sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

A thought just crossed my mind. Obviously there was no way EG’s second weekend was going to beat IW’s opening, but did you know that there have been two times where a film not only broke the OW record, but then its 2nd weekend was also over the previous OW record? It happened with Return of the Jedi, then with Batman.

Obviously not really relevant to anything with EG, but an interesting tidbit, and one of those BO occurrences that will never happen again.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 4

44M would put the Friday jump slightly better than IW. Hopefully West Coast delivers and numbers go higher. 

Assuming 44M estimate stays, then following IW trajectory throughout weekend get it to 160M (-55%). Though, I could see worse Sun drop, IW’s -21.5% Sun drop just seems way too good (best 2nd Sunday drop for Marvel summer openers I believe) But I can also see a better Sat jump than IW too, so maybe things will balance out

• Like 2

If Friday is 44+, then that would be the approximate increase of AIW. Why wouldn’t it follow the same increases/decreases as AIW for the rest of the weekend? I think at least 160 should happen. I have 162.95 in the derby! 

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

We're talking about Avengers: Endgame here.

Forget everything that you think you know.

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

303lsv.jpg

is this what we educate the kids with?  fake #s and fake records?

Edited by Slave Animal Rights

as much as I want to piece together the top 20 for fun instead of doing other things,

I can't because the box office is fake, Avengers: Endgame proved it

I guess the point is to take no educational nutrition with you when analyzing the box office, it is just a waste.

at least when you cook, imaginary mass (imaginary numbers) don't ruin the science behind it

if the weather is fake and rigged too, should climatologists be paid off then?

• ...wtf 2

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

ten years ago, this memorable superhero film released

Image result for origins wolverine claws bathroom scene

Image result for origins wolverine claws

This is a much better movie than The Wolverine(2013) which was far too middling to remember anything about.  Origins is consistently entertaining mess.  I still remember seeing this at the theater in Reno with some buddies while on vacation snowboarding at Lake Tahoe.  Fucking hilarious movie.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sam said:

44M would put the Friday jump slightly better than IW. Hopefully West Coast delivers and numbers go higher. 

Assuming 44M estimate stays, then following IW trajectory throughout weekend get it to 160M (-55%). Though, I could see worse Sun drop, IW’s -21.5% Sun drop just seems way too good (best 2nd Sunday drop for Marvel summer openers I believe) But I can also see a better Sat jump than IW too, so maybe things will balance out

It's Friday increase is following so closely with IW (that increased 102.9% from Thursday), I don't see why it wouldn't follow closely to IW on Sunday as well, especially considering the same calendar configuration and Fandango's claim that Endgame is seeing 85% more repeat business than IW.

• Like 1

#AvengersEndgame  #NorthAmerica(USA 🇺🇸 Canada 🇨🇦) Friday BoxOffice at 8.40PM EST 

$24,719,493 from 2720 Locations 

@Avengers

Source: Twitter- OverSeasRights.com

Don’t know how reputable this handle is, but I’ll go with it. After all, Deadline’s numbers are often meaningless too. Anyways, Endgame is definitely going above 44M, if there are still late evening shows on the East coast and the entire west coast evening shows reminding. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

It's Friday increase is following so closely with IW (that increased 102.9% from Thursday), I don't see why it wouldn't follow closely to IW on Sunday as well, especially considering the same calendar configuration and Fandango's claim that Endgame is seeing 85% more repeat business than IW.

Yeah following IW’s trajectory is the most logical comparison right now. 

Its just that that with so much demand already burned off, I can’t help but be more skeptical about the Sunday drop (which, as I mentioned, far and away the best for a MCU summer openers)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Yeah following IW’s trajectory is the most logical comparison right now. 

Its just that that with so much demand already burned off, I can’t help but be more skeptical about the Sunday drop (which, as I mentioned, far and away the best for a MCU summer openers)

Well if its any help, people are very mad about GoT so maybe they'll go see Endgame again on Sunday night instead lol

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, TServo2049 said:

A thought just crossed my mind. Obviously there was no way EG’s second weekend was going to beat IW’s opening, but did you know that there have been two times where a film not only broke the OW record, but then its 2nd weekend was also over the previous OW record? It happened with Return of the Jedi, then with Batman.

Obviously not really relevant to anything with EG, but an interesting tidbit, and one of those BO occurrences that will never happen again.

I love your box office history insights! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Black Panther also had the same Friday increase as IW, but went up 65% on Saturday versus 48%. When the box office is this high, we shouldn't just take for granted that it's going to perform identically; even "just" a 40% increase off $44M would give Endgame a Saturday $15M higher than IW.

10 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

#AvengersEndgame  #NorthAmerica(USA 🇺🇸 Canada 🇨🇦) Friday BoxOffice at 8.40PM EST 

@Avengers

Don’t know how reputable this handle is, but I’ll go with it. After all, Deadline’s numbers are often meaningless too. Anyways, Endgame is definitely going above 44M, if there are still late evening shows on the East coast and the entire west coast evening shows reminding. 

Last weekend they were quite credible. 

They post the numbers as per "x" time and at "x" number of locations.

Considering it's only 8:40pm in New York and 5:40pm in California, 24.7 million from 2720/4662 location is quite good. 

Be warned though, the unreported theaters seem to be much smaller than the sample that is usually reported. You can generally add 1/3 of the reported number to get a good estimate of the whole number. 

For example, 24.7/3 = 8.23.

So 24.7 + 8.23 = 32.93 as of  8:40pm EST and 5:40pm PST. 

I'd say if true, those are some damn good numbers. Still quite a few late shows to go on East Coast, and almost all night shows to go on West Coast. These figures do generally include presales, so keep that in mind too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TServo2049 said:

With the wide releases we have now, that's never gonna happen and with the record set this high by Endgame by now, that makes it even more tough.

Said that, there were few instances, films setting weekend record in "not" opening weekend. That is also impossible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Black Panther also had the same Friday increase as IW, but went up 65% on Saturday versus 48%. When the box office is this high, we shouldn't just take for granted that it's going to perform identically; even "just" a 40% increase off $44M would give Endgame a Saturday $15M higher than IW.

This is true. 

But it's also been following IW % wise pretty well mid-week, and if that extends to the Friday number, it's just as probable to continue to follow IW as it is to deviate from it, regardless of actual $.

Of course, we won't really know until we get those Sat early numbers. 

I'm just throwing out another plausible perspective. 

23 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

@Avengers

Closest comp I could find for that Friday number

• Thanks 1