-stop from December 1997-1998.

Talk shows, TV Shows (we’re talking about everywhere from references in Seinfeld-Friends, to children shows like Timon & Pumbaa), Documentaries,  magazines, news papers, radio, MTV, Oscars, Golden Globes, People’s Choice, etc... 

It was a movie that people loved to love during the time and could not stop talking about it- Everybody from Grandma/Grandma right down to my school filled with 6-10 year olds.

Sure, movies like Endgame, The Force Awakens, or even Avatar are/were big when they were released, though they were all forgotten fairly quickly once the next big blockbuster came out a few weeks later.

Titanic obsession lasted for months and months, reflected in the 16 weeks the movie spent at number 1. It also made it to the top spot- Highest Grossing film of All-Time - in each respective country it was released. 

Over the years we’ve seen Titanic fall down the list, but whenever I reflect and compare Titanic to any movie that has passed it since, It’s truly still a pop culture phenomenon whose scope and scale hasn’t been matched.

• Like 4