sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

BOM had Endgame’s budget as $356m??

I just noticed this appears to be correct. 

I’ve never seen any discussion about it on here. That’s insane! Is that the biggest production budget of all time? 

In pure dollars, yes,

Although adjust for inflatation the 1968 Russian version of "War and Peace" still takes the cake as the most expensive film of all time. It cost 100 Million in 1968 dollars, which would be well over 450 Million in today's money.

Of course the Russian Government ,which finianced it, did not really care it made a dime of not. It was seen as a prestige product for the Soviet Union which was determined to make the biggest film ever to try to do justice to Tolstoy's novel.

Even today, the Battle scenes are just jaw dropping in their spectacle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Is Pikachu receiving any PLFs this weekend? If so, EG’s legs are going to be a little shorter.

It seems to share PLF with endgame in several markets. Its having all shows in the morning and post 6PM shows are all endgame. I think impact to end game is limited except little bit over the weekend. Already weekday iMax/PLF shows seem mostly empty for endgame except NY.

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

It seems to share PLF with endgame in several markets. Its having all shows in the morning and post 6PM shows are all endgame. I think impact to end game is limited except little bit over the weekend. Already weekday iMax/PLF shows seem mostly empty for endgame except NY.

The AMC near me has both a Dolby and an IMAX and both have two showtimes remaining today. The Dolby seats 242 and has currently sold 72 and 2 tickets for the two shows. The IMAX seats 279 and has sold 25 and 0 tickets so far for its two shows.

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Endgame will be a largely weekend movie from here on out.

Should see a 70 million weekend and likely a 35-40 million 4th weekend and then a 25-30 million Memorial Day. 

Just now, LonePirate said:

The AMC near me has both a Dolby and an IMAX and both have two showtimes remaining today. The Dolby seats 242 and has currently sold 72 and 2 tickets for the two shows. The IMAX seats 279 and has sold 25 and 0 tickets so far for its two shows.

At the theater I go too. It’s splitting the two big auditoriums. One will be Endgame, and the other Pikachu. Two ‘screening rooms’ 21+, One is Pikachu and other is Endgame. Imax morning shows are Pikachu, and evening shows Endgame. So Endgame is definitely losing PLFs this weekend. Splitting with Pikachu

43 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

BOM had Endgame’s budget as $356m??

I just noticed this appears to be correct. 

I’ve never seen any discussion about it on here. That’s insane! Is that the biggest production budget of all time? 

There is rumored bigger than that Pirates movie budget:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA733CA734&ei=VabQXN-dEoezggeey6t4&q=forbes+pirate+movie+410m+budget&oq=forbes+pirate+movie+410m+budget&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i21.2544.3384..3465...0.0..0.164.671.2j4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i160.ptE9ZJJsT3M

Fourth Pirates Of The Caribbean Is Most Expensive Movie Ever With Costs Of $410 Million

That said many are putting a bemol in that way of using spending has we can see the budget continue rising quite after the movie release and could include people bonus compensation, which other metric usually does not include them ( I am speculating here, maybe it is just they pay a lot of people/SFX/third party quite late or tax/tax credit maneuvering and they are all actual movie production expense).

That said:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10068015/filing-history

For what is worth the double feature Avenger 3 movie production UK shell company has quite the impressive cost of sales.

Has of 30 june 2017: 247m pound, with 10.25m tax rebate on the UK side, they got a lot from Georgia I would imagine not much done in the UK.

the 12 next month: 429m pound !

For a total spent by 30 june 2018 of 677m pound (with a lot still to come on the next account update), 677m pound with today exchange rate is 886m, that comment of a 1 billion production in Atlanta was that far from the truth at least in some sense, will see next year.

The dual shoot combined must be I would imagine the biggest budget ever by a good measure, there is case of Soviet movie that would cost a giant amount if they were be made today and having to pay the extras and really long shoot that are hard to evaluate.

The highest "verified" budget that I know of is I think Spider Man 3.

299m net, in 2005-2006 money, was probably over 400m gross in 2019 dollar (377m net), if that 356m rumors is true for Avengers I would imagine it would be net, that would make it arguably cheaper than Spider-Man 3, to put into context of how "reasonable" it would be.

• Like 2

Last year third weekend for infinity war had a 46 % drop from 2nd weekend with 2 new releases each did 17.5 million 

so 35 million combined

this 3rd weekend

Detective pikachu 

The hustle 

poms 

All 3 prob combine for 75-90 million 

so who knows that effect 

29 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

So EG’s lead over FA will be less than $20m by Sunday? 

What I'm mostly curious is how Endgame will behave compared to TFA from the third and fourth weekends. I don't think TFA's domestic record is as safe as most seem to think here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

What I'm mostly curious is how Endgame will behave compared to TFA from the third and fourth weekends. I don't think TFA's domestic record is as safe as most seem to think here.

I really think it is at this point. I think EG needed a 50% drop or close to it which would have led to big 2nd weekdays like TFA had.

It could have really really great late lags though. I guess we'll see.

19 hours ago, Robertron said:

Although a big drop, it's 1.8m higher than TFAs second weekend but need to keep in mind that TFA had holidays. 

@RtheEndcan you confirm if AEG now holds the second weekend record? I can't think of any other film that could be higher. 

17 hours ago, RtheEnd said:

Yes it does

For shame, America.  For shame.

(I haven't forgotten about you Canada.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

These are evening shows right. That is really low. I was talking about morning/matinee shows. There is little demand for them over the weekdays and those are the ones Pikachu would take away. Good decision by Plexes.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I really think it is at this point. I think EG needed a 50% drop or close to it which would have led to big 2nd weekdays like TFA had.

It could have really really great late lags though. I guess we'll see.

My bet is that once the holiday season is over to the TFA numbers, EG will start to truly show its legs.

That happens after the next weekend.

My other hunch: 

Once Endgame tops Avatar, and that's around Memorial Weekend, the hype around the film will make the film have bigger legs than expected for a film that opened to the amount Endgame. I believe we'll get Endgame going for a very strong run until Lion King cutting the number of thewter, only to get a rexpansion around August. I think the final multiplier will be around 2.9, with the film making bank from now until October / November. After that, I wouldn't be surprised with a re-release next February due to a possible best film nomination, and going fucking bonkers if wins the Oscar for best film. 

Runs of THE biggest films of all time are always wild, and while I get why people are still treating this film like yet another superhero film at the box office, I think we will start singing a different tune around the weekdays of the next week, going into the memorial weekend.

Two movies that i’ve seen this year and wished they’d done better at the box office are Wonder Park and Long Shot. Long Shot was really good. It’s an old fashioned comedy like baumer said. It wasn’t even that overly political. I did not feel politics being forced down my throat. It’s unfortunate that both movies didn’t find a lane. 

• Like 1

Endgame needs a 3.14x multiplier off its second weekend to beat TFA. Far from impossible, but it's not going to be easy either. Infinity War achieved a 2.97x multiplier off its second weekend, whereas The Avengers achieved a fantastic 3.43x multiplier off its second weekend. 

20 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

These are evening shows right. That is really low. I was talking about morning/matinee shows. There is little demand for them over the weekdays and those are the ones Pikachu would take away. Good decision by Plexes.

The show are up to 89 & 4 for tonight's Dolby and 37 & 0 for the IMAX. If EG clears $10M, I don't think it will be by much (maybe $12M or so at most).

• Like 1