sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Damn . That's freaking huge. How good is this movie. I need to watch it or it will feel out-dated. I kind of just survived through 1st hour of A New Hope, to give a hint on my taste.

I wonder if studio whether simply announced that 50% of countries' population it released or it really did that much.

That movie really seemed to have underperformed in Germany...

Same with the sound of music, though that is because "Die Trapp-Familie" was released three years prior and

sold ~27m adm overall.

54 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I kind of just survived through 1st hour of A New Hope

To be fair, that first hour is really awful. (Same with ROTJ's first hour)

But (in my case) seeing that after how much film has evolved takes 95% of its charm away. I understand why it was so mindblowing back then. 

ESB somehow managed to still be THAT movie, though. 

53 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Damn . That's freaking huge. How good is this movie. I need to watch it or it will feel out-dated. I kind of just survived through 1st hour of A New Hope, to give a hint on my taste.

I wonder if studio whether simply announced that 50% of countries' population it released or it really did that much.

Actually is not so big (huge though) :D it cumulative from 4 re-releases, first release in 1963 or 62, for nowadays standards yeah it is enormous but before 1989 I would say I was basically normal here :) 

All time top movie is local called Krzyżacy (The Knights of the Cross or The Teutonic Knights) based on novel from 1900. The film was released in 1960 in two parts as first of big national production co-founded from government money. Total cume over the years is 32 315 695, so basically that time everyone in the country saw it :D 

From foreign movies probably all time best is Apache Gold (German: Winnetou, later retitled to Winnetou – 1. Teil), also known as Winnetou the Warrior a 1963 Western film based on German novels. Cume of this movie is about 23 million adm.

Numbers of that movies are untouchable nowadays, after 1989 best movie in box office is With Fire and Sword from 1999 with 7 151 354 adm. and that is with a big help from schools because that was compulsory for, I think, every school to see this movie because it's based on a novel, the first part in The Trilogy of Henryk Sienkiewicz [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trilogywhich was and still is required reading in schools.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

So TFA keeps the second weekend record. Pretty crazy.

TFA was a beast in its own right. When you consider that Endgame opened to 110M more than TFA, had a very respectable second week drop, yet still couldn’t top TFA for the second weekend record. Endgame is going to be the king of the box office in a few weeks, but TFA’s domestic run is something at which to “marvel” at as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

TFA was a beast in its own right. When you consider that Endgame opened to 110M more than TFA, had a very respectable second week drop, yet still couldn’t top TFA for the second weekend record. Endgame is going to be the king of the box office in a few weeks, but TFA’s domestic run is something at which to “marvel” at as well.

If it´s not Avatar 2 or 3, i don´t see a movie beating TFA in the next 5 years. Only inflation Will do...

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

3D is dead they said.

Tick tock, 18 months to go.

A lot of developing markets force 3D, by putting the major blockbusters in majority 3D screens (or a huge portion of the total screens). Hell, my local Cineworld had IMAX exclusively in 3D. 3D IS dead when people actually have a choice. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

3D is dead they said.

Tick tock, 18 months to go.

3D is dead where Avatar did well i.e. West. Every penny from China is basically 3D and that's with almost every film.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

So TFA keeps the second weekend record. Pretty crazy.

Yup. As insane as that OW was for TFA, I am now convinced 300 would have been obliterated had it opened in summer. It had a gigantic PTA but it couldn't reach the same number of theaters as EG, due to the busy holiday season and, of course, the gross was spread out across that period (leading to that huge second weekend as well).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

3D is dead where Avatar did well i.e. West. Every penny from China is basically 3D and that's with almost every film.

more 3d tickets sales now in the west then there were 18months prior to Avatar

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

I don’t get the 3D gross. It’s dead in Australia. There are virtually no 3D screenings here. 

In the local area across 3 theatre complexes, from 2 theatre chains with a total of 16 screens there is only 1 3D session tomorrow out of 32 Endgame screenings. 

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

more 3d tickets sales now in the west then there were 18months prior to Avatar

The reason was spillovers from 2D. You can't open 357 (btw that will be 10 days of Avatar 2) from just 2D.

Ohh wait. I just overestimated it. Make it 14 days.

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

The reason could be spillovers from 2D. You can't open 357 (btw that will be 10 days of Avatar 2) from just 2D.

Charlie what's your prediciton for Avatar 2 out of curiosity?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

I don’t get the 3D gross. It’s dead in Australia. There are virtually no 3D screenings here. 

In the local area across 3 theatre complexes, from 2 theatre chains with a total of 16 screens there is only 1 3D session tomorrow out of 32 Endgame screenings. 

In most of Germany for example, its the opposite.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Charlie what's your prediciton for Avatar 2 out of curiosity?

Without seeing trailer and seeing how forgetful original is.

550+ DOM.

600+ China

30+ India

1300+ Rest

2500+

• Like 2