sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

3 hours ago, Taruseth said:

Why is it more poor, if one is being honest than both money and adm. are pretty awful.

More tickets sold -> more people watched it -> it's more popular

Tickets in the Us aren't expensive when people are calculating with an average price of $9...

For that, you should look up some Indian movies from the 70s (don't remember its name, sold like 200m adm. in India and 60m adm. in the USSR)

Heavily based on country, in Germany, for example, it's really accurate (whole system based on adm. which is why the highest OWend is still HP1 for example) (but € is just as accurate), for Japan it's the same, most European countries count the adm. (Italy, France, Poland, Spain etc.)

For the US most adm. are estimates

Titanic was small in the eas (but at that time it was gigantic, think it was the biggest movie in China for like 10 years or so)

That's true, there are just too many variables influencing everything.

Going to stop you there because if you’re implying by “more popular” to mean higher demand, that’s absolutely false and you should take an intro to economics course.

Quantity is a function of price, determined by price.  Look, for example, at the change that’s happened in theaters recently. 

Prices have not changed at the same rate as the actual inflation rate, why?  There’s changing cost structures in how theaters work, they are opting for bigger, luxury seats which reduce the capacity each of their theaters have, and respectively increase the price.  If the theater does so where the revenue from a sellout will be the same as it was before (just spitballing with this one as it’s an example, it may not actually match like this), then while they’ll sell less tickets they’ll make just as much revenue, potentially more if they weren’t selling out the old theaters but are selling out these.  

In that case to, sure if there were two movies and one movie sold out one old theater and the other one new one, the movie that sold out the old one would have higher admissions and “adjust” higher.  But holding everything else equal you couldn’t really say that the old one was more popular, because a lower price will result in a higher quantity demanded, actual demand for the two movies could have been exactly the same!

Then take into consideration that there’s a vast amount of other similar factors also going into this, and hopefully you can see why comparing popular movies to each other from vastly different times is in itself a futile task that you aren’t going to get a real answer from no matter how you try and measure it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The only event in 2010’s is the infinity saga films and the MCU in general. Maybe if the Star Wars films hadn’t fizzled so fast they could be in the discussion. All the other theories and narratives (from TFA to WW2) are just to make people feel less sad that these two movies destroyed their favorite franchise. Now we give awards for 2nd weekend in the U.S, 3rd weekend in Lichtenstein, 4th weekend in Burma e.t.c.

What the heck? Seriously, that's why I avoid engaging with fanboys. How is, for example, saying that Frozen is the movie event of the decade in Japan something controversial? Even if TFA had remained number one worldwide for the decade, there is no way anyone would call it the event of the decade in Asia where Furious 7 from the same year made more than it. Saying that the IW saga is the only event of the decade is objectively wrong since there are places where it won't finish at #1 or even close. 

3 minutes ago, Bagatelle31 said:

Intouchables is not the biggest movie in France, even though it is very big, an Other did more 3 years before and is actually remembered a lot more.

The discussion was specifically about this decade so the movie you are talking about (Welcome to the Sticks) doesn't count. It basically goes: 

2010s: Intouchables

2000s: Bienvenu chez les Ch'tis

1990s: Titanic (All-Time as well)

7 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Anyone calling Endgame's box office a disappointment, or anyone saying that other people are calling it a disappointment, are only doing so to poison the well. Really, I'd like to commend those nitwits as outing themselves as bottom-feeders.

how can anyone call Endgame a disappointment???????? It's the biggest event film of the decade lol.

Edited by jaybox

2 minutes ago, Agafin said:

What the heck? Seriously, that's why I avoid engaging with fanboys. How is, for example, saying that Frozen is the movie event of the decade in Japan something controversial? Even if TFA had remained number one worldwide for the decade, there is no way anyone would call it the event of the decade in Asia where Furious 7 from the same year made more than it. Saying that the IW saga is the only event of the decade is objectively wrong since there are places where it won't finish at #1 or even close. 

The discussion was specifically about this decade so the movie you are talking about (Welcome to the Sticks) doesn't count. It basically goes: 

2010s: Intouchables

2000s: Bienvenu chez les Ch'tis

1990s: Titanic (All-Time as well)

It is the only event WORLDWIDE. 5 billion in 12 months. The rest are just movies that did good somewhere, one in the U.S the other in Japan and so on.

And sorry if my posts seem gibberish this morning. I'm working right now and using voice to text. Some things get lost in translation. 

We're barely over a week into the release of Avengers Endgame, and I just bought my ticket to see Spider-Man Far From Home

I guess it's impossible to say, but I wonder does this overlap in sales period much affect the movies, either upwards or downwards? Competing, or cross-promoting? 🤔

Just now, Clouseau said:

We're barely over a week into the release of Avengers Endgame, and I just bought my ticket to see Spider-Man Far From Home

I guess it's impossible to say, but I wonder does this overlap in sales period much affect the movies, either upwards or downwards? Competing, or cross-promoting? 🤔

In few years there will be always at least one mcu film playing in theaters :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I am not judging SW movies by Solo, i am judging disney’s attempt to make SW an MCU-light . The downward trend was evident even by rogue one , solo just solidified it hence many SW plans were put on ice or completely abandoned. The MCU , on the other hand , will have three 1 billion dollars plus worldwide films just this year. When SW films make over 20 billion in 10 years and that is without counting the non-MCU marvel films then we can talk.

That's not why it didn't do as well don't give me that crap. Captain Marvel went nuts and if anything the incels increased the total instead of decreasing. 

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Its 3 hours melodrama. Technically brilliant with some really good performances but like ... just really old and slow. If you didnt like the 1st act of ANH, you will probably despise GWTW.

Not a surprise. Titantic is much worse than Avatar imo. Not in the top 500 for me maybe barely yet people loved it. Not my cup of tea but apparently some thought it was the best movie of all time. Or they loved Leo enough to see it a dozen times in theater.

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Not a surprise. Titantic is much worse than Avatar imo. Not in the top 500 for me maybe barely yet people loved it. Not my cup of tea but apparently some thought it was the best movie of all time. Or they loved Leo enough to see it a dozen times in theater.

Saw it 8x myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

One of the greatest movie of all time, which more and more people agree in recent year

Wow I didn't even like the most that year. Different strokes for different folks.